K&N X flow top filter?

malcons66

Dec 20, 2005
Fort Lauderdale FL
Has anybody noticed a difference with the K&N x flow top filter on the air cleaner> is it worth the extra 60 somthing dollars?

Attachments

• X-streamlg.jpg
    X-streamlg.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Sponsors (?)

malcons66 said:
Has anybody noticed a difference with the K&N x flow top filter on the air cleaner> is it worth the extra 60 somthing dollars?

It should make absolutely ZERO difference. Here is my empirical evidence from my actual experience:

Dyno run number 1. Stock water pump, stock fuel pump, torker II intake, $25 paper air filter: 296 rwhp and 396 ft lbs torque.

Dyno run nubmer 2. Meziere electric water pump, holley blue electric fuel pump, RPM Air Gap intake, K&N X-Stream filter assembly ($130+): 300 rwhp and 400 ft lbs torque.

it will only make a difference if you have the car setup to take advantage of it. for instance ALL the engine air on my car goes through the hood scoop and into a sealed ram air box above the carburetor. i've got a 4" filter and flow through top. never done any back to back tests, but just from an airflow point of view (in this case) i think it helps some.

on your standard engine, the air filter is NOT the restriction. a 3" or 4" tall 14 inch air cleaner is a lot of surface area that will feed plently of motor.

jerry s... you numbers seem off to me. was this the same dyno? SAE corrected figures both days? i don't think you'd gain HP from an electric fuel pump (not much anyways), but an electric water pump should net you some. i'm willing to bet you've got a LOT more average power and torque than you did before, that is unless you didn't tune after to take advantage of the new parts.

Bullitt said:
jerry s... you numbers seem off to me. was this the same dyno? SAE corrected figures both days? i don't think you'd gain HP from an electric fuel pump (not much anyways), but an electric water pump should net you some. i'm willing to bet you've got a LOT more average power and torque than you did before, that is unless you didn't tune after to take advantage of the new parts.

Same dyno. The consensus opinion here was that my car stopped making power at 5900 rpm because of fuel starvation. It was suggested that an electric fuel pump would cure this problem, which was not a problem at the end and made no difference in my numbers. The only real change is that it is louder than hell. The marketing hype about removing accessory drag by eliminating the water pump was just marketing hype. At the end of the day, I am prolly still better off as I won't overheat while stuck in traffic. My numbers are still pretty good if you consider that I have a C6 in there with a crappy torque converter. My 300 rwhp is about 400 hp at the fly. If I were to put a built T5 in there, I would see another 40+ hp at the rear wheels.

BTW, could you post a pic of your sealed ram air box?

Mustangs and Fast Ford magazine did a story on air filter/air cleaner combo's. The top filter did the worst out of all of them and they contributed that to a dirty air flow because of the two different directions of incoming air. I was interested in one until I saw that information and it makes sense.

thehueypilot said:
Mustangs and Fast Ford magazine did a story on air filter/air cleaner combo's. The top filter did the worst out of all of them and they contributed that to a dirty air flow because of the two different directions of incoming air. I was interested in one until I saw that information and it makes sense.

I saw another article in which a shop tested a BB Chevy on an engine dyno with and without the XStream lid. The engine made about 5 more hp with it on.

jerry S said:
It should make absolutely ZERO difference. Here is my empirical evidence from my actual experience:

Dyno run number 1. Stock water pump, stock fuel pump, torker II intake, $25 paper air filter: 296 rwhp and 396 ft lbs torque.

Dyno run nubmer 2. Meziere electric water pump, holley blue electric fuel pump, RPM Air Gap intake, K&N X-Stream filter assembly ($130+): 300 rwhp and 400 ft lbs torque.

you have to many variables (changes) to say that the filter itself did nothing: manifold, water pump, fuel pump + filter unless you did the changes one by one and dyno'd after every swap you did.

12sec67 said:
you have to many variables (changes) to say that the filter itself did nothing: manifold, water pump, fuel pump + filter unless you did the changes one by one and dyno'd after every swap you did.

at most, it gave me 4 extra hp but between the filter and removing the accessory drag of the water pump, I consider it more likely that I picked up the extra hp with the electric pump. But the real deal was the intake.