Mufflers Rubbing on Drive Shaft

93gtmustang

5 Year Member
Oct 21, 2006
I have a FRPP Aluminum Drive Shaft and Flowmaster Exhaust on my 93 GT Mustang.
I noticed wear markes on the drive shaft next to the mufflers. Also up towards the the front, maybe rubbing on the drive shaft loop? There's very little clearance between the drive shaft and mufflers.
Has anyone had any problems like this?
I think it's happening when the car squats on the launch when drag racing.
Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Mine does the same thing when the rear axle drops when the car is on jackstands. If the hangers are in good shape, the fix is to loosen the clamp bolts for the joint between the H pipe and muffler. Then rotate the muffler away from the drive shaft. Tighten the clamp bolts for the joint and it should be better.

Thanks for the help.
The only problem is that the exhaust is all welded except for where it is bolted on to the headers.
When the the car is off the jack stands, there is about an inch or so clearance between the mufflers and the drive shaft. Up on the jack stands there is very little clearance.
The rubbing must be happening when the car launches and squats I guess?
Thanks

the flowmaster cat backs fit like crap in general. On the passenger side of my car, the muffler bangs against the frame, the tailpipe rubs my tire and the tip is set in 2 inches further forward than the driver's side.

Wow ... yours must've been welded by the same dude that did Frankenstang's, because that's EXACTLY how her Flowmaster cat-back fit, as well - tailpipe short on the same side, and everything!

i had to park in between two trees and use ratchet straps to pull them apart more it was not easy but it worked :shrug:

Literally a shadetree solution. :)

Mine have done the same thing, even with a stock DS. If you happen to have older boxier Flowmasters, switching to the newer ovalish style can help a little.

Good luck.

Ive never had a problem with any flowmaster component.. I would have it cut readjusted and rewelded sod it dosent rub the driveshaft. The only problem i had with my exausht was bad motor mounts and my headers rubbed the steering shaft because of it..

Reactions: 1 user