Is my gt a cobra?

• Sponsors (?)

So I'm taking votes!!!! keep it a gt or make it a cobra?

Wow--that's a real dilemna...

On the pro side:

-You have a Cobra VIN
-Ford production numbers will probably include it as a Cobra, since they probably just count the Cobra VINs in their database
-You're paying Cobra insurance rates

On the con side:
-It's not a Cobra, and never really was

I hate to say it, but I'd be tempted to not make it a Cobra, and just mod the crap out of it, so the insurance company was justified in charging Cobra premiums. That way no one could ever accuse you of misrepresenting the car. Not a judgment by me, just my opinion (and only because you asked).

i would try to keep it stock as they come and detail all your findings. think of the value of that car in 20 years. it will be the only GT cobra ford factory built. numbers matching. it could potentially be truly a 1 of a kind.

The ultimate test would be:

Pull the PCM and see what strategy it is running:nice:

That should give you a pretty solid answer on what the car really is. Vin numbers can move and so can parts, but who is going to go to the trouble of changing out the cobra computer and replace it with a gt one:p

Phil

hey guys, I called ford today and I also did a carfax report on the car. What ford explained to me is someone goofed when the car was build and put the wrong vin on the car. They said it means nothing other than its reg. as a cobra.

Since you have a GT, I would keep it as a GT and call the insurance company to send a representative to review your case and the information that Ford gave you. $30 a month is a decent chunk of change.

wow.. if this is real, and not some mistake on your part, then i would NOT modify the car one bit until you have some idea of what is worth. it could possibly be something a collector would be after

I ran into the same thing with my old car and my insurance agent being a fellow mustang guy explained to me that in 95 there were a whole bunch of left over cobra shells left over so the assembled them with all the GT package stuff. That is cool to hear about another one. Clean car also by the way :nice:

its not the origanal vin tag

sounds to me that someone took the vin tag of a cobra and the other obviouses stuff like codes on ther door and did a good job of it i have a mustang blue book and red book and they decode and descibe in detail every difference in the 2 there are a ton of diffs like spind widths track bar diameter things that dont meet the eye...

Um, we covered all that earlier in the thread tommy2. There are several places on our year Mustangs that have the VIN number; all the original body panels have a sticker with the VIN number, there is a plate on the dashboard which can be seen through the windshield, and the door tag. All of those matched and said the car was a Cobra.

We in this forum are very aware of the differences between a GT and a Cobra. The third link in the 94-95 Tech forum is a sticky leading to this thread, detailing the differences.

+1 on marching your arse into the insurance company and not only demanding they change you premium to a "GT" premium, but also refund you the difference you've paid since starting the policy! I don't give 2 craps what the vin "says", the car is a GT. With Ford's explination on your side, you should easily be able to get the policy changed and recoup some cash.

Just call back and see if that Ford rep can fax some kind of note to the ins. company explaining the mix up.

Sorry to raise the dead...but I found this thread pretty interesting. I was lead here while doing a little VIN research on Google.

So, I wonder who the lucky sod is that has a pace car with a GT VIN? :)

jk