King Cobra Clutch Does not fit!!!!!!!

Mr GT 02

Apr 8, 2004
Peabody, MA
I just got back from the shop that is installing (well not anymore) a King Cobra Clutch into my 02 GT. The clutch is TO SMALL! The clutch disc and clutch plate is smaller than the clutch I had in it before! WTF?!?!

I had odered this clutch from Mustang Tuning and all the part #'s on the king cobra seem legit.

Does anyone have any clue why this clutch wouldnt fit? Is there 2 different types of king cobra clutchs? Im thinking I got the wrong kit that was supposed to be for the earlier year mustangs??? I called mustang Tuning and they said that they only sell and ship the King Cobra that fits like 96-02 Mustangs except the 99 Cobra.

The part # on the box that the clutch came in IS M-7560-C302. And I looked that part # up and it is indeed the king cobra clutch......WTF?

AHHH! :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Heh

While talking to the guy from mustang tuning we had the same parts #'s
I told him the Part Number on the Clutch disc and Clutch plate that he sent me. and they matched the part #'s that he had on the other king cobra cluthes at mustang tuning.

I am just curious as to WHY the king cobra clutch that is made for the 96-02 Gt's Does not fit my 02 GT. I even measured the disc and plate. The STOCK clutch dics and plate is 11". The SPEC clutch that I was having replaced with the king cobra is also 11" But, the KC clutch is only 10.5".
WEIRD.........

So, Mustang tuning decided just to Fully have my credit card refunded and they would pay for the shipping charges that it will cost to ship the KC back.

Now I am Cluthless. :( With the car still on l=the list at the shop and patiently waiting for a new clutch :nonono:

Hey how much those Mcleod cluthes go for? and are they a qaulity clutch?

stang976 said:
damn that sucks. that mofo better fit on my 00 GT or i will be pissed. try centerforce dual friction if you have the $$

Yea....I wish I had that kind of money right now, I would definetly go Centerforce! But I dont have the funds right now. I need a clucth that is cheaper. Plus imma have to pay freekin Overnight delivery cause the car is still at the shop waiting for a new clutch. Arg :bang:
Im close to just getting another Stage 1 SPEC clutch. cause its cheap...but I have had nothing but negative expericing with them :(

3650 has a different input spline count and size than a T5 or T45 (whichever it is). That IS the problem. It's not the shops fault. They were given the wrong part to install.

Your car uses an 11" clutch and the King Cobra is a 10.5" Clutch.

tjm73 said:
3650 has a different input spline count and size than a T5 or T45 (whichever it is). That IS the problem. It's not the shops fault. They were given the wrong part to install.

Your car uses an 11" clutch and the King Cobra is a 10.5" Clutch.

Thanks for the info. i know its not the shops fault. IS there even a 11" king Cobra clutch? Why da fahk does the ad from mustang tuning say it fits all 02 mustangs?

Now im waiting on a Spec stage 2 clutch.....hope this clutch is good!

Dont get the Spec. Take it from many former SPEC users on this site...SPEC sucks...You will have that thing burnt off in less than 20K miles with normal driving!

No 11" Clutch in King Cobra version is available.

Go for the Centerforce clutch kit!

UNVMATT said:
Dont get the Spec. Take it from many former SPEC users on this site...SPEC sucks...You will have that thing burnt off in less than 20K miles with normal driving!

No 11" Clutch in King Cobra version is available.

Go for the Centerforce clutch kit!

Yeah, go Centerforce.

tjm73 said:
Yeah, go Centerforce.

I wish I could go centerforce.....but its to damn expensive. I can get a stage 2 Spec for only $289 at www.jdsperformance.com

I know that alot of people say that spec sux..and believe it or not..I was one of those people! lol

I had a stage 1 Spec. The throw out bearing was crap, and the clutch sounded like suttin was rattling in it when i was at idle.....

BUt hey, Shouldnt the stage 2 have better quality...its is a stage 2!
So far I am 0 and 1 with spec...i cant believe that I will be 0-2 with spec. That would just be plain CrAzY. But let me look around for some better prices on the centerforce before i do go Spec Stage 2!

Had a spec stage 1 on my 97 slowbie. Completely burnt up in less than 4000 miles. I switched it for a King Cobra and steeda firewall quadrant adjuster. This setup has twice the mileage and is still gripping as hard as day 1.

I have been in your position and really wish the KC would work on our 02's but that's not a possibility. I ordrered the spec stage 2 and love the pedal feel. Yes I can tell its not the best clutch but I haven't had any problems after 4k miles and I am hard on it. IF you have money I would go centerforce but if not i think w/ stg 2 you will be fine.

KC clutches have all felt way too stiff for my taste, but that's me. I love the way my factory pedal feels, it's just right :D

I've seen one place with 11" KC Clutches, but never was sure about it because I know nobody else sells them for the TR-3650.

When I get a new one, which hopefully won't be for a while, i'll just got Centerforce Dual Friction :nice:

Mr GT 02 said:
Thanks for the info. i know its not the shops fault. IS there even a 11" king Cobra clutch? Why da fahk does the ad from mustang tuning say it fits all 02 mustangs?

The ad is incorrect. It should read 86-mid '01 Mustangs. It will only work on Mustangs with the T-5 or T-45 trans and not the T-3650.