Met the girl of my dreams today

• Sponsors (?)

Don't forget moms too. Pops is a big hurdle, but once over that one you're in a good position for moms. :D

Grats :nice:

Good call. I remember when I asked my (now) in-laws for permission to marry their daughter. I was actually asking for both their blessings. It was funny--the words were barely out of my mouth, and her mom jumped up, crying (for joy, I'm pretty sure :rolleyes: ), and ran over to hug me before her dad could even get his arm fully extended to shake my hand. Needless to say, all went well and it'll be 5 years of wedded bliss this September!

Count me as +5 on asking Dad. By now, Mom is just waiting for it to happen.

At least you get to follow the tradition. Never met my father-in-law; he passed away about 4 years before I met my wife. The closest I came to it was having a few beers by her Mom's pool with my old drinking buddy from college (Sue's older brother):

(And yeah, it's a couple college buddies talking; so it's a little PG)

Mark: "So, you and my sister.... Mother says she's staying over at your place now?"
Jimmy: "Yeah, sometimes; more and more often though"
Mark: "So, there's only one bed at your place, huh?"
Jimmy: "Only one"
Mark: "And that means you're probably doin' her"
Jimmy: "Do you really want to know?"
M "Just don't hurt her, okay?"
J "That isn't gonna happen. I'm trying to make this one permanent"
M "That works for me. Want another Foster's?"
J "Oh yeah."

You have to remember this is my college drinking buddy, we used to go "cruisin' boozin' and floozin' " in my Gran Torino; now his little sister is spending nights at my apartment, and their mother is a lot less than pleased with the situation. The discussion was...... kind of awkward :shrug:

Figured out that her mom wasn't ever going to approve; so I just didn't bother. Went with Sue to show her mother the ring; got a lot of :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and still more :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
It's a culture thing.... MIL cannot believe that I took her little girl away from the last outpost of civilization (apparently that's Tucson) and off to the western badlands (Yuma); and made her live the "Rural Western lifestyle". She's pretty sure we take the outhouse down and put in the "Fake-running-water" system just before she comes down to visit. And she tries to get back to her hotel room before 8:00 PM nightly, because she knows that's when we roll up the sidewalks and fight indians for fun.

After 24 years, (which is 5 years longer than her marriage lasted) I think she's finally approving of me. Or she's just waiting...... :rolleyes:

So I'm getting pretty nervous.

About what? Do you want this girl? I.E. to spend forever with? Figure that out now; and, if you do, just do it! My wife could decide to be rid of me tomorrow; but I still think of "forever". She says and acts like "forever" is her only option as well. If you and Heather think that way, too (Have you guys even talked witheach other- about it?); then it's a done deal!

Ever since you posted up the picture of the ring; I've said to myself "Jeeze, they're so young!" You're only a little older than my oldest kid (Tink); and "forever" didn't work out for her. But on the other hand; Mrs StDr and I were younger than you when we got married (me 21, her 22); and about Tink's age when we decided. Nobody is omniscient - strike that, only one guy is; He's been around pretty much forever and the inverse of His name is "dog". The rest of us hope and pray for "forever" and search for somebody with which to make that commitment. Lord willing you and Heather have found each other and it's gonna work.

Let's be frank; it all starts with s-e-x. You get the hots, she gets the hots; and BAM!. If you guys wake up sated and find yourself just wanting to [hold onto
each other (here comes that word again) "Forever"; you've most likely found "the one". When I look to my wife; I realize that there was a piece of me that was missing 'til I found it in her. She says the same. We still feel that way after 24 years of marriage and 26 years "together". If you guys can see that in each other; then there is no reason to be nervous :nice:

Gotta go, Mrs StDr and I have to do the bills. Something we'll be doing "forever". :D

So I'm getting pretty nervous.

Relax, Andy. Your heart is in the right place. All will be fine.

If it makes you feel better, I'll share my proposal story.

My wife and I had been dating off and on for ~2 years. The "off" periods were a little awkward, because we work together at a small hospital. So, everyone was always in our business. Made her self-conscious at first.

Finally, we decided it was put up or shut up time. We knew we wanted to get married. She knew she wanted to get married in the fall--Sept./Oct., and she did not want to be engaged for a long time--9 months to a year, tops. We looked at houses, rings, we talked about kids, $$$, religion, family, careers . . . everything. The plan was to get engaged around Feb. and get married that Sept./Oct.

Well, we had a lot of family gatherings planned around the holidays. I'm not one to be cliche, so I hadn't planned on proprosing at Christmas or anywhere near there. But, I thought about it. It was right. Why wait? Why not do it and let our family share in MORE JOY for the holidays? I spent four hours picking out the stone and setting--and she called me twice while I was there, not realizing what I was up to. Finally got the ring.

We had a tradition while we were dating. She always came to my apartment and helped me put up my tree. I also buy a new ornament to add to the tree every year. So, I told her that since she helped me w/ the tree every year, it was only fair that she get a new ornament, too.

She came over after a particularly bad day at work for tree time, and wanted to see the ornament that I gave her. I kept putting her off, telling her that we would hang it last. As we decorated the tree, we ordered a pizza for dinner. Finally, w/ the tree decorated, she pulls her ornament out of the gift bag w/ a fairly expensive bobble attached. Bearing in mind, this was 3+ months earlier than she expected the possibility of a ring/proposal. Her jaw dropped. As I got down on bended knee . . . DING DONG . . . pizza arrived!

"Go get it, but HURRY BACK!" she said. So, upon my return, my proposal was made on bended knee. Lucky for me (I still feel that way), she said yes!

My (long-winded) point is this: It wasn't "perfect," but it was from the heart. I still love to tell that story, and I remember it like yesterday. It was one of the wisest choices and best days of my life! We are now approaching 5 years, we have a beautiful 2-year-old son, a wonderful home, and . . . BREAKING NEWS . . . another baby on the way! I just found out that I'm going to be a Daddy once more--the best 'job' I've ever had!

Love her like there's no tomorrow, share everything w/ her, and immerse yourself in every day that you have together. God bless.

I am not at all nervous about asking her to be my wife, but i WAS so nervous about asking her dad. I was scared. But i did it, i went over at 2 and we didn't finish our adult to adult conversation till 10:15. It sucked, i would have to say the worst part of the entire conversation was the premarital sex part. I survived the conversation, and he gave me permission, so THIS week is the week, i am not sure of the exact date, I need ideas, now that i have the old man out of the way, the hard part is over. Now all i have to do is trick her into putting that ring on. :nice:

Let's see if I can type this fast enough for you to catch it while you're still on here....
We are young, both of us 22, in this short time we have spent together we have already loved more than most people twice our age. Forever is a much longer time when you wake up alone every day. :nice:

Exactly my point. You guys are the age my fiance was when we actually married! We made the decision (READ: "She finally said "Yes" ") some 17 months earlier.
As for the rest of your comments, all I can say is :stupid: You're preaching to another preacher, buddy!

Looks like it might rain all this week. I might have to push the big date off till next week, i am getting antsy i want to do it NOW!

StangDreamin- Goin from your example at least we know were not to young, you have made it more than 2 decades :nice:

Patience, young Jedi; let The Force run through you.

Besides which (assuming you thought my "shooting stars" idea was worth something); right now the two meteor showers coming up won't peak for a while yet.

According to This Site, the Delta Aquarids shower (kinda weak for the Central US) will peak on 28 July; and Perseids (the big, bad momma of summer meteor showers) won't peak until 13 August! These guys practice basic astronomy and physics, using the position, trajectory, and velocity of each shower's "parent comet" to determine when said comet's tail will be close enough to Earth's atmosphere and gravitational pull to drop some meteors off and produce "shooting stars".

Yeah, I know, the science blows the romance; but your talking about the way you feel about Heather reminded me of Sue and I first watching Perseids together up at my Mom and Dad's cabin in Overgaard AZ, about 4 hours after the first time I proposed to her. While we were watching the shower, she said the reason that she had said no was that it was too soon after her splitting up with Steve; and that she was afraid of another bad relationship. I told her I'd wait, no matter how long it took.

It was (and still is) worth the wait :nice:

Here's what I did, Weather doesnt Matter. I went to the local Movie theater and told the Manager what I wanted to do, he agreed so her's how it went down. I asked my girl to go out to dinner and the Movies, I arranged to arrive early and they met us and let us in and watched where we sat. (I had prearranged a dozen roses to be brought by an usher after the question was popped) So then you know the ads that play prior to the show, They made one for me that said...
"Kristen, Will You Marry Me!?" Love John. Then they popped it on the BIG SCREEN prior to the show, I was ready with the ring box and cracked it open holding it in front of her, The audiance started applauding and someone screamed "Say Yes!" Then the usher on Que brought down the dozen roses and gave them to her. The whole audience then knew who "Kristen" was. She said yes on the spot and we enjoyed the Movie then went out and celebrated.

So it needs a pre- planning BUT it worked awesome, it was ultra cool, and 18 years later we still talk and laugh about it. Yea, 18 going on forever...

Well i would like to do it before the 22nd of this month, so we can tell everybody at the family reunion that we are engaged. So that leaves this week and next week. I thought about getting one of my friends to set us up with a nice dinner at the park we roll up in the mustang, have a great diner under the stars, ask her????????? Also love the idea about the stars, only problem the family reunion is during the first showing, and August 13 we will be in Texas for my sisters birthday. The movie is also a great idea, but she has always said that she didn't want to in front of a lot of people, BUT i might have to do it anyway. I like both those ideas. :shrug: