M2300 Ebrake Adjust...

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
Ok, working on the 5 lug swap. Used the adjustable cable. What's the goal here? Get it tight? I got it till the cables didn't have slack but it didn't do anything. I've not bled the system yet but didn't think that mattered. Figured I'd ask before I fight with it

• Sponsors (?)

They will stretch, so don't go too crazy with your first adjustment. Get it right but not too tight that the rear wheels drag, and use the brake.

Just keep in mind the cable will stretch the first few weeks so you'll need to get under there and tighten it up a tad.

I think I tightened mine twice, and end result is the e brake will hold solid on relatively flat ground. Steep slopes, I'm nervous and park in gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
You'll need to bleed the brakes simply to expand the pistons out. The rear w brake is mechanical but it ratchets out the piston only if it's fully in contact with the pad to begin with. If you haven't bled yet, might be too muchslack.

Where did you end up finding that adjustable cable piece ? I need one for my swap as well I believe

Late model resto has em

https://lmr.com/item/M2810A/87-93-Mustang-Front-Parking-Brake-Cable-For-Rear-Disc-Brakes

0379f022b9e43611b5a546550a8f2bcb.png

Just a quick update, got the mc changed and brakes bled and all seems fine. Gotta get wheels on it to know how it all feels , but as far as the cable, all seems fine.

This is the same one I have. Level ground it is fine but on any hill, I leave the car in gear. There is also no way to do a Ken block ebrake 180. I just don't think there is enough pressure

I know the e brake used on drums are suspect going backwards, they work better when you want it not to move forward but I've thought disc worked really good both directions. Why are they not holding or did I miss something?

I vote tightening them up. I had to retighten mine a few times and there's a small window where you can get it tight and they begin to drag.

Mine holds fast on level ground and good enough on a hill but I'll still put it in gear.

The factory e brake on my 2003gt was awesome. Would hold on the steepest hills, and I sometimes forgot to put in gear. However if i yanked it while moving it wouldn't lock wheels, just slow me up.

I had to adjust mine a few times too, I also want to say that I think I added a few washers or a spacer in there so I did not have to run the nuts all the way near the bottom of the adjustment.

Are you guys routing the new cables in the same location as your drum brake cables? I noticed when i did the swap i had to pull the new cables closer towards the inner drive shaft area to really get any tension. Even then the adjuster rod is almost maxed out and the car holds on level ground but i wouldnt trust it on anything else. You would thin after all these years the aftermarket parts world would have perfected this swap.

From what I remember, same routing. I believe the nuts were nearly maxed out when I finally got it in the correct range. If I need any more, i'll use a piece of SS tubing as a small spacer.