Just had a guy try and tell me I had a 4.6 in my car

CManT1914

Feb 5, 2004
Killeen, Texas
So a customer comes in, him and his wife. They have an 02 GT. The wife asks me, "is that really a Cobra?" Here's how the rest of the conversation went:

ME: No, it's a GT, 5.0
HIM: What's it have in it?
ME: A 5.0
HIM: No, it's a 4.6
ME: No, it's a 5.0
HIM: No, somebody lied to you, it's a 4.6
ME: No, I've worked on that car a lot, it's a 5.0. I can go pop the hood for you.

He didn't say anything else after that. A few minutes later he starts talking about his Mustang.

HIM: Yea the computer went out on my mustang.
ME: Really?!
HIM: Yea, cus you know those computers wear down after time. Well since the car only had 37,000 miles on it, Ford replaced it for me. I also had some chrome rims put on. Ford told me that they would have to retune the computer to compensate for the extra weight. They told me they would put it on their dyno..... (our ford doesn't have a dyno :nonono: ) ...... and recalibrate it for the weight.
ME: Oh yea?
HIM: Yea, but I have no problem getting going, not with that sway-bar I got under there. The guy I bought the wheels from told me I could actually lose the sway-bar, cus of the extra weight the wheels add.
ME: Well, actually the sway-bar is for cornering, not straight line traction, you might wanna keep it on there.
HIM: Oh all right. I've got so much done to that car. I had the cam....... (just one cam?!) .......replaced, I had the heads replaced with some flat-tops. They put the Cobra cam in it, that gives me more power......... (gee I didn't know what cams did!!) ........ I got a lot of power in that thing. I switched out my whole pulley system. I went smaller.
ME: Oh yea, you got some underdrive pulleys? I had some, but I kept draining my battery with my stereo, so I took them off.
HIM: I don't have a problem with that, I have a bigger alternator.
HER: You know, I don't know why Ford ever made a Mustang without a shaker hood.
ME: Like the Mach 1? I like those too.
HER: Yea, you should get one too.
ME: Unfortunately they don't make one for mine. Because of the 5.0, you can't hook it up to the engine.
HIM: You could get a fake one. The real ones don't do anything anyway. My friend with a Mach 1 brags all the time, well we raced down the 1/4 mile, and I beat him by 2 car lengths. See, I have underdrive pulleys, so my engine doesn't have to push as hard. He was mad, I told him, man all you got is another 4.6 in there, just like mine. The only difference is the cam......... (again, just one?!) ........ it ain't nothing special.
ME: .............. walks away.............

:rlaugh: :lol: :rlaugh: :lol: :rlaugh: :lol: Poor guy, everybody in town has probably ripped him off at sometime or another.

• Sponsors (?)

like the conversation? hell I think we've all had the conversation at one time or another. People think my 04 has a 5.0 in it. Nope it's a bone stock 4.6. They think my 92 is hopped up because I got a 4 inch hood on it, and hooker mufflers. but it's stock and I drive it hard.

Don't you love when people try talking crap to impress the chick they got with them.

Yeah i have had that too. Some kid in an older 68-69 mustang was like nice what u got in there, i said 5.0. He goes nope sorry buddy its a 4.6L. I was like umm im pretty sure its a 5.0 wanna check it for me :rolleyes: . we pulled into a gas station and i popped it. He was oh, im like see my tail lights when they are horizontal its a 5.0L and when they are vertical its a 4.6. I love school idiots.

yep! When I first got my car I had some ricer tell me that my car was a 4.6L and that it would probably run a high 15 because his friend with a RSX took one the previous night by 2 car lengths. I thanked him for the heads up and putting it into perspective for me, I didn't know what was going on until he showed up, lol.

91LX_5L said:
haha lol thats good.

i had dealership sales guys trying to **** me around too when I was looking. YEA this is a 94 Cobra it has 400hp. what liers.

A guy in our car club bought a 94 Cobra that was made into a Saleen clone, had a Vortech blown 306 and a ton of other stuff...or so he thought.

Turns out only about half of what he was told was in the car is really there, and it intitially dyno'd at 180rwhp (tune was pure crap). My guess is that someone got to modding it, lost interest or ran out of money and sold it to a dealership that didn't check it :nonono:

Yea the same thing happened to me today. I was on my way to a somewhat local mustang shop to apply for a job, and at a light an S2000 pulls up next to me, which was very tasefully done, but the guy was a total dumbass. He goes, "that thing a sixer??" So i revved it up a few times. I was like that help you out? He was like well theres no GT badges on it. I was like well while im smoking you, you can see the MUSTANG GT on the back bumper. He was like "yea in your next life you'll smoke me in your 6" So i had given up on the fact that he thought it was a 6, and asked him what was in his. He was like a catback and a blowoff valve. I was like you got a turbo?? He was like naw man i don't need any power adders. At this point i was done talking to a dumbass, so i pulled away. At the next light he was like, "man you got a supercharger under there or somethin man cause you took off pretty fast." I was like no i wasn't even at 1/2 throttle. He just shook his head and turned right, and i went on my way. What a dingbat. :nonono:

I talked to a guy who thought he had a supercharger in his 96 GT. We both had our cars at the shop, so when his car was pulled out of one garage bay and sitting in front of another, we looked under the hood. I asked him where it was hidden and he actually said its a stealth model hidden on the underside of the engine. He went on about how much faster his car was then a 5.0. It got worse as he started telling others about his Steeda stang with a Steeda S/C. All I saw was a bone stock stang without a single sticker or anything that said Steeda. This guy talked to nearly everyone in the shop and I had to listen to the same crap story over and over. Too funny.

I told him that Ford had put 400hp in the 94/95 GTs so he had better watch out for them. The look on the guys face was priceless, cause he took me seriously and started asking about how fast it felt and sounded. OMG, what a joke. :)

Dealers??? I won't even begin with that uneducated group of car ignorant folk (for the most part).

I have met a few. I was a show not too long ago, I overheard a pretty interesting question.

"Whats better, a blower or a supercharger?"

I just kinda looked around and waited for one of the old timers to fix the situation. Everyone just kinda looked at him and walked a different direction.

Not as bad as the guy that tried to convince me that his fuel injectors were a direct port Nitrous system. He had a Bazooka sub that looked like a nitrous bottle.

Some people love cars, others pretend. I am all for the honest guy that wants to learn, but people like this just don't realize how stupid they sound....

It is kinda annoying, I've only had a couple of people ask that. One was a v6 firebird, and another was some older mustang (66-69? :shrug: ), and one guy at a goodyear store try to tell me I had a 4.6, :rolleyes: , I just told them it was the last year of the 5.0, the guy didn't really argue or anything.