IT'S NOT A 5.0!

• Thread starter Deleted member 38176
  • Start date
  • Sponsors (?)

Oh please! Everyone knows that the old 5.0 was the ****! Ford's 302s have rocked the house from the old Boss through the '93 Cobra. The new 5.0 and the Boss are back, but they have a long way to go to live up to the legacy. They're off to a good start, though :D

I still disagree and think the 4.6 doesn't naturally rev, and in large part because of the bore to stroke ratio. There seems to be an NA limit of around 330rwhp with an EFI H/C/I combo on the 4.6L. There are plenty of H/C/I small blocks out there making 400+ rwhp naturally aspirated, and some upwards of 7-800hp in some lb/displacement racing classes.

In stock form, yes, the 4.6 is more ready to rev with larger ports and overhead cams, but the valve size is limited by the 3.55" bore. Not to mention, when you try to get more cubes from a 4.6, you end up with a stroke that is much longer than the bore. Good for low end torque, but it isn't going to move the air to make big power up top.

Except for those durned hydraulic lifters, the 2-bolt mains, and a block that splits north of 500rwhp... Other than those things, which can easily be fixed by replacing the entire block and the internals, yeah, they'd rev to the moon, alright...

Read the above as sarcasm... Actually, revving was always the mod motor's strength. Stout blocks with as much capability for power as you could throw at it, solid mains, and an OHC that needed just a little work to spin to 7500+ rpm made it the clear choice in that regard. The advantage of the old 5.0 was the ability to stroke it out to a 347 and the absolutely gigantic aftermarket where it was so easy to make any amount of power you wanted to with the money and a cookie-cutter solution. 500rwhp? That's laughably easy with a 5.0.

Chris

Oh please! Everyone knows that the old 5.0 was the ****! Ford's 302s have rocked the house from the old Boss through the '93 Cobra. The new 5.0 and the Boss are back, but they have a long way to go to live up to the legacy. They're off to a good start, though :D

Plus isnt it crazy the new mustang V6 will smoke every previous base mustang GT!!!

But you'd still be driving a queer ass V6 and be in the company of morons like StatusKill.

225 hp V8>>>305 hp V6, I'd take the V8 alllll day long.

:lol: I think it is very impressive what Ford has done with the current V-6. However, the 6 could have 500 hp and I'd still take a 225 hp V-8. I think more than anything I love the sound :shrug:

Bahh, at least most people still recognize your SN95 as a Mustang. I can't even count the amount of people to this day that still ask me "what kind of car is that?" When I tell them it's a Mustang, they get a confused look on their face like I just lied to them....then the light comes on and they proceed with "Oh, that's one of the boxy ones....but it's not like one of the real Mustangs, right?" Sigh....yup. :rolleyes:

Whatever, dude... Well, the thought of getting outrun by a V6 in an old 5.0 sucks... so you got me there... but whatever, I'll be damned if a V6 is going to outrun me unless it's SERIOUSLY modded anyway. I'll take the 60+ extra cubes to build on, and the sound of it. No way I'd be caught owning a V6 Mustang.... or a 2v 4.6 for that matter :D

Whatever, dude... Well, the thought of getting outrun by a V6 in an old 5.0 sucks... so you got me there... but whatever, I'll be damned if a V6 is going to outrun me unless it's SERIOUSLY modded anyway. I'll take the 60+ extra cubes to build on, and the sound of it. No way I'd be caught owning a V6 Mustang.... or a 2v 4.6 for that matter :D

:fuss:

I agree nothing beats the sound of a V8. My 260HP GT may not be that quick but it sounds like the fastest thing on the road with its deep sounding flowmasters.

An to address one poster its been tested that the new mustang v6 beat the previous 3v mustang GT.

Not trying to bash the GT just saying times have really changes when a v6 nissan maxima can lay waste to a V8 performance coupe.