MM cc plates and Bilsteins

spade

Founding Member
Jun 2, 2001
Atlanta, Ga
So....I have a question...

After running with HR SSs and stock strut/shocks for 3 years my kidneys started to hurt so i purchased the new MM cc plates and Bilsteins along with poly isolators.

The MM directions and FAQs are a little vague when it comes to this combo, which seems strange since it's what they recommend. What I took from the directions and FAQ was not to use the MM bumpstop or the dustboot. It seemed to me the directions were saying install the cc plates as directed and then do nothing to the struts other than use the spacers on them and then install.

Ok, Im cool with that.

But, where I got confused is the section regarding the spacers:

For cars at stock ride height:
• Install 2 long spacers and 1 short spacer below the
spherical bearing. Install 1 short spacer above the
spherical bearing. There should be a total of 4 spac-
ers per side.

For lowered cars:
• For all other struts, install 1 short spacer below the
spherical bearing. Install 2 long and 1 short spacer
above the spherical bearing. There should be a total of
4 spacers per side.You may need to omit a spacer to fully engage the nut
on the strut shaft.

It does not seem to me the directions above include Bilsteins in to the equation.
When I followed the directions for lowered cars, a huge gap was left between the top of the strut and cc plate. If I tried jacking the control arm up any more it only lifted the car off of the jack stands. So I went with the stock directions....which seemed to fit perfectly BUT I'm not sure if this is correct.

I guess what I am asking is if you have a '99 (or around) mustang with MM cc and Bilsteins how many spacers and in what order did you use them.

As a side note, I'm kinda ticked because the car sits about 3/4" higher than it did before. I'm sure a portion of this is the poly isolators but 3/4"! The bottom lip of the fender now sits at 27". It use to be right over 26- 26.25". Which is why I'm wondering if I installed the spacers wrong.

Thanks for your help!

• Sponsors (?)

I have MM cc plates and Bilsteins. The instructions say not to use the dust boots and bump stops because Bilstein dampers have integral bump stops and dust boots.

I used the spacer setup for "lowered" cars (in order to give my front suspension more travel before it hits the bump stops). You can mess around with the spacers to give optimal bump travel; the goal should be to get as much bump travel as possible without the tops of the struts hitting the hood.

As for the ride height issue, it's almost certainly caused by the isolators. The spacers on the strut have nothing to do with ride height when you're using regular springs (not coilovers).

I did the install myself, so if you have any more questions, feel free to ask in this thread or shoot me a PM.

OK...thanks!

I guess I will try again. Maybe I should have just kept jacking the control arm up.

Flghtmstr1: did you have any strut clearance issues with the hood?

I wish I had not thown away the original isolator...sigh

Thanks!

I have MM cc plates and Bilsteins. The instructions say not to use the dust boots and bump stops because Bilstein dampers have integral bump stops and dust boots.

I used the spacer setup for "lowered" cars (in order to give my front suspension more travel before it hits the bump stops). You can mess around with the spacers to give optimal bump travel; the goal should be to get as much bump travel as possible without the tops of the struts hitting the hood.

As for the ride height issue, it's almost certainly caused by the isolators. The spacers on the strut have nothing to do with ride height when you're using regular springs (not coilovers).

I did the install myself, so if you have any more questions, feel free to ask in this thread or shoot me a PM.

I have this same setup on my 03 (mm 4bolt cc plates, Bilsteins and Eibach pro-kit springs with stock isolators.) I had the work done at a shop, but they used the instructions/guide from MM. There is no hood clearance issue and the Bilsteins have their own internal stops.

Flghtmstr1: did you have any strut clearance issues with the hood?

Yes, in fact. Unfortunately, I didn't find out until after the car was aligned (they barely cleared before the alignment, but the driver's side did not afterwards lol). It ended up "clearancing" the hood itself. I don't mind the gouges in the hood because i'm going to be getting a cobra r hood this summer. However, I mentioned the hood clearance thing as a warning to others, lest they repeat my mistake.

Yes, in fact. Unfortunately, I didn't find out until after the car was aligned (they barely cleared before the alignment, but the driver's side did not afterwards lol). It ended up "clearancing" the hood itself. I don't mind the gouges in the hood because i'm going to be getting a cobra r hood this summer. However, I mentioned the hood clearance thing as a warning to others, lest they repeat my mistake.

Oh man that sucks. Thats why I ended up going with Tokico Fox body struts as recommended by stangsuspension. They are one inch shorter.