Lifter anatomy....pushrod cup newer vs old

my9302002

Oct 28, 2007
I'll try to make this short.
Trying to find the right pushrod length...thought I had it. Then I looked at some newer lifters I had laying around and I see a difference in the depth at which the pushrod cup lays in the lifter.
OLD LIFTER:
Pushrod cup just lays in the plunger, you can pull it up with a magnet to where it'll hit the retainer clip. Like a .075 distance.
NEWER LIFTER:
Pushrod cup sits flush against the retainer clip.
WTF??
So you can see the dilemma. If I turn the older lifter into a solid with washers at the base, I still have to put some seperate washers under the pushrod cup to bring it up flush with ther retainer clip.

So...the question is using the older lifter do I take the adjustment with pushrod cup at the base plus the required .030 preload, or at the top plus .030?

Thanks....
BTW...the newer lifter pushrod cup has a flared base which allows it to ride on the TOP of the plunger. That's why it's flush with the retaining clip.

• Sponsors (?)

I took it apart and really took a good look at it. The plunger body sits inside the lifter body. The plunger body snugs up nice and tight against the retaining clip. Now....the pushrod cup simply sits inside the plunger body right on top of the metering plate. I think it's just an older design....
It holds pressure perfectly, the motor maybe has 10,000 miles on it since I rebuilt it in the 80's.
Here's a pic...I just don't think it's worn out and maybe I was explaining it incorrectly
Here it is assembled

Attachments

• plunger pic 005.jpg
    plunger pic 005.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 129
Measured from the base of the lifter to the base of the pushrod cup with a c-clamp type caliper. Same height on new and old... Should have thought of this first.
Nice.