Master cylinder

• Sponsors (?)

Glad to hear you found it! Don't feel bad about not finding it, or about it being obvious if you had looked. I once had a nearly new GMC pickup that developed a bad miss with only about 35K miles on it. I took it to the dealer and explained that it idled fine, but would not accelerate. So what did they do? Not much. They hooked it to a diagnostc machine and let it idle. Evidently, they didn't hear me say it idled just fine. So they charged me $110 and said there was nothing they could do about it. I Took it home, and in frustration, just went to the parts store and bought new plug wires, plugs, distributer cap, etc. with the intentions of just throwing parts at it until I found the right one. I took the air cleaner off, and there right on top of the engine was a huge hole in one of the plug wires where it had been rubbing on the throttle cable bracket. The "experts" at the dealership never even removed the air cleaner for a look-see! That's one of the many, many reasons why I for one am not too surprised to see GM in the shape they are today...

always check vacuum lines first.....but then, I dont even have power brakes on my mustang(no room for a brake booster) so I'm not even thinking vacuum line

Sure you can have power boost. One of these installed anywhere, on the front brakes, or two if you want power rear, would do the job:

yb.dll?parta~showpic~Z5Z5Z50000042b~Z5Z5Z500468~Z5Z5Z51~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z5

what exactly is that? I may be interested...even though I already have a spaghetti looking mess of brake lines...is it some type of remote power booster? right now I have 4 wheel manual discs(sorry for the thread hijack)

It's a Bendix remote booster, factory equipment on many 50's cars such as Thunderbird, and still popular with rodders. I know a gent who has one hidden in the fender of his early Corvette, people look in the engine compartment without realizing he has power brakes.