Methanol Injection

p51302

Mar 17, 2004
San Diego
Hi,

I'm thinking real hard into adding Snow Performance's Methanol injection to my car. But I have the following questions:

1. Living in San Diego, CA, where can I get Methanol?
2. Is this kit smog legal? Do I just turn it off when getting it smogged? How do you CA hot rodders do it?

BTW, I can't wait to increase my initial timing....

Thanks in advance for you time,
p51302

• Sponsors (?)

GroverDill (a member here) has that kit on his car. It really allowed him to have some gains. Do a search on "Snow" serching just titles and you'll find the link. People are using windshield washer fluid and having good gains. I am kind of wondering if it could be picked up at a hobby shop that sells methanol alchohol for R/C cars. I don't know if I would want to run the Nitro mix though. I was kind of interested in this kit even for a N/A high compression setup.

p51302

check out www.socalstangs.com they are setting up a GP for Snow kits. I love my snow kit to no end! You can get methanol at Fiber Tech in San tee for like 2 bucks a gallon, mix it with 50% distilled water and your done.

As for smog, I dont know for sure, but it only is spraying when you are in the boost.

FWIW, I had www.DPRSoCal.com retune my car after adding the Snow kit,cam and intake.

544/498 on the STOCK 93 lower end :)

90mustangGT said:
GroverDill (a member here) has that kit on his car. It really allowed him to have some gains. Do a search on "Snow" serching just titles and you'll find the link. People are using windshield washer fluid and having good gains. I am kind of wondering if it could be picked up at a hobby shop that sells methanol alchohol for R/C cars. I don't know if I would want to run the Nitro mix though. I was kind of interested in this kit even for a N/A high compression setup.

I would like to see how one of thous flying Toilet kits would work with a blow through supercharger.

www.killerrons.com

The Methanol/Water injection kits get a nice power gain.You can even use them with high compression n/a motors to be able to run on pump and big shots of nitrous.Though Im sure it would take some seriously careful tuning.

I've been running the snow kit for a while now. Allowed my final timing to be at 24 degrees at 14lbs of boost, which is still somewhat on the conservative side. I was also about to lean out the fuel curve about 8% or so. I also definitely noticed a big seat of the pants difference, for what it's worth.

for us in california, we cant use window washer fluid. i went through this when i got my afm mr. freeze kit. window washer fluid with methanol is illegal in california because so tree hugging hippy decided its bad for the environment. i went to 3 different parts store chains (kragen, pep boys, and napa) all said they dont carry it and its illegal to order it. you can just buy methanol at any place that sells race fuel and mix it with distilled water you buy from the grocery store (50/50 mix). or snowperformance sells it on their site pre-mixed at about $10 a gallon.
for smog, its not a factor. the methanol only sprays while your boosting and smog tests never go that high into the rpm range. they are done at 2500rpm max.
for tuning, you can add base timing but overall timing is recomended because with the methanol, you can run (acording to afm) 9-15* more total timing yet there is no way you can increase base timing that high. also, you will need to find a way to turn the fuel down (not through fuel pressure). you need a tuning device or dyno tune, to shorten pulse width. snow says their kits usually add .5:1 to the afr. in other words if your running a 11.5:1 afr now, the meth will make it a 11:1 afr. doesnt seem bad but with methanol you can safely run leaner then you can without it because of its cooling abilities and the fact that its more resistant to detonation. i read somewhere that methanol is similar to 110octane in its ability to resist pre-detonation and burn rate
as for how quick you use it....i went through about 1/6 of a gallon in 3 months on the street cause i barely boost on the street. havent been to the track yet since my afr with the meth is off the chart rich. waiting on my pms which afm said will ship out thursday...about time!

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. You guys provided a great deal of excellent information.

But, I do have one more question…. Amongst the responders, I noticed a mixture of Mr. Freeze and Snow Performance kits. At a high level Mr. Freeze uses the suction of the charger to pull water into the incoming air. On the other hand, the Snow Performance kit utilizes a motor to spray water into the intake tube after the supercharger.

I like the simplicity of the Mr. Freeze kit, but I am concerned about allowing the 50/50 mixture to go through my supercharger. Am I the only one who feels like this? I’m guessing that most of the mixture evaporates once it hits the air due to the compression caused by the supercharger. I’m also guessing that it keeps the super charger cool. But, has anyone with a Mr. Freeze ever encountered the supercharger’s bears getting wet?

Thanks,
P51302

mr freeze doesnt use suction to pull the methanol in, it uses the boost from the intake manifold to pressurize the methanol tank which is then pushed out....mot sucked out. ive never had any problems with my mr. freeze kit. the methanol is vaporized the instant it hits the impeller of the sc so it doesnt have a chance to sit on any bearings