LOST KEYS....no spare....NOW WHAT??

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure if it's true, but I heard that if you take the drivers side door panel off and look at the lock tumbler there are numbers on the back of it that a locksmith can use to make new keys. If that's just a myth, you can get new locks and a new lock cylinder...

mint93GT said:
I've got two young boys who like like to pick things up and take them places never to be found again. I've spent the last month tearing my house apart trying to locate my keys....then I spent a week grieving over the loss. Now I am ready to take the next step.......what do I have to do to get new keys for my car??

It is not as bad as you think. Call a locksmith to see what they can do for you if anything.

If it gets bad, get the door cylinders from a donar car and the same for the ignition. I dont know if you can get the ignition cylinder off without having the correct ignition key.

I know this is true with Chevy, but I'm not sure about Ford. When I locked my only keys in my Lumina, I wrote down the VIN and went to the dealership. They made me a new set of keys and I was on my way. I also needed proof of ownership on the vehicle.

Hmmmmm, I "slim-jimmed" my car open. So I have access to the doors. I might give the "serial number on the back of the lock" a try. Find out the truth about the myth. Seems easiest.
I like the locksmith idea too. Seems more definate. They do this sort of thing all the time?
I also thought of the VIN number.....seems logical to think there would be a key record somewhere that another key could be made from.
LAST......how expensive is it to replace the doors, trunk and ignition key cylinders?

cardudeusa said:
Including paint? What paint? I think I'd try the dealership first, then the locksmith. Just give the dealership a call and see if they know what your'e talking about.

LOL he thought that he wanted to replace his whole door!! :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

Just call a locksmith now that you got into the car, they do these types of things all the time

If this is the original ignition you have several options.

The vin may allow them to cut you a new set at the dealership.

Also all of the cars came with a metal placard in a plastic pocket in the original owners manual with the key code stamped in it. If you are not the original owner you may not have this.

I had a set re-keyed from a locksmith for $50.00. I would try the dealership 1st. Here in Texas you need a valid drivers license matching either the name on the title or a current insurance card listing this car. They charge $35.00 around here at the dealership for cutting it from the VIN.

When I got my first Mustang (90' GT), I got it at a local auction and it didn't have the door/hatch key. It did have the ignition key though. I took it to a local locksmith's shop and the guy took a blank key, stuck it in, pulled it out and filed it a little with a file, stuck it back in, pulled back out and filed a little more, over and over till' it went all the way in and locked/unlocked the door. I'm tellin' you these guys are amazing! The whole thing took maybe 10 minutes. Then I had him make a couple of copies and the total was $40.
If they can do it with the doors, I don't see why they couldn't do it with the ignition.
Just my experience... good luck with it!