Is my car slow or is traction an issue....

Makdaddymac

May 28, 2005
orlando
hey all
mods in my sig...........2.73's(ol auto gears) and bald tires.....I just took my car out to get a feel for it before i put in my 4.10 rear......so i can hopefully feel the difference....

and man this thing is so slow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!like it just makes noise...something has to be wrong! i put it in first and it just winds up! i dont know if im having a problem or my tires are just spinning and not able to make noise or smoke cause there so worn out.....i put it in (not too fast but speedy)second and it just kind of bogs out even from 3-4k shift it seems like it has top end but i really can only get it too 4k without thinking the police are going to come or my neighbors reprt me..

ive asked before but could the 2.73's really make this thing feel about as fast as a v6 blazer

• Sponsors (?)

You should be able to tell if your tires are spinning, the ass end is going to be all over the place. Take it to a shop to look at it, it seems like you messed something up when you put your h/c/i together.

I nearly have the same combo as you (check my profile), first gear just winds up on my 60% tread street tires at WOT, no marks, no screeching; I always figured it was my mystery no name clutch slipping (ruled that theory out), or KDWS tires must be a hard compound, or the fact that first must be useless even in a h/c/i 2.73 Mustang. :shrug:

I can loose traction in second gear depending on the surface, it feels a 'little' bogged down below 2.5k then the vtec kicks in and it pulls hard to 5.5k. I can really feel the powerband in 3rd and 4th.

Once I put the 3.55 Turbocoupe rear in my car it should put it in the powerband quicker and stop a little better in the process. I hope those gears make a night and day difference for you, because Mustangs arent supposed to have 2.73's anyway.

i dont think the h/c/i messed anything up you can her the difference........and the thing was always a dog.......with its old aod. im going to get some better tires on the butt and see.....i really think the 2.73's are horrible, it really isnt a turd just not feeling like 250whp should feel..... or maybe the ol heavy sob just is boat.....off timing? something aint right.........
supercharger anyone?

I nearly have the same combo as you (check my profile), first gear just winds up on my 60% tread street tires at WOT, no marks, no screeching; I always figured it was my mystery no name clutch slipping (ruled that theory out), or KDWS tires must be a hard compound, or the fact that first must be useless even in a h/c/i 2.73 Mustang. :shrug:

I can loose traction in second gear depending on the surface, it feels a 'little' bogged down below 2.5k then the vtec kicks in and it pulls hard to 5.5k. I can really feel the powerband in 3rd and 4th.

Once I put the 3.55 Turbocoupe rear in my car it should put it in the powerband quicker and stop a little better in the process. I hope those gears make a night and day difference for you, because Mustangs arent supposed to have 2.73's anyway.

Vtec? lol

well based on the mods you have and the fact that you havent upgraded maf or throttle body or gotten your car tuned, id say it's probably not running ideally...but to answer your question, yes 273's do suck, youll notice a big difference with lower gears...

you really think a throttle body would make a difference? wow.... i cant see 55 vs 65mm being that much a horsepower robber. the maf thing aint going to happen until i decide to go FI......otherwise its not necessary IMO.....

Yeah i have 2.73's too and my car feels a little slow off the line,but if i rev it up a little a take off i can break then loose easy...car goes sideways...If i rev it to like 3000 rpms and drop it it spins all of 1st gear without a problem...my tires are pretty quiet too...And i have no mods...well not H/C/I not as of yet...I cant wait to get 3.73's in this car Lets us know how she feels when you do the gear swap....:nice:

yah well i might go 3.73 or 4.10 i dont know yet either way 1st gear is a waste of time:rolleyes: so it really aint even worth the debate when it comes down to it.....hope this thing comes to life like i want it. i almost want the car to so feel faster than it is....so yeah peole that have 4.10's know what im talking about

Well, with those heads alone on an otherwise stock 302 you should be able to run mid 13s with traction, but that gear is definitely going to kill your ET. Go find a traction lok 3.73 Turbo Coupe rear end in a junkyard and swap out the whole differential....you'll be glad you did.

lol, yeah i hear yah,but im set on the 4.10's to have a 0-60 monster:D

and is it just me but i only have 222 post wtf? i think i have made that many threads

C'mon noob, only tech posts count towards your post count :rlaugh:

I'm probably getting 4.10s as well, you just need to make sure your car has power up to 6k and you can handle winding it out, otherwise they're a waste.