MUSCLECAR SHOOTOUT

It did seem the shoot out was cooked. The only suprise was the Mustang came out on top. Usually on such comparisons are slanted against the Fords. What's the attraction of the burnout contest??? Watch NOPI a junker with bad tires can burnout. I just do not get it.

• Sponsors (?)

zookeeper said:
Several years ago I used to subscribe to a Musclecar mag. I don't recall the name, but it was mostly high dollar, correct cars only type of thing. Anyway, they featured a Buick GS in it and talked with the owner (who bought the car new) and he said it would run a low 13 -high 12 stock ('cept for the radial tires). Then some loudmouth who owned a Hemi 'Cuda reda the feature and wrote in as to how slow the Buicks were, how fast his car was , etc. Since both owners lived in the Georgia area, they invited them to meet at the strip and settle it, which they did, To make a long story short, the Buick flat whomped the over-rated Hemi car (by a full second if I remember right) and the Mopar guy sounded exactly like the bunch on the Mopar board. Bitch, whine and moan and talk about how fast THEIR car is compared to the one in the test. Some things never change...

I remember that exactly. The Mag was Musclecar Review, and it was kind of the first stock musclecar magazine in the early days of niche publishing. They ran the stock muscle car drags for three years straight and the Buicks always beat the MOPAR guys. And boy did the MOPAR guys cry. I have never heard a whinier group.

The Boss 429s never really ran that well in the quarter. The factory tires, exhaust and carb were far too restrictive and hid the real potential of these cars. I wonder what the guy on the TV did to get it to run that well.