Attachments

• 20121229_141923.jpg
    20121229_141923.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 20121229_141923.jpg
    20121229_141923.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Sponsors (?)

thanks man.... with auto body you have to just make a bunch of tack welds and dont let it heat up too much or it will warp to hell. I just wanted to cover it up for now and wasn't too concerned with looks.
i use a Lincoln 140 which i bought at lowes for i think $600 out the door. my roommate has a miller matic autoset, i dont care for it at all. they go for way cheaper on craigs list. Dont make the mistake of buying a harbor frieght welder

That's good to know. I was considering it, but I guess I'll just check Craigs for a better brand at the same price. I don't care if the paint is scratched.

The cage looks awesome!

That's good to know. I was considering it, but I guess I'll just check Craigs for a better brand at the same price. I don't care if the paint is scratched.

The cage looks awesome!
The harbor freight one I used constantly has power to the wire even when the trigger isn't pulled. I like to set my wire on the spot I'm going to weld and pull the trigger. You can't do this with a harbor freight mig welder. It will spark without the trigger pulled. Find a used miller, Lincoln, Hobart, or similar.. You should be able to get one for 200 or less. If you want to do bigger stuff get a 220v mig not a 110v...Keep in mind where youre going to use it. I can use mine anywhere theres 120v outlet but 1/4" thick steal is trickier. but with a 220v mig its cake...but you have to have a 30 amp source. miller makes a welder that can switch from 120 to 220 automatically.

Reactions: 1 user
The harbor freight one I used constantly has power to the wire even when the trigger isn't pulled. I like to set my wire on the spot I'm going to weld and pull the trigger. You can't do this with a harbor freight mig welder. It will spark without the trigger pulled. Find a used miller, Lincoln, Hobart, or similar.. You should be able to get one for 200 or less. If you want to do bigger stuff get a 220v mig not a 110v...Keep in mind where youre going to use it. I can use mine anywhere theres 120v outlet but 1/4" thick steal is trickier. but with a 220v mig its cake...but you have to have a 30 amp source. miller makes a welder that can switch from 120 to 220 automatically.

Good stuff. I'm thinking I'll mainly use it for exhaust-type stuff. Maybe some light body work like your hood if the situation calls for it. I don't have plans to weld any cages or anything. Not yet, anyway. I mostly just want to learn the skill. Thanks for the info!