Mass Air Sensor and Housing Identification?

MikeUrban

May 30, 2010
Chantilly, VA
Hey everyone! I'm piecing together my mass air conversion and gt40 top end setup. I was looking around in my basement and I came across this:

IMG762.jpg IMG763.jpg IMG764.jpg IMG766.jpg

It has an f3 part number which designates 80mm. Is there any way I can use this with my car? How do I get everything working together? I have 19# injectors right now

• Sponsors (?)

You can use ANY meter that you want so long as it's functional, has decent resolution, and predictable/repeatable results through the CFM range that your motor will be in. You will require a digital tune though. At minimum, the transfer fuction for that meter will need to be interpreted for the EEC.

If that's the meter I think it is; It's a Lincoln/Cobra meter and the curve of the transfer function is not the same as your OEM meter. The curve is not just higher or lower, it's a different curve altogether. Tuning is required.

So one of those SCT tuners or something?

If you can get an SCT tuner with the correct transfer function loaded. Dyno-tuning would be the best option if you're going to use that meter. You can also use someth ing like a Quarterhorse or TwEECer/RT. If you're not familiar with digital tuning with these devices, you'll pull your hair out trying to get it to function correctly.

Another option would be to use a Cobra computer (X3Z) and 24 lb injectors (since that computer was designed for that MAF and 24# injectors). My only problem with this setup is that the computer itself is not as widely supported as an A9x.

That would be awesome! I'm trying to stay on a budget, so I'd much rather get a stock one than a dyno tune! If you find one I'd love to buy it!

Well do this...

Goto this section of the forum: http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/forums/fox-body-mustang-wtb-trade-cars-parts.304/

and post a Want to Buy ad for a stock, Fox meter. Lots of people have them laying around because they've upgraded. You can probably get one for the cost of shipping.

If I still have the one that I think I have, you can always close the thread.

If I can get a stock MAF, I'm going to get a re-man from advanced auto parts by turning in one of my 2.3 computers as a core. For $100 it's worth a shot and I've read good reviews. If not I think I'll do the same for a 93 cobra computer, and grab some 24#s at the junkyard.

hey not trying to use this as a classified, but if you don't find a stock MAF I have one from my 90 LX that you can have for $20 + ship. Only reason I removed it was to swap on a 95 MAF. Works fine. Think I have the stock bracket to mount it too which I'll throw in.

What's the full part number? I can't make it out in the pics?

The F3 number on the sensor

Full number is F3VF-12B579AA AFH80-01

hey not trying to use this as a classified, but if you don't find a stock MAF I have one from my 90 LX that you can have for $20 + ship. Only reason I removed it was to swap on a 95 MAF. Works fine. Think I have the stock bracket to mount it too which I'll throw in.

Where are you located?

Also, back to the computer question. I found an A9P for sale on craigslist for dirt cheap, and I want to use that even though my car is a 5 speed. Any thoughts?

Full number is F3VF-12B579AA AFH80-01

Where are you located?

Also, back to the computer question. I found an A9P for sale on craigslist for dirt cheap, and I want to use that even though my car is a 5 speed. Any thoughts?

South Florida . Think it's a little too far to drive lol. That MAF won't work without a tune. You can use an auto computer for a stick, but not a stick computer for an auto.

If you want a cheap upgrade, look for a 94-95 gt MAF. It is a plug and play and calibrated for your stock 19lbers. Only thing you need to do either fab up a bracket for the MAF to lower tube or buy one off flea bay. It's a nice little cheap upgrade to a 70mm MAF and the MAF electronics are damn close to the stock one, not causing any driveability issues. PN F2VF-12B579-A2A. They are like $35 to $40 at junkyards.

My closest junkyard is like an hour and a half away, so the v8 cars always get cleaned out before I make it down. But I'll definitely look for a 70mm next time I go down there. If not, Mike, I'd be more than happy to buy your MAF for the price you suggested. I'm really getting into the budget build idea haha!

That's a Lincoln Mark 8 MAF meter.

Not really a plug and play application. You'll need a tune to get it to work with your car.

Thanks for the info, I might just try selling it or something.