Massachusetts Inspection Tough on Noise Levels

93gtmustang

5 Year Member
Oct 21, 2006
I went for my inspection today. I was hoping that I would pass emissions with my new motor and cam. They wouldn't even bother to do an inspection at all. They said that the state is getting tougher on sound levels. I have Flow Masters that are not new, and running 2- cats. Too loud they said. I asked if they have a set decibel level that you can't exceed. They said , it's a judgement call. That's not right. I went to 3 different inspection stations. There are pick-up trucks and Harley's around here that are way louder than my car. And the sad thing is, I only put 2000 miles on my car last summer going back and forth to the track.
It might be time to get a tow bar and make it a full out drag car.

1993 GT Mustang / Ford Racing GT-40 Crate Motor B-303 Cam / 24 lb. Injectors / Stock Ignition / MSD EFI Blaster Coil / Edelbrock 5.0 Upper and Lower Intake with BBK Phelonic Spacer / Professional Products 70mm Throttle Body / C&L C.A.I. w/76mm MAF / Stock Air Box w/K&N Panel Filter / Holley Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator / Electric Fan / BBK Underdrive Pulley's / A.C. Removed / BBK Short Headers / Flowmaster Exhaust / Tremec T-5Z / B&M Short Throw Shifter / Alum. Driveshaft / 3.73 Gears / Eaton H.D. Posi / Moser 31 Spline Axles/ Subframe Connectors / Line Lock / Driveshaft Loop / B&M Short Throw Shifter / BMR Upper and Lower Control Arms / Lakewood Adjustable Drag Shocks/ Holley 190 lph Fuel Pump /

• Sponsors (?)

Go to another station.

I have flowmasters on both my Mustangs and have never had a problem with sound levels. They just car if it has cats and passes the sniffer where I go. In fact, i've never had an inspector say anything about the sound levels..and my car is loud enough where my friends are always on the front steps waiting for me because they can hear me coming up the street

Go to another station.

I have flowmasters on both my Mustangs and have never had a problem with sound levels. They just car if it has cats and passes the sniffer where I go. In fact, i've never had an inspector say anything about the sound levels..and my car is loud enough where my friends are always on the front steps waiting for me because they can hear me coming up the street

My car passed safety no problem last year. They did't say anything about the noise last year, so it's something they have been getting stricter on just lately.
They are getting ride of the dynos (for 95 and older) by the end of September, so they need something else to pick at.
I might get some oem mufflers just so they will let me in the door!, and cut-outs that i can open up at the track. Then I hope I can pass the emissions with the b-cam. If not , I guess i'll have to go with an e-cam. Anyways , this is going to cost me.
I really like having my car street / strip . I'd hate to tow it and just be able to drive at the track. It seems like a waste to just let it sit like that.

Emmissions with a Bcam is gonna be tough. A friend of mine ran one and couldn't get it to pass.

I am psyched about them doing away with emmissions testing on OBD1/EEC-IV cars. That means i can run a nice cam in my '88

Emmissions with a Bcam is gonna be tough. A friend of mine ran one and couldn't get it to pass.

I am psyched about them doing away with emmissions testing on OBD1/EEC-IV cars. That means i can run a nice cam in my '88

Yeah, i was afraid of that with the b-cam.
I was told at the inspection station, that the registry is not saying what they will be doing after the dyno goes, as far as for example, a visual check for cats, or maybe just a idle tail pipe emissions. There should be a waiver for low mile, non dailey driven vehicles.

I agree. There should be some sort of waiver or way around. I don't want to go with anitique plates either as there are too many rules

Not like i plan on commuting 12K miles a year in it.

you can go to the same station for a sticker twice in one week and get two totally different opinions depending on who is working. Some people with inspection licenses truely apreciate the privelage and go by the book (and sometimes more) , others could care less and will pass anything. My advice....find the ladder of the two.

Yup just pull up to a station and ask "Excuse me...how much do you care about sound?"

Mom-and-pop type stations are good to go to, also stations where the people working there have muscle cars might be a good idea too. Ask around and see if you can find someone that would be lax.

There are other stations you go to where the people will actually pull your wheels off and check the thickness of your rotors!! I mean it's a good idea and all of course...but just don't doit to my car :)

im pretty sure there getting rid of the whole dyno thing...so we wont have emmissions on our cars nomore...just a quick look under the car for cats. not 100% positive but pretty sure according to my uncle who owns an inspection station.

The first station I went to was formerly owned by a guy who had muscle cars and had a dragster that he raced. They said that they where written up last year for passing a car with Flowmasters.

I was told that dynos will read different from station to station.
If you're going to have certain emission standards, then make them consistant.

lets put it this way- inspection stations are spot checked monthly,without notice. the fine for an illegal emissions inspection is in the realm of $50,000. You need to find a shop thats not on a "watch" and that is willing to let you know when to bring your car in.

It's not so much getting the car to pass without cats. It's just getting around the sound really.

As far as i know, there isn't a DB test. It's just POV of the inspector on if it's "too loud".

I really think it's going to be tougher anywhere you go now, from what I witnessed today. They all seemed really uptight, like someone up top put the hammer down on them.

Well, 'by the books' any alternation to the exhaust is illegal :rolleyes: Obviously they don't log the sound level anywhere so it's up to the inspector as to whether or not he feels like being a dick/sticking to the rules 100%. I failed years ago w/just a catback (stock H-pipe, headers, and engine) thanks to the inspector going by loudness only (didn't even put me on the dyno to run the sinffer). And naturally, years later w/the heads, blower, H-pipe (w/cats), headers, etc. etc. I passed with flying colors on the sniffer. It allllllll depends on who does it as far as sound goes.

Your options:

1. Buy different mufflers and eat the added cost - Dynomax Super Turbos or Ultra-Flows, or Hooker Maximum Flows would be about the quietest options at idle/cruise.
2. Get a different car.
3. Move to a different state.

You could hunt for another inspection station, but expect to have the same headache next year (or every other year, depending on how often they inspect).

Your options:

1. Buy different mufflers and eat the added cost - Dynomax Super Turbos or

i'm runnin this catback, and it is SOOOOOOOOO quiet until you get over 2k rpms and then it picks up and gets louder after that, no drone, but too quiet for my likings at low rpms.... maybe an option for you. i only have one vid of my car but it's rather embarrasing so i can pm it to you if you'd like to hear......