Lifting the front with jack/jackstands - Best way to do it?

Jacob07

Apr 5, 2005
Missouri
I'm not too familiar with lifting cars. I recently bought a pair of jackstands and a floor jack. I remember seeing somewhere that the car should be lifted from the chassis under the door - at the notch close to the wheel. I tried that and it sounded like my car was getting ready to split. I couldn't get it high enough for the jackstand to even fit under the car. I could have kept going but the sounds were getting worse.

Is this normal and is that the idea place to jack it from? Also should the jackstands be put on the axle?

I've done a few searches but couldn't find anything specific to the car.

• Sponsors (?)

Man, I hope you didn't crunch up the bottom of your car.

If you're jacking up from the side you can ONLY put the jack and jackstands under the front or rear subframes. No other part of the underside of the unibody is made to support weight on a small surface like that.

The BEST places to jack up the car is either by putting the jack under the k-member in front (in the center), you can put the jackstands anywhere under the K-member or even under the control arms. In the rear it's best to just put the jack under the "pumpkin" and put the jackstands under the axle tubes.

Only jack from the side just behind the front wheel and in front of the rear wheels, on the subframes. And only if you need to, or cannot jack from the front or rear. Jacking on the body seam in the middle will most likely crinkle something.

I almost never do it that way, except in the rear to change axles, etc.

I always jack the front with a floor jack under the center of the k member and put the jackstands on either side. You can put them under the control arms, but make sure they will not slide or tip at the top.

I jack the rear under the center of the rear axle, and place the stands under the tubes. Make sure the jack pad is on the axle and does not bend the bottom of the diff cover. You can also jack under the control arms at either side in the rear.

And, yes, jacking under the front, if you are lowered, and, or, have an air dam, is a pain.

In the front, make sure the k member does not slide off the jack pad, due to the travel of the lift arm as it raises, etc. I put a hole in a pan that way.

Always block the wheels at the other end.