Luggage rack removal and re-install? 90conv

91conv

Sep 15, 2003
fenton, mi
The spoiler and the rears of the outside rails come off with screws, but what is the deal with the rest? Are they held on with some kind of rivit? I need to remove it so I can re-paint the deck and then re-install this stuff. Any info would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Brilliant.

Thank you, Mr. Obvious.

My Ford Shop Manual is on loan to a friend this week, who just bought a Fox for his daughter. I was hoping (and still believe) someone would know this off the top of thier head, having done it before.

Yes the rest is riveted on, but have you ever considered just removing it permanently? I think they look great without it. It is cheaper to buy a good coupe lid then to pay a body man to fill the holes. I have not looked at my car lately but I think they are just black 1/4" rivets.
-Brent

You have to drill out 20 rivits. Have fun. :D

It's a sucky job. That's why I bought a nice coupe trunk lid for mine so when I do paint it - someday, I'll be losing the luggage rack. I've never seen anyone actually use the stupid things. :rolleyes:

Yah I bought a coupe trunk lid and then shaved the lock and emblems, looks really clean now. i'll try post a pic

Attachments

• trunklid2.JPG
    trunklid2.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 167
I took mine off of one lid, found the lid was rusted too badly, used another lid and refinished it when I painted my vert. It's an easy enough job. Changing oil is harder. Using a coupe lid does entail drilling three screws per side for the hinges, yet it is very simple. Trace the old holes from the old lid and transfer them over them to the new lid.

Use a drill just a bit bigger that the inside of the rivet and drill through. The rack just comes straight up. There is a gasket underneath it. I then took off the end caps and took out the rubber trim. Cleaned the metal part well, scuffed with a Scotchbrite, then shot color. Cleaned the rubber pieces, put them back together, matched the size of the rivets, put them back on. I then took body color and small brush and painted the heads of the rivets. Came out looking like brand new.

tjm73 said:
You have to drill out 20 rivits. Have fun. :D

It's a sucky job. That's why I bought a nice coupe trunk lid for mine so when I do paint it - someday, I'll be losing the luggage rack. I've never seen anyone actually use the stupid things. :rolleyes:

Me neither... I've always thought the luggage rack looked pretty ridiculous. Ford should have made it an option instead of standard... if I ever bought a vert the coupe trunklid would be my first mod.