mmmm superchargers

There is no reason not to get a Vortech or Paxton. The way the pan gets punched does not cause much of anything to fall in. Plus there are a lot of ways around problems with that.

I ran a BD11a for a short while and I really don't like them. I totally am not talking trash so powerdyne owners don't get mad. They do have a problem with the internal belts. They break a lot and need to be replaced every 15k or less miles if they have't broken by then. Some people don't have that problem but most do. Powerdynes service isn't the greatest either. Check the StangNet reviews.

Any blower will give you the performance that you want but you really can't go wrong with a Vortech or Paxton. They've been around a long time and between the 2 probably outsell all the others companies by a rate of 15:1. Somebody should do survey of StangNet supercharger owners and validate that.....anyway don't worry about tapping the pan.

• Sponsors (?)

QDRHRSE said:
There is no reason not to get a Vortech or Paxton. The way the pan gets punched does not cause much of anything to fall in. Plus there are a lot of ways around problems with that.

Any blower will give you the performance that you want but you really can't go wrong with a Vortech or Paxton. They've been around a long time and between the 2 probably outsell all the others companies by a rate of 15:1. Somebody should do survey of StangNet supercharger owners and validate that.....anyway don't worry about tapping the pan.

:stupid: The pan part is relatively easy!! If you are worried about contaminates getting into the supercharger then get one of these:

View attachment 506527

The Paxton /Vortech is tough as nails to boot...I've also heard that you have to take the ATI off to change the oil if you plan to change it each time you do your engine oil...You wouldn't have that problem with one that runs to the pan...I haven't had any problems with mine anyway..

so, thus far the general concensus is that i should not worry at all about tapping my pan and get either a novi 1k or an s-trim for the vortech and paxton crowd, and that the powerdyne's have a problem with belt breakage, and if you pully them up past their intended 9psi, then i might run the bearings into oblivion, or tear up the belt frequently.

i'm glad everyone here who has contributed is at least somewhat impartial. i'm just trying to get the best bang for buck here, and if the s-trim can be had for a reasonable amount and can be safely pullied up to say 12-14psi with relative ease and low concern of bearing or impeller life issues, then my decision might be swayed by convincing commentary. the same statement could be applied to the novi 1k...i know there are people on stangnet that swear by them...after all, wasn't paxton the same centrifugal that Studebaker used on the Avanti, and Shelby used on the GT-350S?

regardless of my decision i appreciate all the input...

more than likely i'll ditch the fmu in favor of some bigger injectors and a dyno tune, but that's yet to be decided as well...

the only other reason I didnt get a paxton or votech is that like alot of high milage mustangs my car uses some oil. not excessive about 1/2 quart every 1200 miles and i was worried that any excessive engine wear ( crap in the oil, low oil levels ect. ) might harm a paxton or vortech. Also powerdynes stop building boost after 6000rpms, but they tend to build boost earlier in the rpm range than others. My car never sees 6000 rpms where as a paxton or vortech will continue to build boost after 6000. thats why they are more poular with people who tend to be more race than street. Aslo theres no doubt that you have a paxton or vortech on your car when you hear it. they are quite loud in my opinion, but some people like loud. there usually the ones with race mufflers and dumps. Dont get me wrong if i went to the track more often or my car wasnt my daily driver i would have probrably gotten a vortech. Powerdyne just seems easier to live with on a daily driver.

see, i'm kinda torn on the sound aspect, i do enjoy the whine/whistle that centrifugals put out. and i'd heard the same thing that vortech or paxton blown cars are unmistakably blown, but doesn't the powerdyne at least make a little bit of the rushing wind noise when the boost comes on?

either way, i'll be shooting for 400-450 rwhp with a 9.1:1 331 with ported Edelbrock RPM heads, ported cobra intake, 42lb squirters, 76mm C&L (or possibly pro-m), 1 5/8" long tubes, 3.73's, and about 8-12lbs boost...the cam numbers are yet to be determined. through some advice on here, i was directed to ck out flowtechinduction.com and have spec me a cam for my specific setup.

i am very optimistic of those figures seeing that several people on here are running comparable numbers with stock displacement. I do want to keep it somewhat reasonable/livable on the street though; lopey idle is expected, but not so radical that i attract every peace officer withing a 20 mile radius with that wonderful whine.

my powerdyne does have a slight whine to it at idle, but you have to be listenning for it. as far as what it sounds like at full boost i cant say because i have a flex fan right now ( but not for long ) and after 4000 rpms the fan is all i hear. If i can make over 300rwhp on a dynojet with stock heads, cam and 6psi. Id say you would be alot closer to 500 rwhp with what you intend to do. I just got a lincoln MK VIII elect. fan and a underdrive/overdrive crank pulley. Im going back to the dyno to see if these parts work. After i sell my 70 C-10 Im using the money for a new longblock and 9psi. On a side note what made you decide to go with a 331 over a 347.

...purely my preference, i've already been poo-poo'd a couple of times for my choice, but because i'm slightly analytical, I like the better rod ratio, and less rod angularity-which translates to less piston side loading thus less cylinder wear, thus better longevity...but it's still more cubes than a 302. and since I get to keep the good rod ratio and no oil ring in the pin bore, I get to keep a little piece of mind (if nothing else) for lower potential for oil consumption, provided that i stick with my standard tension oil rings that i already bought. all those things are reason enough for me justify the 15-20hp loss that i would take for the lesser cubes.

but since that statement in and of itself will start a civil war amongst about 30 or more members on stangnet, i'd prefer to leave it at that...personal preference-no more, no less