Lab Scope Hook Up

p51302

Mar 17, 2004
San Diego
Have any of your used an oscilloscope to diagnose your car ailments? If so, how did you do it? Did you have to place resistors between your probe and the component you were testing, i.e. O2 sensor?

What I'm trying to get at is Fluke 98s can graph sensors in your car. How can I use my existing O-Scope to do that save stuff?

I've asked electronics guys about this, but they just look at me funny like there aren't any electronic components and sensors in their cars. They usually just know how to work on TVs and Radios.

Any ideas? Do you know who I could talk to find out the right answer?

I know guys who are low level EEC-IV tuners must know. But, I don’t know of any.

Help…

Thanks,
P51302

• Sponsors (?)

p51302 said:
Have any of your used an oscilloscope to diagnose your car ailments? If so, how did you do it? Did you have to place resistors between your probe and the component you were testing, i.e. O2 sensor.

Never had to put a resistor on an inductive pickup... To check o2 sensors I use an MT 2500 and just check the cross counts. If you need more info feel free to PM me.

My backrgound is computer electronics, so maybe I can help.

Most of the sensors are simple thermistors or variable resistors that don't produce an output that is useful on a scope. The O2 sensors put out a changing voltage that switches 2-3 times a second. That's too slow to give a good display on anything but a storage scope or one of the LCD display instruments like the fluke.

Although most oscilloscopes will generate sweep rates as low as 2 seconds, unless it is a storage scope or has a phosphor that paints and holds an image, the display is very hard to read since it doesn't repeat very often.

The things that will put out a useful display are the pip sensor, the VSS sensor, the TFI module, the EGR vacuum regulator, the IAC control voltage. They all generate a pluse that switches often enough to make a readable scope display. I remember getting an interesting reading off of the EGR sensor one time.

The MAP or BAP sensor puts out a 5 volt square wave that changes frequency with variations in atmospheric pressure. The base is 154 HZ at 29.92" of mercury - dry sunny day at sea level, about 68-72 degrees. You need an oscilloscope or frequency meter to measure it.

Baro or MAP test using frequency meter - run the test key on engine off. The noise from the ignition system will likely upset the frequency meter. I used a 10 x oscilloscope probe connected from the frequency meter to the MAP/BAP to reduce the jitter in the meter's readout.

There may be more but that is all I can think of at this time.

More thoughs...

The high voltage ignition system will work with an inductive pickup. Use one inductive pickup for the #1 spark plug wire and connect it to the external trigger input. That will trigger the sweep to start with #1 cylinder. Connect the other inductive lead to the coil output wire and to the #1 channel or vertical input. That will allow you to watch the cylinders fire in order. The inputs from the inductive pickups may be too much voltage for the scope to deal with, so proceed with care.