Is the Mustang II worth getting?

admaster99

Founding Member
Jul 5, 2002
Iowa
Hi all, I recently found out that there is a 77' Mustang II Cobra available for 1500 dollars through my girlfriends uncle. It is fairly nice the engine is rebuilt with 5,000 miles on it, it's a 302 the guy said it is really suped up with a 650 cfm 4 barrle edelbrock, rockers, etc. He says its kicking out around 300-400 hp. The body is really solid he just painted not to long ago, but because of the poor paint job its already showing what looks to be signs of rust with rust bubbles. But besides that it looks really good the chrome trim looks flawless, and its got brand new tires. The interior is also really nice. I was just wondering if this is worth buying because I really want it bad, but I don't want a car thats prone for problems. Also how does the underbody hold up on these cars because the axle, and suspesion and stuff underneath look really rusty, but maybe its just dirty. The guy says its about 80% restored with minor work but other wise its in perfect mechanical condition. I think the cars body has around 140,000 miles on it. Also how can you tell if its a real COBRA because I did't see any cobra symbols on the body just a 5.0 symbol and it doesn't have ground affects. But on the interior door panels it says cobra II. Any help would be appreciated thanks im taking it for a test spin this Sunday I can't wait.
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

look in front of the radiator on the top of the core support there should be a bucktag somewhere up the i think it should have a CO or CB on there for a cobra ... im not positive i didnt know they came with a 5.0 emblem ..ive never seen one on a II , does it look like the emblem on the fox body?

admaster99 said:
Hi all, I recently found out that there is a 77' Mustang II Cobra available for 1500 dollars through my girlfriends uncle. It is fairly nice the engine is rebuilt with 5,000 miles on it, it's a 302 the guy said it is really suped up with a 650 cfm 4 barrle edelbrock, rockers, etc. He says its kicking out around 300-400 hp. The body is really solid he just painted not to long ago, but because of the poor paint job its already showing what looks to be signs of rust with rust bubbles. But besides that it looks really good the chrome trim looks flawless, and its got brand new tires. The interior is also really nice. I was just wondering if this is worth buying because I really want it bad, but I don't want a car thats prone for problems. Also how does the underbody hold up on these cars because the axle, and suspesion and stuff underneath look really rusty, but maybe its just dirty. The guy says its about 80% restored with minor work but other wise its in perfect mechanical condition. I think the cars body has around 140,000 miles on it. Also how can you tell if its a real COBRA because I did't see any cobra symbols on the body just a 5.0 symbol and it doesn't have ground affects. But on the interior door panels it says cobra II. Any help would be appreciated thanks im taking it for a test spin this Sunday I can't wait.
thanks

If its got Cobra door panels possibly there wasn't much difference any way between a true cobra ---cobra II door panels, snake in the grill, side window louvers w/snake and a stripe kit and spoilers It should have a v/8 symbol not 5.0

once again check the buck tag

If your wondering about prone for problems no more than any other car just availability of restoral parts are slim and expensive.

Here is what you are looking for:
View attachment 525210

It will be attached to the top (or bottom) of the radiator support.
Besides CB it could also have CBR for an original Cobra II. The entire buck tag, door jam, and vin decoder info can be found here:
http://www.mustangii.net/vin.asp

There are no real tell-tale signs, after 27 years, of whether or not it was a true Cobra II besides the buck tag, and maybe the interior code found on the door. Stripes, scoop, spoilers, emblems, & louvers can all be added, or in your case removed. Whether Ford had it done, or John Doe did it, it was done by somebody. In the end, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, since a nice II is now a rarity in itself.

I'd say if you want the car as bad as you say you do, buy it!
If the buck tag doesn't check out, how many people are going to be looking for a little CB stamped somewhere under the hood of your car anyway?

Most important thing to look for is rot and cancer.

If the frame and unibody is solid it may be worth persuing, though I would have a hard time paying $1500 for a II with fresh paint and visible rust.

I can tell you that i havent regretted purchasing my 76 cobra II since the day I drove it off the lot (used) I let my father take a look at it and he said its the straightest (used/unrestored) mustang II he has ever seen, hardly any rust and awesome interior. Im going to tell you what everyone here told me when I was in your position... You already show interest in the car enough to come on here and ask about it, You can get reproduction parts for them and it is driveable... just buy the darn thing and be happy!! You wont look back on this as a mistake trust me... I was in your position once, and in a few years that price is gonna just go up because mustang II are becoming few and far between especially cobra II and good ones at that!! pick it up and you wont regret it once you take it out for that first spin and notice all the looks you get from passers by! :nice: take my word for it, its the best feeling in the world!

I bought it!

Thanks all for the responses, well I drove it today and of course I love it. It's very very fast because its supped up. Um its in awesome condition got a better look at it in the light, interior is like mint(need back headliner anybody have one black?), and I'm pretty sure its a cobra because it has a spoiler, a cobra in the front grill, on the door panels and I think it had cobra stickers on the side windows but didnt look that closely. Drives great I asked him about the underneath and he said he redid the floor panels the back quarters are brand new and the back trunk he redid all of that. The paints not as bad as I thought it was, the exhaust sounds awesome homemade exhaust with stainless steel pipes, brand new tires 60's all the way around. Windshield is cracked but hes got a new one for it. And the original rims. This car is very worth $1500. Put down payment of $500 to him today and will hopefully pay the rest within a week or two. Once I get it I will post pictures and see what you guys think I'm so excited. One question the only think that I noticed that didn't work was the blinkers does anybody know how to fix these? thanks

Yeah maybe I have to finish paying off the car and wants I get it I can look at it and figure it out I figured it was a bad fuse or blinker capacitor or something like that i dont know I will have to look at it when i get it thanks for the ideas though

CONGRATULATIONS!! :banana: You will love your car! keep in touch here at the board and by all means post pics!!
PS You stole it for 1500.00 look on e-bay, a good clean cobra II runs from 2500.00 to 5000.00 :nice: