Murphy's Law

Tfs 170's over the turbo swirls all day long. As far as power potential goes...any of them can make more(with the blower) than the block can handle. But the aluminums can withstand detonation/better heat disapation/flow more air(make more power with a given pulley combo),etc etc.

• Sponsors (?)

How much extra HP would you guess for a good set of aluminum heads over my mildly ported GT40 irons? I like my current heads but if I'm goin in there....well...

TFS or AFR lluminum heads will do a couple of things

• probably give you 30-50 more hp over iren heads
  • remove 50 or so pounds off the front end
  • give you more room to grow with your combo
I'm a firm believer in spending the money to do it right the first time. If it were me. I'd go right to a set of 11R heads

Reactions: 2 users
Those little trick flow 170s do some work for the money the x heads arent in the same league in my opinion. Those same little 170s are on my 363 cleaned up a bit and well it made pretty decent power considering they are the bottle neck of my combo.

What about compression ratio? Considering the varying combustion chamber volumes in the different heads, what cc chambers should I be looking for when considering stock 302 bottom end and up to 10psi boost? I can have too much compression.

Also, how much power can my stock 302 bottom end handle?

What about compression ratio? Considering the varying combustion chamber volumes in the different heads, what cc chambers should I be looking for when considering stock 302 bottom end and up to 10psi boost? I can have too much compression.

Also, how much power can my stock 302 bottom end handle?
If you go with the tfs170s - 61cc chambers will do it . That's what I have . 58 is where you end up with too much

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

Reactions: 1 user
Back when I first put these iron GT40's on this thing I had a thread going on here. In the back of my mind I remember somebody telling me I should get new head bolts. Doh!

BTW, this thing still runs great and gets up really quick. But blowing out coolant is not good. On the last outing I was getting on it a little in 4th gear and the thing started spinning wheels at about 80mph. At the time I thought it felt like an oil slick on the road. But now I know it was my coolant dousing the rear tires.

I didnt read thru all the posts but from my experience i had mr gasket high flow crap therm on my stroker when new. With less than 1000 miles on motor i blew top rad line off and dumped coolant all over new engine. Turned out being mr gasket therm wasnt opening i was having same problems always peein in overflow when i shut car off funny thing is car wasnt overheating, so i took therm out didnt open when i boiled it finally it opened in my vice with a hammer! cure was new stant therm i drilled three 1/8 inch holes in flange for good measure.

I didnt read thru all the posts but from my experience i had mr gasket high flow crap therm on my stroker when new. With less than 1000 miles on motor i blew top rad line off and dumped coolant all over new engine. Turned out being mr gasket therm wasnt opening i was having same problems always peein in overflow when i shut car off funny thing is car wasnt overheating, so i took therm out didnt open when i boiled it finally it opened in my vice with a hammer! cure was new stant therm i drilled three 1/8 inch holes in flange for good measure.
He re used the TTY head bolts and is putting boost through the motor. Id venture to say they stretched and lifted the head some plus his wet plug dont look so good either

And also thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. In further though, I'll reuse my iron GT40's for now if they check out ok after I tear down. Shoot, I haven't even had good sticky tires mounted for this combo yet so I have yet to experience it's full potential. Plus if I change heads I'll probably need to increase injector size and me MAF ect... I think the best time to do all this is when it comes time for an engine overhaul. Stroke it out and the whole 9 yards.

I'll keep this group posted on progress. Thanks again everyone!

My workplace building is right next door to theirs. I can hear the dyno runs loud and clear throughout days, many times even from inside our building. They run some pretty serious stuff over there sometimes.

I work at the post office. JPC building was once our building. Thier dyno is set up on the very floor space where we once sorted mail. I'm also a part time licensed home inspector as well as Rural Letter Carrier.