Knock on startup -- problem?

• Sponsors (?)

Mustang 4.6L 2V cold start rattle
Some 2001-2002 Mustang GT equipped with a 4.6L 2V engine and a manual transmission, may exhibit a cold start piston rattle. Engineering is investigating this condition using the quicker service fix (QSF) process. Do not atttempt any service at this time. Continue to contact the national hotline to verify condition. A serice fix should become available in the second quarter sumbit EDSR's adn continue to monitor oasis for updated information.

http://www.bullittarchive.com/html/modules/articles/article.php?id=115

3116 Can someone verify this number and also is it a message or a bulletin?
Mustang - Cold engine light ticking/rattle noise:
Some 2001-2002 Mustang GT and Bullitt with the TR3650 Manual Trasmission may exhibit a light ticking/rattle noise while driving after a cold engine start. The noise will typically occur between 2200-3500 RPM under light throttle (1/8 to 1/4 open) while driving. The noise may last for a few minutes (depending on temperature). The condition is due to the combination of light load operation noted above and normal piston to cylinder bore clearance present in the cold engine. To service, verify condition & reprogram the PCM with the latest calibration available via the just-in-time process if your WDS communicates with Fordstar. Also obtain calibrations on the Ford Professional Technician Society (PTS) website - select WDS then PCM reprogramming and click instructions for downloading...

Kilgore Trout said:
3116 Can someone verify this number and also is it a message or a bulletin?

This is what I received from Ford back in August of 2003 when I took my 02 GT in. The invoice reads:

"Road test EEC test flash PCM as per SSM15934 and retest"

(emphasis mine)

SSM = Special Service Message (I think)

The text of the SSM15934 was attached and was what you posted.

Thanks for the info, guys...but none of those seem to apply to me...

Mostly because I seem to only have the problem on a warm engine (and even the cold start rattle didn't seem to have a resolution). Anybody else have info or share in the problem?