Jacking front end

1TallMF

Apr 17, 2006
Montreal
Alright guys, I realise this may be a retarded noob question, but here goes nothing...

How do you guys jack both sides of the front with a floor jack to put it on axle stands? Do you lift the car by the center of the front part of the K-member? I have an aluminum floor jack (minimum height 4") and even that seems to high to reach that part of the k-member. Or do you lift one side at a time and place an axle stand underneath? I tried that on 2 other cars before and it never worked, car started to topple-over sideways when jacking the second side.

I have to change my power steering rack soon and strangely enough this is the only thing that is boggling me about the whole job. Go figure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Unless I am misreading the above, couldn't you just floor jack under the k-member until the ft end is in the air and then stick jackstands under the unibody pinch points behind the front wheels?

Thats kind of what I was thinking, but my car is so damn low it doubt even my low-profile jack will fit under the front of the car. I thought I read you're not supposed to jack it from the center of the K-member though... I might be mistaken.

I have the same issue bud. I drive each front tire up on a 2x4 (one per side) so my jack fits underneath. I only have a Prokit - I wonder what the weedhoppers with Sportlines, etc do. :shrug:

I'm always hinky about lifting it at the middle of the K member (a jack slip - and it has happened - could really screw up someone's day). I generally use a jack on each side of the car if needing both sides up in the air. I leave jacks in place and have jackstands under the K.

just try to get your jack under the k member. i would seriously advise that you DO NOT try to jack each side individually. that's bad news. jack it up and put your jackstands under each control arm, if possible. if you are lifting the entire car up, jack the rear end up first, and put your jackstands on the axle, as close to the wheels as possible. that way, when you life the front, the axle will just 'turn' on the stands, and not bind. good luck!

I have the same problem.
With my car lowered I can BARELY fit the stock scissor jack under. I had a flat around thanksgiving and I couldnt get the jack even under the car. I had to go in from the front and jack up from the k-member then use another jack to get the wheel up.

PITA. But i usually carry my small floor jack with me now,

i have steeda sport springs 1 3/4" drop i currently have my car just about 2 ft off the ground, i didnt use 2x4's. I had to put the jack in through the front becuase the jack would hit the plastic pieces under there and i jacked it up by the X brace which is the lowest part of my car 3" if that since my exhuast now hits that I am going to custimize it some so it goes infront of the header make sure you put something behind the rear wheels.

I for 1 jack the car one side at a time and place the jack stands under the front control arm where the spring sits. I've been doing this for well over 22 years and never ever had any issues (safety always, always 1st). I even use this method when I put 4 jacks at each corner. After setting the jacks push on the car's fenders (side to side) to make sure there's no movement.

Oh when it comes to doing work under your car get rid of those stock jack crap they are not made for that kind of duty - just occassional tire changes. Get yourself a nice low profile shop jack. Sams club and other similar type stores sell these rather cheap.

I for 1 jack the car one side at a time and place the jack stands under the front control arm where the spring sits. I've been doing this for well over 22 years and never ever had any issues (safety always, always 1st). I even use this method when I put 4 jacks at each corner. After setting the jacks push on the car's fenders (side to side) to make sure there's no movement.

Oh when it comes to doing work under your car get rid of those stock jack crap they are not made for that kind of duty - just occassional tire changes. Get yourself a nice low profile shop jack. Sams club and other similar type stores sell these rather cheap.

Just bought a $200 aluminum 2-1/2 ton low-profile jack yesterday. I'm gonna buy 4 good axle stands this week. My dad had all this gear so I used to use his tools all the time. I'm on my own now, so I gotta start from scratch.

+1 i just drive my car up on the 2x4s then put the jack under the k-member and put some stands under the control arms, then also leave the jack there.

i do the exact same

mine has the 4x4 look but i have the xenon front air dam so its a pain.

if i have to lift the whole car up, its front first then the rear or else its impossible.

if i had an air bag system in the front. i would just put air in the front bags and not have to worry about anything lol ;)