Major car shopping the last two days

u6crash

Apr 5, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'm still coming up empty. I'm looking for a 99-02 5 speed GT coupe and it just isn't happening. Friday evening I went with my cousin to look at a small used car place. They knew I was coming to look at that specific car, and when I called to say I might run a bit late, they said, "Oh, that car isn't here. It will be back next week." So we ventured out around many a suburb and hit small used lots and big Ford dealers alike. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some nice Mustangs, but none that were in my price range. I went to one dealer who had about half a dozen convertibles that all would have been great except that I want a coupe.

Then today I went out with my dad to look at one I found via FordDirect.com, and it wasn't there at the dealer either. We drove around and hit a few other places. Found an 01 Cobra with 33k miles, but out of my range. Every GT we found was an 03 or 04. Ran into a lot of jerky salesmen.

I came home and searched again, increasing my search radius. Now I'm almost looking at cars out of state. I found one at a Ford dealer with price of $13,998. I might go look at it, but I have to stay under $12,350 out the door and I don't know if that is possible at that price point. I'd say it doesn't hurt to try, but I've spent a lot on gas just driving around to look at cars that sometimes aren't even there.

• Sponsors (?)

Cobra_Red, thanks for trying, but I've seen most of those. The 2000 Red GT I saw today for the first time and I'm going to think about looking at it, but the cloth seats turn me off a little. It's a lot less expensive than some of the others I've seen, so I may settle for cloth in favor of saving money.

The 02 GT with 44k miles is the one I've tried to look at twice. Both times they said the car isn't there and it will be back next week. Both times it was about an hour driving down there.

Would I be wasting my time if I go look at an 02 GT listed at $13,988 knowing I have to get out the door just under $12,500?

Edit: Just for kicks, here is the one I was hoping to see today: Dk Blue, 02 GT

Cobra_Red, thanks for trying, but I've seen most of those. The 2000 Red GT I saw today for the first time and I'm going to think about looking at it, but the cloth seats turn me off a little. It's a lot less expensive than some of the others I've seen, so I may settle for cloth in favor of saving money.

The 02 GT with 44k miles is the one I've tried to look at twice. Both times they said the car isn't there and it will be back next week. Both times it was about an hour driving down there.

Would I be wasting my time if I go look at an 02 GT listed at $13,988 knowing I have to get out the door just under $12,500?

Edit: Just for kicks, here is the one I was hoping to see today: Dk Blue, 02 GT

I'd be more curious to know why the car WAS here, isn't now, but will be back next week?

I'd be more curious to know why the car WAS here, isn't now, but will be back next week?

Yeah, I don't know. The whole thing is fishy and I'm so sick of it that I don't think I'm going to bother with that guy.

On another note, I found another one that I might be interested in, but I'm not sure what to make of it. It's an 02 GT in gray with 101,000 miles. Leather interior, 6 cd changer, premium wheels. They're asking $9900 and I'm sure I can get it for less. One problem is that it is across state lines so it would be a bit of a hassle to get. I love the color, but it is a lot of miles. However, the money I save on it could make all the difference. Sure, it might need repairs down the line, but so might a car with 50k miles. Is it just a bad idea, or should I go check it out?

Yeah, I don't know. The whole thing is fishy and I'm so sick of it that I don't think I'm going to bother with that guy.

On another note, I found another one that I might be interested in, but I'm not sure what to make of it. It's an 02 GT in gray with 101,000 miles. Leather interior, 6 cd changer, premium wheels. They're asking $9900 and I'm sure I can get it for less. One problem is that it is across state lines so it would be a bit of a hassle to get. I love the color, but it is a lot of miles. However, the money I save on it could make all the difference. Sure, it might need repairs down the line, but so might a car with 50k miles. Is it just a bad idea, or should I go check it out?

I'd pass on that one. Too much miles for that price!