Live and learn

proeditor

Jan 3, 2006
Towson, MD
When I bought my Mustang I knew I wanted to add some easy bolt-on power gains, so I started out with the basics (i.e. CAI, performance muffler, underdrive pulley). What I failed to realize was how my choices in the short-term would effect what I have planned in the long-term. Specifically, the future installation of a supercharger.

I'm not totally beating myself up b/c, to be quite honest, I didn't know I wanted a supercharger until fairly recently. But that doesn't change the fact that I bought an ASP underdrive pulley without really thinking it through. I mean, who would want to underdrive a belt driven power adder?

So with lesson learned I've decided to pass along these two tidbits for my fellow performance seekers:

1) I am auctioning off my ASP pulley on ebay at a loss (as is usually the case when one makes a mistake). If a supercharger is NOT in your future and you've been thinking about some more bolt-on HP, feel free to bid http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=4645170295&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

2) For those of you are thinking of or just starting to make some purchases, especially those of you like me who are on a budget, remember to keep your eye on the big picture. Take your time and think it through. For example, don't invest in 4.10 gears for a 7.5 rearend if your goal is to add a SC or TC with more than 10 psi of boost -- instead save up and get yourself a 8.8 rearend.

Later gators,
-Frank

• Sponsors (?)

Good advice! I had to take off my LT Headers and Prochamber when I went to a Turbo system. They are for sale in the Classifieds section. I did stay with the 7.5, but added a Detroit TrueTrac and a Girdle. I am hoping that can withstand any abuse I throw its way. However, an 8.8 is a very wise choice for anyone considering adding serious power. Thank you for sharing!!

Well, i will add a word about the 7.5... if you have an automatic I think the 7.5 will hold up just fine for almost everyone in here! I hit my 7.5 with close to 500 ft/lbs when I would spray! So if you have an automatic I wouldn't rush out to put an 8.8 in...

scrming said:
Well, i will add a word about the 7.5... if you have an automatic I think the 7.5 will hold up just fine for almost everyone in here! I hit my 7.5 with close to 500 ft/lbs when I would spray! So if you have an automatic I wouldn't rush out to put an 8.8 in...

Yes, you sure did punish your baby, didn't you? I think I will be okay with my TT and girdle, but I have heard the same recommendation (going to an 8.8 for serious power) from a few shop owners now. I think I will be okay with my set-up.