Made new mufflers at work today, pics........

Well over the weekend, the bolt that holds the alternator housing onto my block snapped off in the block so i have to fix that this weekend.

u2.jpg

BUT........

Im sure you guys have heard me rave about sweet thunder mufflers, they are one of the best sounds out there, so i made my own at work today, the cores are slightly different, but its almost of similar design so im not infringing on patents or anything.

These are the sweet thunders:

56K WARNING, LARGE VIDEO , i think its about 14MB
sound: http://media.putfile.com/SweetThunderExhaust_AWESOME

pic1small.gif

picABsmall.gif

Heres my prototypes im gonna try out this weekend on my big block fox, i used very very light stainless wrap as packing material becuase i wasn't sure if sweet thunder uses any packing, you cant tell from their pics:

u0.jpg

u1.jpg

111225.jpg

I spaced the louvers out in 5 sections about 2.5-3" a section and about 3 in. between sections.

The core is a little different but should be ok.

I have some short ones on my truck which has a cat and its very very deep, throaty and loud.

So, what do you think they'll sound like?

Attachments

• u2.jpg
    u2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Sponsors (?)

ExplodingGopher
Nice work !!

One of the best sounding mufflers on an LT1 i've heard..
Still nothing like the 5.0 sound ..lol

I hate LT1's etc because they sound like Ass with any exhaust or mods to car.
But your is alot different for sure !

"prototype" Plan on selling them overall or for 5.0's (shorter design maybe)

yeah its not my camaro, but i fell in love with the video. I am a welder/fabricator for a performance exhaust company whom im not gonna mention.

I made cores for 18" version too tady, but i figured it would be too loud being that short so i finished the larger ones which are 30" OAL, they should be PLENTY loud with the lack of perforations in the core, but should have a great tone and no interior resonance.

ExplodingGopher said:
Nope, the stuff i make is about 10 times more expensive and 10 times the quality than anything they put out.

hmmm...Start with a B?...lol

Still very nice work :nice: most mufflers now days all sound the same, I really like some of the new race mufflers that Bassani has come out with sincve they have a distinctive sound. Although expensive they will last a long time. I have also been using some Borla stuff that surprised me, like the Pro-XS.

no....no....and no.....lol..... more custom and expensive than bassani. :)

So far they are mocked up and i gotta tack them in place and clamp them on, they have turn outs welded onto the ends right now and come out pretty much right under the rear sway bar with plenty of ground clearance and turn almost directly at the sides behind the rear tires.

ExplodingGopher said:
im a firm beliver in making things myself and trying out new stuff, im curious as how these will sound, they will be very deep i know for sure, trust me, loud sounds good on my car :) borlas are outta my price range. plus i could make those at work for free, same design, im not really fond of them.

I dunno I just hate overly loud stuff, thats just me. I think your car would be PLENTY loud even with a regular muffler on there, like a borla style, and with that have an awesome tone.

Ok, just started it up for about a minute or so, its AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A little quieter than the race bullets, but deeper, no interior resonance, great tone, sorta raspy and throaty like the camaro in the vid.

Im impressed, i thought they'd be a lot louder, im very pleased with myself. :)