KB Dyno tonight

• Sponsors (?)

Moonlight97GT said:
How does it feel on the street? Let us know what kind of numbers you get.

It feels incredible on the street. I can never floor it in 1st and have to be careful in 2nd. Today on the way to work, I went to pass a car at 80mph in 4th gear and as I go into boost, the car went sideways (the road was slightly wet), awsome(dangerous, but awsome). I will post them tonight or tomorrow. :D

raykrv6a said:
Are the 01's the only ones with head casting problems? How about the 02's-04's? Same issue with boost?

Only the 01's, they have a higher compression head (.75 higher) which only gives us about 1-3% or about 4-5 rwhp (n/a or SC). This hurts us by forcing us to run less advance in the timing resulting in lost hp. I eventually plan to get forged internal and go with differnt piston/heads and run about 8:1 compression, you can get 2-3 psi boost and be reliable. If I then run 93-94 octane I could run 2 psi more and should see about 475 rwhp (others are achieving this easily). I of course would have to upgrade to intercooler, but 475 would be fun. I am sure after this a new transmission will be in order.
:D

Edit: The timing on our cars is variable which is determined overall by the computer, Kenne Bell incorporates this into there chip, so it will run higher compression with colder air. The hotter it gets, the less the timing advance for safety (detonation, etc.)

mrpositraction said:
It feels incredible on the street. I can never floor it in 1st and have to be careful in 2nd. Today on the way to work, I went to pass a car at 80mph in 4th gear and as I go into boost, the car went sideways (the road was slightly wet), awsome(dangerous, but awsome). I will post them tonight or tomorrow. :D

Get a copy of the dyno chart, take a pic of it and post it please. Peak torque and peak hp aren't everything.

mrpositraction said:
Nobody said it was, I will do my best getting the actual graph posted, I have been having troubles getting stuff posted, it is always to big. (wish I heard that more)

lol.

PM me if you have trouble. I will resize it and can either send it back to you or post it for you. Your choice.

Sounds like the car is running good.................... :nice:

cobra killer said:
We just finished a 01 saleen with a KB install today.Im tuning it tomorrow.I'll post results.
Cobra Killer, I'm curious. Would Modular Powerhouse sell the KB "Big Tube" on it's own. I was looking at KB's advertisement and they stated that they won't sell the tube without their MAF meter :rolleyes: (typical). The reason I ask is that I'm about to buy the AED 9psi kit for my Mercury Cougar (checked into the KB blower first.....too much fabrication and expense to install on my car) and have gone ahead and picked up a 75mm T/B and 90mm MAF, but now I’m stuck for an intake tube. The K/B's tube seems like it would likely be a direct bolt on.

Gearbanger 101 said:
Cobra Killer, I'm curious. Would Modular Powerhouse sell the KB "Big Tube" on it's own. I was looking at KB's advertisement and they stated that they won't sell the tube without their MAF meter :rolleyes: (typical). The reason I ask is that I'm about to buy the AED 9psi kit for my Mercury Cougar (checked into the KB blower first.....too much fabrication and expense to install on my car) and have gone ahead and picked up a 75mm T/B and 90mm MAF, but now I’m stuck for an intake tube. The K/B's tube seems like it would likely be a direct bolt on.

I don't know if this will work out for you but Roush has a intake tube for $55.

Go to www.roushperf.com and do a search for "tube".
Tube, Clean Air
Item: SM01-8105-A
Price: $55.00

We got 340rwhp @ 5800 rpms out of my 6psi kit....like someone laid a ruler on a 45 degree angle on the chart and drew a line.

rwtq was 280 @ 1200 rpms...peaked at 320 @ 4000 rpms...back down to 280 @ 5800 rpms...a beautiful arc.

A/F was locked in at 12.0 all the way...on a rail.

It was a custom tune from my SCT guy up here in Toronto....ultra safe was the goal.

My other mods that are relavent to rwhp are a Basanni catted X, Borla catback and Steeda CAI...stock TB, and MAF.

Regardless of final numbers, it's the gains that count.

My baseline with a K+N (in the stock box with snorkle) Basanni X and Borla CB was a pathetic 225 rwhp and 250 rwtq...and thanks to a Diablosport mail order chip for my gears..she was running quite lean (A/F was in the 15's at some rpms..and pretty much all over the place) This was the 1st time she ever went on the dyno.

So...we gained 115 rwhp and 70 rwtq..and she's running nice and safe. I believe our gains were inline or more than KB.

I have the luxury up here of always running '94 octane...so I'm tempted to swap for the 8# pulley and a retune...it'll definitely give the rwtq a kick in the a$$....but not really sure if I want it..or need it. Other than dyno-bragging rights.

BUT...I'm running 4:10s in the a$$ end...so I'm having more fun with this car than I've ever imagined. It literally feels like the car just lost 1000 pounds of weight. And the "search for grip" can be evident in 1st through 4th...if you want to make them spin. It's not a track car...just a sweet road/show car that's an absolute blast to drive...you think twice before you mash it...and when you do..better be quick on the pedals and shifter.

I have the unfortunate fortune of taking car of my late Father's 1990 Morgan +8 (a 2000 pound roadster with a 3.9 liter fuel-injected Rover V8 pushing 200fwhp) and since the KB install on my Stang...the Morgan feels slow...real slow.

mrpositraction: a shame you didn't do a baseline before the install...cause it's really the gains that count...but based on your SOTP's assesment...you gained bigtime.

Congrats!!!! :banana:

I cant wait to see what you get, we have almost the same setup, only i have the full cat-back exhaust, not just the mufflers. I am not sure if that is worth any power, i hear conflicting reports.
Also, i spoke to Lisa from Kenne Bell, and she told me to get NGK-TR6 plugs gapped at .35
what did they recoment to you?

SonicB said:
I don't know if this will work out for you but Roush has a intake tube for $55.

Go to www.roushperf.com and do a search for "tube".
Tube, Clean Air
Item: SM01-8105-A
Price: $55.00

It is important to verify vacuum with these pipes. I tried a mac pipe with my modifications. The vacuum was more than 8inches. of vacuum The KB pipe cost half as much 4 inches of vacuum. This was worth 60rwh. Indication is maf voltage not increasing like its supposed too..

YellowJacketGT said:
It is important to verify vacuum with these pipes. I tried a mac pipe with my modifications. The vacuum was more than 8inches. of vacuum The KB pipe cost half as much 4 inches of vacuum. This was worth 60rwh. Indication is maf voltage not increasing like its supposed too..

I like the look of the Mac straight shot, and was thinking of getting it instead of the KB cold air, when I supercharge (w/ KB 9lb).....so you're saying that it isn't a good combo, and the KB cold air is much better???

If so, this is very important info!

95CobraStang said:
I like the look of the Mac straight shot, and was thinking of getting it instead of the KB cold air, when I supercharge (w/ KB 9lb).....so you're saying that it isn't a good combo, and the KB cold air is much better???

If so, this is very important info!

I have the Steeda Filter and Shield. 90mm Lightning MAF.

I am refering to the MAF to TB tube. This is probably more of a significant issue since my configuration includes cams, ported heads and 14#..
The Pipe size next to the MAF was sgnificant smaller. This presented volocity issues with my configuration.

The way to determine vacuum is to put a vaccum connection at the rear of the KB. Attach a boost guage. Watch the vacuum during a dyno run...

I still have 4 more inches of vacuum to find..
Who knows this may be the filter...

According to KB they only realized 2 inches of Vacuum during their tests using their pipe/cold air kit combination.....

For the spark plug question, I have TR20 Denso U-groove, this is a NGK brand.

As for the dyno results, I have good and bad news. The bad news first. The best run I got was only 279 rwhp, this is unacceptable. The good news is Kenne Bell agrees and is more than willing to help me get what I was promised. Ken has been more than great so far, he said that there is definetely something wrong and he is going over my cal right now. I need to find out the timing and Ken said that he will do whatever I want. I will let you guys know more later, meanwhile I am going to drink myself stupid so I can forget about these numbers. On the same note, the car feels pretty strong now, I can't wait till it pulls aroung 330 rwhp.

mrpositraction said:

As for the dyno results, I have good and bad news. The bad news first. The best run I got was only 279 rwhp, this is unacceptable. The good news is Kenne Bell agrees and is more than willing to help me get what I was promised. Ken has been more than great so far, he said that there is definetely something wrong and he is going over my cal right now. I need to find out the timing and Ken said that he will do whatever I want. I will let you guys know more later, meanwhile I am going to drink myself stupid so I can forget about these numbers. On the same note, the car feels pretty strong now, I can't wait till it pulls aroung 330 rwhp.

What brand dyno was it? Dynojet? Mustang?

mrpositraction said:

Man, you are making me very nervous, i am a week away from getting mine, but was not going to dyno it. Now i dont know what to do. how much does it cost to dyno the car? what did he say may be the problem, were you running super rich? was the timing off?

mrpositraction said:

Something is absolutely wrong. :shrug: You can have 279 rwhp with a few bolt ons. Hope you figure it out. If it helps, the first time I dynoed my car after the KB install, it put to the wheels 367 horses. I was very disappointed since I was hoping for 400+ rwhp. It took Ken about four iterations to tweek the chip calibration. I'm now putting 398 rwhp on the power mode and 418 rwhp on the shootout mode. That's with the 9 psi pulley. I'm yet to dyno the 10 psi pulley which is the one I have on now. With the smaller pulley the car feels like the mother of all beasts!! :nice: Let me know if I can help somehow.