Lower control arm bolt question

Snikt89GT

Sep 6, 2006
Deland, Florida
OK, i'm trying to get my rear lower control arms out. I've looked at a few different how-tos. I'm supporting the control arm with the jack and the axle itself is on jack stands. I took the nut off of the rear bolt but I can't get the bolt itself out.

All of the instructions just say 'remove the bolt' which doesn't mean anything. I've tried jacking up slowly and resetting a few times, just like the shocks to get the bolt in the right place. It's not moving though. I can turn the bolt with a socket but I can't get it to move horizontally at all. Am I a retard or is it just stuck? Help.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

86bluecobra said:
any chance you can hit it with a hammer. just a tap then use a punch to get it the rest of the way out.

Thats pretty much how I did it. You can also play with the tension on the control arm w/ the jack.

It's best to have a jackstand under the torquebox so the weight of the car is not on the arm or axle, etc.

Also need a stand under the axle.

Then jack the lower arm until there is no load on the bolt and arm and axle. It should come out, by prying, pulling or a combination.

The only thing it can stick in is the metal sleeve in the lower arm bushing. I have never had trouble getting them out, even using firewood for blocks and all hand tools.

You could try unscrewing it while prying on the other end.

An Air Chisel with the pointed bit should drive it right out, the Bolts Seize up inside the metal sleeve in the bushings, make sure you put Anti-Seize on your New Bolts.

I'll give some of these suggestions a shot tomorrow, hopefully with better results. I feel like this suspension project is going to take forever. Not even done with the rear yet, and most of the hard stuff is in the front.

Haven't really had a day to work on it though, just been picking at it here and there

Geeez........ Well I finally got one of them out. Take a look at this bolt. I was going to re-use them, but not anymore..

It took a combination of a mini-sledge hammer, pry bar, and coil spring compressor to get some of the load off of the control arm. Even with the spring compressed it still took a ton of hammering to get it off.

Look how corroded inside the control arm too.

View attachment 421949

View attachment 421951

View attachment 421953

I swapped a rear in my '91 Coupe and had the same trouble. I was able to pound the bolts out, but the rear was on the ground. Decided I didn't like the looks of them either once they were out.
Trying to get those bolts out reminded me of changing the rear leafs on my "66:(

I've been working pretty solid since I posted last on the other control arm and it's still not out... I've spent probably 6-8 hours on these 2 bolts now. It's only probably 50-70% out. This is the most corroded, hardest bolt to take out i've ever seen.

I don't know how a shop would do this, but I can't think of any tools that would even help

I'm with Shakerhood. Mine looked just like that and I had to use a air chisel to get them out.

I have a quick question for you. The upper control arm looks like it's brand new. Please don't tell me you went to all the trouble of removing it only to put a stock arm back in.

Maryland Stang said:
I'm with Shakerhood. Mine looked just like that and I had to use a air chisel to get them out.

I have a quick question for you. The upper control arm looks like it's brand new. Please don't tell me you went to all the trouble of removing it only to put a stock arm back in.

Nope, i'm putting Pro3i arms in. Stock ones are going in the garbage.

I don't know how you would get an air hammer on it, the backing plate is in the way of that too. Not much to hammer on anymore anyway since the since the bolt is moved about an inch or so out and there isn't much sticking out anymore on the other side.

Snikt89GT said:
I don't know how you would get an air hammer on it, the backing plate is in the way of that too. Not much to hammer on anymore anyway since the since the bolt is moved about an inch or so out and there isn't much sticking out anymore on the other side.

Nobody said it was going to be easy, it's just easier than trying to hammer and chisel it out. The air chisel won't go straight into the bolt, you have to hold it at an angle. Yes, it will slip off a thousand times but that's the only way I know of to get them out when they're stuck.