MSD 6A with iridium plugs?

demon40

Jul 24, 2004
canton, nc
Ok so have a MSD 6A box, MSD coil, Accel 300+ plug wires, MSD cap and rotor, and NGK iridium plugs. I called MSD today and they told me not to run the iridium plugs because they will get too hot. What does every one think about this.

Thanks in advance
Brandon

• Sponsors (?)

Ok so have a MSD 6A box, MSD coil, Accel 300+ plug wires, MSD cap and rotor, and NGK iridium plugs. I called MSD today and they told me not to run the iridium plugs because they will get too hot. What does every one think about this.

Thanks in advance
Brandon

He's probably not making it up and I've seen tons of posts about how crappy iridium plugs are in our cars

iron heads= Autolite 24's
aluminum heads= Autolite 3924's
:nice:

I know some tuners don't like iridium as much as copper, but I wasn't aware that there were tons of posts about this. :shrug: Iridium is still fairly uncommon.

Unless I was forced induction, I would likely not even consider iridium. With the ignition parts you listed, you very well might have such a combo however.

Good luck.

SplitFires!

Try SplitFire spark plugs, kinda espensive, but if you are boosted, these are nice! I have 'em and they do nicely. Part number for Edelbrock heads (which I have) is 645663 and are $6 each but have a two year warranty! :nice:

iridiums have a very small electrode so i can see where heat fromt he stronger spark could cause a problem but as far as only copper i run double platinum in my 93 and they are so much nicer then the coppers i replaced i love them...i need plugs in my 94 so im wondering what i should use also i have a msd coil..motorsports wires can you use a msd cap and rotor on the stock dizzy? but i think i will be using copper in my application at least at first because with the nitrous kit going on i will be tweeking it a lot and if i burn up some plugs i dont want to be throwing my money away

iridiums have a very small electrode so i can see where heat fromt he stronger spark could cause a problem but as far as only copper i run double platinum in my 93 and they are so much nicer then the coppers i replaced i love them...i need plugs in my 94 so im wondering what i should use also i have a msd coil..motorsports wires can you use a msd cap and rotor on the stock dizzy? but i think i will be using copper in my application at least at first because with the nitrous kit going on i will be tweeking it a lot and if i burn up some plugs i dont want to be throwing my money away

I believe that plat plugs and nitrous is a big no-no.

You're one of the few whom has had decent results with plats on a fox III. They can lead to a low and slightly erratic idle, and a cut-out at around 4K RPM.

Thanks in advance
Brandon

I have been running them for about 6 months with no problem. I have MSD coil, 6a box, MSD wires, and MSD distributor. They are perfect for boost.