marking bolts

smitzer

Founding Member
Sep 23, 2000
Colorado Springs, CO
what do you guys use(if you use anything) to mark bolts/nuts to see if they are backing out?

I worked with some a&p mechanics and they had paint pens to make a mark and be sure things are not backing out. I can't seem to find them at any parts shops around here so I was wondering if anyone knows where to find them.

Had one suggestion to use white out, but I wasn't sure how strong that would stand up to temps and other engine area problems.

thanks for your help,
smitzer

• Sponsors (?)

Did you try a craft shop?

If you can't come up with the paint pen, you can always get the "touch up" paint for a white, red or whatever color you want car. Comes with a little brush that you can use to dab on the paint. Also a drop or two of blue locktite will dry up to a little blob that does the same thing.

On my formula ford I use finger nail polish to mark fasteners, passion pink! Granted it may not work on headers, but I wire them. It even works on my brake calipers, but they don't get as hot as a production cars would.

great thanks for the suggestions I will check them out.

I was just doing a gauge swap on my jeep and thinking that I would like to mark the oil pressure sender I installed to be sure it isn't backing out(of course I would drastically know if it came out!). I had to use a large wrench to install it and got pretty paranoid about over torqueing it, so I wanted to mark it to be sure that I didn't under tighten it and have it back out.

thanks for the help,
smitzer

Well, that's a different story, but the sender will have tapered threads as those are pipe threads. I don't think I've ever seen anything put in with pipe threads that have back out before, even with tape or pipe dope.

yeah, I hope it doesn't back out! that is just my paranoia though.
This brings up a question I have had about pipe threads and tape/dope.

do you "always" use tape/dope on pipe threads? I ask because(also on the jeep) the line that runs into the radiator from the transmission, for cooling, isn't exactly dripping fluid but is wet when touched, so I guess it is a very slow leak/seep. Would you use tape/dope on this fitting?

Just wondering about any of it getting mixed into the fluid and the effects it might have.

smitzer

Those would be flare fittings which have yet a different thread than pipe threads or, I believe, bolt threads. The threads aren't used to seal from fluid, as a matter of fact, they shouldn't see any fluid. The flare nut presses the flared end of the tube against the seat inside the radiator. Sounds like you might have a problem with the flare, the seat, or the end of the flare nut where it hits the flare.

I wouldn't use tape/dope on flare or compression fitting or on any transmission applications.

On pipe threads, I always use tape or dope. Usually the metals are dissimilar so this is the big reason I do this.

that makes sense thanks for the help.

I will go and check the flare, nut and seat and see if something is keeping it from going flush, or hopefully not cracked or gouged.

I am glad for your answers, I have been told a couple of times to throw some tape on it but that didn't seem right to me so I have still been asking around.

thanks 1320stang

I used to four wheel a lot and still have my FJ40 and I had things fall off or loosen during hard runs until I started using a thread locker called "Afterlock Loctite 271". It's geen in color and one drop will hold a nut and bolt very well without the use of any mechanical locking devices. It also alows easy disassembly when needed. I use it in a lot of different places on my Mustang.