Is my Manual Transmission shot?

While driving home today in my 05 GT, I noticed that the gear shifts were getting softer and softer until I could barely find 1st, 3rd, or 5th gear; 2nd, 4th, and reverse seemed gone. I don't think it's my clutch, as the gears would engage but finding them was very difficult. It sounds strange, but it's like the gears we're "floating" and I had to search with the shifter to find them. I installed an aftermarket Hurst short throw shifter a few years ago, could this be the problem? Maybe something came loose with the shifter linkage? Has anyone else had a similar problem? I'm gonna have a look under the car tomorrow, hopefully it's something simple(AND INEXPENSIVE!!!) Can anyone offer any advice or insights? Any and all replies would be greatly appreciated!!

• Sponsors (?)

I would definitely start with the shifter linkage, if something came that loose in the tranny you'd have some pretty major sounds to go on, and I doubt it would go in gear at all. Since you didn't mention any kind of terrible noise, that's what I would go for.