Is MAC garbage?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a mac catback on my 93 its been on since 97 and still looks brand new, theres no rust on it at all. I used to run a mac offroad H on it and after a year and a half it was all rusted, and just plain looked like crap.

I have the catback and catted pro chamber. I also have the CAI. Everyone has opinions . I know for a fact their exhaust products are good. I had them on a previous stang. You will get 20 different opinions. Just go with what you feel comfortable. I personally am very happy with the exhaust products.

My Prochamber has been fine. I had the O/R H for a while and before I installed it I bought some high temp ceramic coating and sprayed it before instalation just to allow more rust protection. When I traded it for the Prochamber I sprayed it again and the guy that has it now hasn't had any problems. It's about 2 years old now. I'd spend a couple of bucks for the spray on coating to at least give it some protection.

In MAC's defense .. and to defeat the myth that "all mac mid-pipes rust after a year" .. they have a coated version of every mid-pipe they sell, which costs around $30 extra, and they don't rust.

If you don't get the coating, expect what any other thin tube of metal at high temperature exposed to elements repeatedly would do.

I had the old style Mac cat back w/ the chrome plated tips on my GT..

The tips started to rust after the first year. The dealer where I got the exhaust called MAC and told them of my problem....They stood behind their product and sent me a brand new Stainless tipped cat back for no charge.

I give them :nice: for customer service!

The newer MAC stuff comes with a different coating(black) and their cat backs are offered with stainless tips. The fitment was much better with the new kit as well...

I've head mixed opinions on MAC products, depending on the part. I had an O/R H by MAC on my old 5.0 and i had no worries at all; it even installed pretty easily and matched up perfectly to my Flowmaster 'cat-back' and the JBA shorty headers I had up front. Other MAC parts like TBs, intakes, CAIs, etc seem to have a hit or miss reputation. I guess a good rule of thumb to follow is not to by any used MAC parts, because you might be buying someone elses headache

badmofo, you are going to love when you get your pulley and idlers on, it will be a different car !!! When I put my 03 cobra back to stock it felt very slow. I don't know if you have researched the topic but a chip and better heat exchanger would be advised as well as different plugs.