Is this a crazy idea or would it work (shaker hood conversion)?

gsxrken said:
JerryS, you'll have the same problem I am having with the repo shaker and the Victor Jr intake on my 351W 69 Mach 1... that air cleaner (what air cleaner is that, by the way?) needs to be at the stock height for the seal to mate with the underside of the hood. If you're too high or too low, you don't have a seal. With the shaker, it is the same kind of pot luck, except instead of not sealing, you can't close the hood.

It's always sumthin. The air cleaner I am using is the K&N X-Stream. Basically, the lid is a filter too. If I cannot use the ford seals, with all the rubber products out there, something has to fit. I am not giving up on this idea. It will work, it is just a matter of finding the right materials. Frode is really close with his idea but I am of the opinion that the air pressure under the hood is greater than the downward flow from the scoop thereby negating any additional air flow.

• Sponsors (?)

This is also an idea, but it would require to fabricate a carburetor tray. From the black SEMA '69 Mustang.
sema20057858hlu.jpg

Okay I want in on this action. I want to look into this more for next summer or so. See if I can fabricate something over the winter, sounds like fun. Wonder if you could modify a shaker base to match your height desired. I would love to get a shaker on my car.

Jerry, that looks great, is it off a cowl-induction hood ?
Look at the holes in the firewall.
By the way, blocking off the engine compartment, would the standard Mach 1 scoop alone be able to supply enough air ? 750 cfm in my case. Mustangs with factory functional scoops always had the option to get air from the engine compartment trough the snorkle.

fvike said:
Jerry, that looks great, is it off a cowl-induction hood ?
Look at the holes in the firewall.
By the way, blocking off the engine compartment, would the standard Mach 1 scoop alone be able to supply enough air ? 750 cfm in my case. Mustangs with factory functional scoops always had the option to get air from the engine compartment trough the snorkle.

It is indeed off a cowl induction hood. You could just do the same thing and point it the other direction (i.e., the open part facing the bumper) but my idea is to just expose the top plate to the open area under hood scoop while leaving the air filter body to be fed from the air flow coming from the grill and under the bumper.

I do not know if the information was retained or not in the great board wipes over the past few years but I did this many many moons ago, I am pretty sure alot of people run a set up like this in fact, it is essentially no different than the setup used on a 68 1/2 428cj. Believe it or not this was also the option intended for the 69 GT as a bridgegap between the shaker option and no option, many original GT hoods still have the original hole cover with tape on them. I actually posted some of the original blueprints in my gallery at 69stang.com.

What I did was I cut the hole as large as I possibly could and still be covered by the scoop, I used a large base with a standard K&N filter and a smaller top. I bought some weatherstrip form JC whitney that had a square nylon clip on one end and a foam rubber bulb on the other, it clips right to the lip of the base and sticks up just high enough to create a seal around the whole base. Since I was not using turn signals I modified the back rear section of the scoop to vent downward thru the open section of the hood behind the air filter in the hopes that only cold air would enter the filter and hot air would escape up and out the back. It works perfectly fine and effectively but lately I have been considering that the reverse would work better. Even though they are smaller, the openings facing the window and cowl probably have the ability to pull in far more cold air than the front like a cowl hood would and so the heat could escape out the front. This of course owld be a lot harder to fabricate given the short height ofthe scoop to work in though.

I also have toyed with the idea of chopping right into the firewall, removing the snorkel and attaching a ribbed oval rubber hose right to the fire wall for even more cold air, there is no going back easily once you chop into it though and I haven't gotten that brave yet.

I know everyone is prbobly sick of seeing this:

-Stock drop air cleaner base with snorkel deleted and drain holes added to bottom (good clearance for fuel fittings and excellent carb mating surface)

-14" air cleaner and top

-1965 Shelby type scoop

http://forums.stangnet.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36716&d=1122403542

I would love to get a seal for between it and the hood like the one posted earlier.

From what I've seen, there are different baseplates that can be used to correct the height. You have to figure that the 351 and 428 have different heights, right? So the one from the 428, which is a taller motor, would probably fit pretty well when used with small block with a really tall manifold, and probably still fit most of the assembly under the hood (except the shaker part, of course).

Hi I have a 69 and I want the shaker but after reading what has been said here I think I may have a problem with clearance. I have the stock 351W and I just put the Edelbrock RPM intake, will one of the shaker setups work? Which one? Which company makes a good kit I see that are some out there with big difference's in price?

Buy a shaker top on Ebay from the late model Mach 1's and mount it to the top of the air cleaner. I did this to mine since I restored my original base and shaker and then packed it away since originals are big bucks. This picture shows the angle off but has since been adjusted, it was a fit test, you get the idea.
5z4jsrp.jpg

Buy a shaker top on Ebay from the late model Mach 1's and mount it to the top of the air cleaner. I did this to mine since I restored my original base and shaker and then packed it away since originals are big bucks. This picture shows the angle off but has since been adjusted, it was a fit test, you get the idea.
5z4jsrp.jpg

I did this with the original top from my Shaker. I'm running a 9.5" deck 351W with an Edelbrock performer intake, 1/4" carb spacer, performer Carb and Edelbrock 14" x 2" air cleaner. I fabbed up an adapter ring with some 1/8" aluminum sheet and riveted it to the lid of the chrome air cleaner.

I know it is not the most elegant solution, but the Shaker sits well in the hood. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• ShakerMod01.jpg
    ShakerMod01.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 165
  • ShakerMod02.jpg
    ShakerMod02.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 177
You can get the shaker and adapter from KarKraft. I think for both it was about 200 bucks. You can then fab up a base and midplate which are my plans in the future.... someday...
Kevin

Holy resurrected threads Batman!

I just stumbled across a great idea courtesy of our Aussie mustang brethren.

This looks like a great idea. Note that his intake seems rather tall. There is hope yet!
alloybase.jpg

shaker1-1.jpg

Attachments

• alloybase.jpg
    alloybase.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 123
  • shaker1-1.jpg
    shaker1-1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 173