lifter question

bigsexxy422

Nov 27, 2009
ok guys here is my question. i have a colapsed lifter in my 5.0 and the cam and lifters are only about 4000 miles old. i know they should not go this fast but the guy who buillt my engine is a bit of a scam artest. so anyway my question is that if it is ok to install 16 new lifters on the cam that in is the engine. i knwo you arnt supposed to change one without the other but i figure if i put some cam break in lub on them and some engine break in addative to the oil i will be ok. any help would be great. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Roller cams usually last forever and don't wear very fast, But its hard to say without know if there was any damage done to the camshaft in your engine. I recently put a used TFS stage 1 cam in my wifes 91 GT and reused the old lifters without any issues. But did end up replacing the pushrods.

roller lifters (assuming theyre in good shape) CAN be reused on different cams and vice versa, its flat tappets that need to stay with the cam theyre broken into (because of how the cam wears into the lifters). if you only have one bad lifter, you should be able to replace it and be fine without touching the other 15.

yes, you can change them all, all i said is you dont HAVE to, at least with a roller motor. flat tappet may be different, but i cant really see why it would be if you replace with the same make/model.