Lots of newb questions. Long tubes, ECUs, etc.

Big Turkey

Sep 12, 2004
First questions. :)

Just curious. If I purchased an used chip from someone with a 03 and use it on my 04, would it be a problem?

Same question goes for if I take a 03 ECU and put it into my 04. Would that hinder anything?

I want to get a set of long tubes. Who makes a good set, that will work without modifying the Bassani X pipe?

If I have to mod it, how much of it do I have to cut?

Also, what's the difference between the Bassani mid-lengths and a set of long tubes?

I'm looking to pulley the car soon with a nice big shot of nitrous. I'm probably going to start small with a 50 shot and then work my way up to around a 125-150shot. I plan on doing a dry setup. The only thing holding me back is choosing which engine management to go with. Here is what I'm looking for.

I would like an EM system, chip/flash/programmer that will allow you to adjust fuel and timing values per RPM. At least 1000RPM, preferably every 500RPM. I really don't want to go standalone quite yet because my setup isn't severe enough to utilize it. I also prefer it to be able to datalog RPM, boost, timing and knock.

I like the programmers due to the ease of installation and use, but I'm told that all of them only have adjustments for fuel and timing globally and not RPM specific.

I don't know which to go with, and fuel trims will not be a problem since I plan on going with a wideband setup so I will be able to tune the fuel values myself.

I have a local shop that will burn me the Autologic Revolution chip, and they are pretty well known among the Ford crowd. But I don't know any info on that chip.

Also, will I need any additional fuel to run a big shot of nitrous? What's the biggest shot I could get away with on the stock fuel system, all things being on the conservative side?

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Big Turkey said:
First questions. :)

Just curious. If I purchased an used chip from someone with a 03 and use it on my 04, would it be a problem?
Chips need to have the same computer code to work, so you have to know that first

Same question goes for if I take a 03 ECU and put it into my 04. Would that hinder anything?
See above

I want to get a set of long tubes. Who makes a good set, that will work without modifying the Bassani X pipe?
Hooker, BBK, etc

If I have to mod it, how much of it do I have to cut?

Also, what's the difference between the Bassani mid-lengths and a set of long tubes?
The length!

I'm looking to pulley the car soon with a nice big shot of nitrous. I'm probably going to start small with a 50 shot and then work my way up to around a 125-150shot. I plan on doing a dry setup. The only thing holding me back is choosing which engine management to go with. Here is what I'm looking for.
I would like an EM system, chip/flash/programmer that will allow you to adjust fuel and timing values per RPM. At least 1000RPM, preferably every 500RPM. I really don't want to go standalone quite yet because my setup isn't severe enough to utilize it. I also prefer it to be able to datalog RPM, boost, timing and knock.

I like the programmers due to the ease of installation and use, but I'm told that all of them only have adjustments for fuel and timing globally and not RPM specific.

I don't know which to go with, and fuel trims will not be a problem since I plan on going with a wideband setup so I will be able to tune the fuel values myself.

I have a local shop that will burn me the Autologic Revolution chip, and they are pretty well known among the Ford crowd. But I don't know any info on that chip.

Also, will I need any additional fuel to run a big shot of nitrous? What's the biggest shot I could get away with on the stock fuel system, all things being on the conservative side?

Thanks in advance.
I tend to lean towards the Predator or SCT tools - reflashing is the way to go theses days. In the end, find a good reputable tuner, and let them recommend to you what they are best at.

peace