MAC Prochamber: HTS vs. Durablack

stangbear427

Nov 11, 2002
New England
Since Durablack is relatively new and the search only pulled up one post about it (question with no replies) I'll assume that all the posting about it was since Jan 3 :rolleyes: and not feel remotely bad about posting this:

It's time to put a new mid pipe in the wife's little LX, and I'm having trouble comparison shopping for this online. Namely, no one seems to have much info on Durablack, and nobody seems to have a '79-'93 5.0 5spd 2.5" Prochamber for shorties in both finishes so that I can even see which one costs more. Anybody have a link to a site that sells both? Anybody bought the durablack yet? I know the old HTS coating isn't all it's cracked up to be, but I'm getting a Prochamber one way or the other so I'd like to hear some experience on the new stuff.

• Sponsors (?)

My Pro-Dumps are Durablack -- I'm not sure that they are doing anything BUT Durablack anymore. :shrug:

Mine had a chip in one spot on the end of one of the pipes -- so it looks like it can chip, but it seems almost like a powdercoating, so hopefully it will hold up well on the rest.

89sleeper said:
I have had experience with the HTS and it FAILED within a couple of weeks. I would go with the Durablack if you insist on buying something from MAC.

This was the first Mac piece I purchased in years (bad experience!) -- and although it wasn't as bad as I feared, it still came with a chip in the coating and one turndown slightly longer than the other. Not enough for me to warrant sending it back, but enough to annoy me. It did actually fit the car, so I think they have made some improvement over the years. :shrug:

89MustangGX said:
This was the first Mac piece I purchased in years (bad experience!) -- and although it wasn't as bad as I feared, it still came with a chip in the coating and one turndown slightly longer than the other. Not enough for me to warrant sending it back, but enough to annoy me. It did actually fit the car, so I think they have made some improvement over the years. :shrug:
I hear where you are comming from. I tried to give them another shot on a friends car by getting a throttle body. (Big Mistake). :notnice:
The quality was very poor and I didn't even bolt it on the car. I just sent it back. :nonono:

I've been using MAC exhaust for years with very little to complain about, but I wouldn't touch any of their other products if I was paid to. However, I've had three of their catback systems, a set of their shortie headers and a Prochamber, and feel I have enough experience at this point with the exhaust stuff to know what I'm getting into. This new coating is throwing me for a loop though, I still can't find a price comparison. Most places carry both finishes, just not in the same pipe application- not even at the MAC website. I'm beginning to think there's a conspiracy :bang:
Thanks for all the replies... TTT

I have the mac catback with the durablack coating..it's garbage..it's chipping off all over the place.. I mean don't get me wrong, the exhaust pieces themselves are nice.. but the durablack is a waste of time.. don't use it as any of your "buying points"