My 1994 GT Mustang Aode to T5 Conversion w/PICS!

good write up on the swap. did the same thing with my car. did you buy a complete swap kit or did you buy everything individually. one tip for you, you may already know but when you put the pressure plate on, torque the bolts to 21ft lbs with torque wrench, my torque wrench didnt go that far and it costed me a pressure plate about 15k miles later

• Sponsors (?)

No, I got all my parts individually, I probably have about 700 bucks in the swap so far, if I had gotten a kit it would have been way too much!

And I've never used a torque wrench on any swap. I just use plenty of locktite and haven't had any problems. I'm not in any way saying torquing your bolts is a bad thing, by all means if you have the tool, do it!

On with the swap shall we...

Today the weather was actually pretty nice, alot of the water dried up and wasn't too bad. The bad news though is one of my torque converter bolts rounded off, stupid Crafstman socket split down the side! :mad: I used a Tawian socket to get the rest off without issue, go figure...

I started today with pulling the driveshaft out. For this I use a 12mm wrench and another wrench locked into that one for leverage. Those bolts usually get plenty of locktite so they take muscle to get out! It helps to have someone in the car to either pull the E brake or use the shifter to allow the driveshaft spin when you need to rotate to the other bolts.

Be sure to have a bucket or drain pan ready to go when you slip the yoke out of the trans.

DCP_0102.jpg

DCP_0101.jpg

DCP_0103.jpg

Now, with the driveshaft out of the way you can pull the trans mount to crossmember bolts out. They are 18mm bolts.

DCP_0104.jpg

Take your floor jack and put it under the trans, use the edge of the pan toward the rear. All you have to do is lift the trans up just enough to take pressure off the crossmember.

After the tension is off the crossmember, you can proceed to take the long bolts out of each side where it bolts to the body. Use a 13mm shortwell for those. Word of advice, make sure your head is clear when you loosen these bolts, I got a nice crack on the head this morning by not paying attention to it! that woke me right up!!! :notnice:

DCP_0106.jpg

DCP_0107.jpg

Now go back up to the engine bay and pull the transmission harness plug from the main harness. Then fish it down through all the hoses and such till it'll come free from the bottom.

DCP_0112.jpg

Make sure your bucket is under the tail shaft and slowly let the transmission down. Let the fluid drain for a good while, It'll take a good 10-20 minutes before it stops.

DCP_0109.jpg

DCP_0110.jpg

Now go ahead and start taking the shifter linkage loose from the transmission and body. For the linkage, use a 13mm wrench to loosen the nut. Then use a 10mm socket to remove the two bolts that hold the linkage bracket to the trans. An 8mm socket will make short work of the linkage cable bracket that's mounted to the underside of the body. Just set the linkage aside for now.

DCP_0114.jpg

DCP_0113.jpg

Then of course loosen your transmission cooling lines. These use a 13mm line wrench. Mine is a piece of crap so I ended up using a standard open end wrench which worked perfect. But if it's been awhile (or never!) since yours have been off, get a quality line wrench. If you don't give a crap about the trans or the lines, use a pair of side cutters and hack them of!

DCP_0117.jpg

Now, if you have access to a transmission jack or attachment for you jack, they are very nice and should be used without hesitation! But I'm cheap so I built myself a little pad for the trans pan to sit on nicely.

View attachment 263771

DCP_0116.jpg

Now, go in from the front of the car and take the access panel off the bottom of the transmission. I believe it's either 14mm or 13mm.

Once it's off, use a breaker bar or ratchet with a short extension and a 15/16" socket to rotate the engine. Rotate the motor till you see a torque converter bolt. Now, use a 3/8 ratchet and a 9/16 short well (works better than 14mm for some reason) and loosen the nut. The flywheel will turn until you bottom your wrench out in the top corner. When the wrench bottoms out it'll keep the flywheel from turning any more and then you can loosen the nut.

By now you can see your next nut, repeat the process till all 4 are removed. Be carefull and get the socket on there flush!

DCP_0118.jpg

DCP_0119.jpg

Now you can proceed to remove the bellhousing bolts. For this alot of extensions, patients and muscle/leverage helps! The size of those bolts are 16mm or 5/8". A spark plug socket works nice too as well as a swivel socket.

When you get them all loose, remove all but the lower bolts on both sides, leaving them threaded in just a few threads. This will aid in sliding the trans off and support it until you get situated to lower the trans down.

DCP_0120.jpg

DCP_0121.jpg

DCP_0122.jpg

Now you can use a pry bar and pry the transmission away from the motor. Use the jack and jack the transmission up so the engine is pretty level otherise your torque converter will bind in the flywheel and pull apart from the tranny! This will create the biggest trans fluid mess you've ever see! About 9 or so quarts of transmission fluid will be all over the place in a matter of seconds!!!

Also be mindful of the dipstick tube, if it pulls out while lowering the transmission it'll make a huge mess too!
I didn't get pics of this process because I was busy manuving the jack and the trans and holding the torque converter in place. Once the trans is down, if you're working on the ground you'll have to slide it off the jack and onto the ground. I like to drag the trans so the dipstick and the upper most part of the bellhousing will clear between the front tire and wheel well.

Here's the boat anchor in all it's glory! Talk about slim fast for Mustangs!! :rlaugh:

DCP_0139.jpg

Now you can pull the flywheel off the motor. Use a 19mm socket. If you have an impact you're in luck, they'll zip right off. If not, like me, you'll be wrenching them off. You can either have someone hold the motor from the front for you or use a prybar or wooden handle of some sort to keep the motor from turning while you loosen the bolts.

Once your flywheel is down, do yourself and favor and spend 10 bucks on a new rear seal! Mine was leaking bad for a while which is why the undercarriage of my car was a greasy mess!!

DCP_0140.jpg

DCP_0141.jpg

Now, move up into the interior. We're gonna pull the center console out and shifter assembly.

Open your storage compartment and remove the rubber bumpers. There will be a couple phillips scres holding it in. Then, pry it up gently and pull up on it and it'll snap free.

DCP_0123.jpg

Now there'll be two phillips screws at the bottom of the storage compartment.

DCP_0124.jpg

Now pull your shifter bezel off the console. Behind it will be two phillips screws holding the console to the dash. After those are out, pull the E brake up as high as it'll go. Take the console and lift it up, when you get it a little ways in the air you can reach under it and pull the main harness plug apart, then it'll lift all the way off.

DCP_0126.jpg

DCP_0127.jpg

DCP_0129.jpg

DCP_0130.jpg

Now with the console out of the way you can get to the shifter bolts. there are 4 8mm bolts to remove.

DCP_0131.jpg

Once you have the bolts out you can lift it up some. In the front, right side of the shifter assy you'll see a screw holding a black cable in place. The screw is a torx screw, remove that. Then you'll see where the cable is connected to a white actuator mechanism. Use a flat screwdriver and pry the cable end from the shifer. There'll also be a little pin holding the black bracket to the shifter assy. This cable is what connects the column to the shifter and only allows the shifter to be moved from Park when the key is in the "on" position. Make sure you try you key in the ignition and check for full rotation. If your key won't turn or turn back to the off position, mess with the cable until it works properly. Now just tuck that cable away under the dash or somewhere.

Now you can manuver the shifter out of the car.

DCP_0134.jpg

DCP_0135.jpg

DCP_0136.jpg

Now, use my pic as a guide to cut the tunnel to allow the shifter to come through without interference. You have to do this because Ford used two differenct tunnel stampings for these cars, one for Auto and one for 5 Speed. You can use tin snips to do this job easily.

First mark it off where you want to cut, the take it nice and slow. You may have to fine tune the hole once the transmission is in place.

DCP_0137.jpg

DCP_0138-1.jpg

Well, that's it for today. will definately finish this project tomarrow.

Yeah, I actually pulled the console while I was waiting for my friend to come help me with the rounded off torque converter nut. I also ditched the crappy Bosch Platinum 2's that were in there. My car didn't like those at all! I put in autolite 25's, can't go wrong with these.

Block plate/seperator modification

Like I said in the beginning, I was going to modify my AODE plate to work with the T5 bellhousing.

This wasn't too difficult to do, I used a few different tools before I figured out the best one for the job.

What you do is, Take the T5 bellhousing and lay it on the ground with the engine side facing up. Then, take your dowls and tap them into the bellhousing where they go. Now lay the plate on the bellhousing making sure it's lined up with the dowel pins.

You'll immdiately see how far offset the starter hole is. What you have to do is draw out the best you can a circle outline that is approximate where the starter goes. Then use something to smear around the starter bolt holes on the bellhousing so that when you lay the plate on it'll make an imprint of where the holes are.

Now take the plate and use a clamp to hold it down on the table. For the holes just use a 1/2" drill bit. Be sure to use a nice carbide blade, that plate is hardened steel! Check your work after to see if the starter bolt holes line up. If not, make any adjustments to the hole until you can get bolts in both holes without a problem.

Now clamp the plate down again to where you can get some tin snips and cut around the hole on the line you made. After you clearanced the plate, lay it back on the bellhousing and use your starter to check it. The starter will lay nice and flat against the plate when it's correct. You can even use the starter bolts and bolt the starter down and see how it looks.

Take the little inspection plate and mock it up to the bellhousing. Mark where those holes need to be drilled and also mark around where the clutch cable will go into the bell and drill/cut them out. This plate is aluminum so it'll drill out easy! Keep trying it on the bellhousing till your new holes line up with the existing holes on the bell. Use some bolts to secure it when the trans is installed in the car.

DCP_0143.jpg

DCP_0142.jpg

Well, it's finished, but not quite. I got it all put together and when I fired it up I could feel a hellacious vibration! I bought the flywheel used and I'll be willing to bet money I ended up with a 28oz flywheel. I've never felt a vibration this bad in any Mustang I've owned.

I'm too ticked off right now to finish this write up, I'll post it all up tomarrow morning when I've calmed down.

Anyone want to donate a descent used flywheel??!!

Well I have crappy luck in general, this is just icing on the proverbial cake! It's all cool though, I have an O/R H pipe on order from Summit, so when my rigged up stocker comes back off, the new one will go on! And maybe I'll even install these BBK shorties I have waiting to go on.

See anything wrong with this H pipe aside from the fact it's a crappy stocker?

DCP_0111.jpg

I can still finish the write up, but my camera is sitting in my car and I'm too lazy and sore to run back and get it tonight. I'll post it all up in the AM.

Finishing up

Now we have everything out and are ready to put the car back together, this time with the T5 stuff! :nice:

Rear Main Seal

First, replace the rear main seal. Even if yours isn't leaking, REPLACE IT! It's 10 bucks and great peace of mind.

You can use a seal puller (like in the pic) or a sturdy flat blade screwdriver. Be care and never pry on the smooth face of the crank shaft. They can be stuborn, but i'll come out.

DCP_0097.jpg

DCP_0098-2.jpg

Now, grab your new seal and coat the inside with some new motor oil. I went ahead and changed my oil at the same time, so I had some oil at the ready! Then, take the seal and press it into place a little until it's somewhat started. Take a short 2x4 and kinda walk it around the seal while tapping on the wood and slowly driving the seal in place. Take your time and it'll go smoothly, get in a rush and it'll fight you! :mad:

DCP_0099-2.jpg

DCP_0100-2.jpg

Pilot Bearing

Now we'll tackle the pilot bearing. Nothing complicated about this. Get yourself a small 1/2" extension and a socket that is just a tad bigger or exactly the same size as the OD of your pilot bearing. Put the extension into the socket backwards so you are left with the flat part of the socket to contact the bearing.

Take a piece of sandpaper or emery cloth and clean the hole in the crank where the bearing goes. Once it's cleaned out, take the bearing and press it up to the hole, it'll start a little and stay while you get situated with your tools.

Hold the socket/extension piece flat on the bearing and start tapping it in. Don't worry if it looks like it's going in crooked, it'll straighten out as you drive it in. My bearing in the pic will look different from yours since I'm using a 4cyl T5 in my car for now.

DCP_0102-1.jpg

DCP_0104-1.jpg

And viola, it's in!

DCP_0105-1.jpg

Smog tube removal, modification

While this doesn't pertain to swapping a 5 speed in, most guys that eliminate their smog keep this tube back there because they don't want to mess with removing it. Well, when you have the trans out, it's a piece of cake, so I'll add this little tidbit in to help people out.

You'll see the crossover tube bolted the rear of the heads. Use a 13mm wrench on the bolts. As long as it's all disconnected up top it'll come right out.

Now take it and cut the ends off. Grind them down flat where you cut to get rid of sharp edges. What you're going to do is flip them around so the nice flat side will go against the heads. They will be on opposite sides of the motor now. Coat the flat side with some hi-temp RTV sealant and bolt them back on the heads making sure the holes are covered completely. Then you're all done with the smog crap!

DCP_0106-1.jpg

DCP_0108-1.jpg

DCP_0109-1.jpg

Flywheel and Clutch

Here's a good site with all the torque settings you'll need:
Mustang Torque Specs

I installed the flywheel and after the clutch was installed it dawned on me that I forgot to take pics of the install of them. sorry!

Before you go any further, install your block plate! You won't believe how many (myself included) forget this step and end up having to pull the entire clutch and flywheel back off to install it!

On the flywheel be careful! It'll go up there and "feel" like it won't come down on you, but it will and it weighs alot so if it hits you in the head it's gonna hurt like hell!

The flywheel will only go on one way so fit it on the crank and then turn the flywheel until ALL the holes line up. Make sure they do line up because it's a pain to start some bolts in and then realize the rest don't line up, then you have to pull the bolts back out and start over.

Now, I like to use Loctite toward the end of the bolts and a nice bead of RTV toward the head of the bolt. I don't like oil leaks and so far this method has served me well! The flywheel bolts are 19mm and get 75-85 FT-lbs of torque.

Make sure you have your 3 dowels installed on the flwheel before going on to the next step.

Now get your clutch kit and your pressure plate bolts ready. I like to use Loctite on my pressure plate bolts.

Get your clutch disk and pilot alignment tool and put the disk onto the flywheel making sure it's positioned with the flatter side toward the engnie. Then put the alignment tool through the disk and into the pilot bearing. It may or may not stay there on it's own, so make sure before you pull your hands away.

Now grab your pressure plate and align it with the 3 dowels on the flywheel. Take your bolts and start threading them into the flywheel. Once you have all of them started you can let go of the pressure plate and start snugging them down. I prefer to snug them down slowly going all the way around over and over till they're all tight, then torque them down. Be careful, these are all too easy to break!

DCP_0110-1.jpg

Bellhousing and Transmission

Now you can install your bellhousing. 4 of your automatic bellhousing bolts will work, but the top two will have to be replaced. Ask for 7/16 x 1.5" bolts with lock washers. Get the bellhousing in place and install each of the bolts then torque them down.

DCP_0111-1.jpg

Grab your clutch fork and put it through the side of the bellhousing. Now, with it backward you can slip the throwout bearing onto/into the fork. Then turn the fork around and engage it onto the pivot ball, make sure you use some grease either on the ball itself or where it contacts the fork.

Position the throwout bearing so it's a straight shot for the input shaft to go. You can check this by getting up there and looking down into the clutch assy.

DCP_0116-1.jpg

Now get your transmission and set it on your jack. Do yourself a favor and put the trans in gear, this will help when stabbing it in the engine. Bring it under the car to where it's in line with the motor. Use some grease on the bearing retainer so the throwout bearing can ride smooth on it.

DCP_0112-1.jpg

DCP_0113-1.jpg

Start jacking the transmission up till it looks like it's right in line with the engine. then slide it slowly toward the behousing guiding the input shaft in. You may have to make slight adjustments with the jack to get it right. Once your comfortable that it's aligned right, push it the rest of the way in.

DCP_0117-1.jpg

Now, more than likely this is where you'll start cursing the car! They hardly ever go right in the first try. If it stops short of being all the way in, first thing to check is the level of the trans. You can usually see by the gap between the bell and trans. If it's closer at the top, let the jack down a little, or vise versa.

If it still hasn't engaged the bellhousing all the way, start your transmission bolts a few threads, do NOT tighten them! Usually all 4 won't go right in, you'll have to twist and turn the trans slightly to get them started. By the time you have all 4 started, you can grab the rear of the trans and wiggle it side to side and the trans will magically slide in the rest of they way.

DCP_0118-1.jpg

DCP_0119-1.jpg

Now you can tighten the bolts the rest of the way down. They are 15mm bolts, and a swivel really helps out here! :nice:

Clutch cable and Firewall adjuster (if applicable)

Look at your firewall just above the brake booster toward the left, you'll see a rubber plug about 2" in diameter. Pull that plug out. Now, if you have a stock type cable, just put it in that hole. If you have a firewall adjuster, you'll have to put that into the hold then insert the modified cable (as per instructions that come with your kit) into the firewall adjuster.

DCP_0120-1.jpg

Now climb under the dash and you'll see where the cable is coming through the firewall. Sometimes it'll get pushed between the insulation and the firewall so you'll have to reach up there and search for it. Once you find it, bring it around and hook it on the quadrant hook. I used the second hook on my quad. because I'm using a stock cable. This can be tedious work, but you'll get it!

DCP_0121-1.jpg

Now go back to the engine bay and feed the cable down to the bottom. You'll see a little hole in the frame rail where the cable mounts, so get the cable close to that location. Then go under the car in the front and guid the cable between the engine and the K member, above the motor mount.

DCP_0123-1.jpg

Then go under the car near the bellhousing on the driver side and slide the cable through the hole in the bellhousing. Then hook the cable into the fork. You may need to use a prybar to disengage the clutch a little to get the cable hooked on. If you have the little clip that goes to the clutch cable go ahead and put it on. If you have a cover and are using a stock cable you can throw it on now. If you're using an adjustable cable, wait till after this is all done and you've adjusted the cable before installing the cover.

Now, take your jack and start jacking up the rear of the transmission until it just kisses the body of the car. Get your crossmember and mounting hardware ready to go. If you're using a 94/95 setup and already have the 5 speed plate you can just install everything and be done. If you are using a fox trans or you only have an AODE plate, you'll have to drill some new holes and modify the transmission mount itself. Install the crossmember temporarily by just pushing the bolts through without the nuts. Now you can line up all the mounting items and see exactly where you need to drill your new holes. The holes are 1/2 " and you'll also need to aquire 2 extra 1/2" bolts (doesn't matter what threads) and two matching washers and nuts.

You'll be usuing your AODE bolts to mount the plate to the T5, then use your new bolts and nuts to bolt the trans mount to the plate itself. When this is all done you'll use the original 18mm bolts to bolt the mount to the crossmember. All this will become apparent when you try to line it all up. And the mount will have to be clearanced to clear the plate-trans bolts.

Now the tranmission is officially mounted into the car!

DCP_0124-1.jpg

Gettin' er done!

Now, reinstall your driveshaft. Be sure to use loctite and get those bolt super tight!

After the d/s is in, reinstall the H pipe and mufflers. Enjoy the extra room you have while installing the H pipe, it is apparent right away that the T5 setup offers so much more room under the car!

Shifter, console, boot, etc.

Moving into the car, check to make sure the trans has cleared the sheet metal inside the car. If not, trim it out until it all fits nice.

Now, make sure your two fill/drain plugs in the side of the tranmission are on and tight. And be sure you have drained the all the old fluid from your tranmission if it's used.

These tranmissions take 3 quarts of ATF Dextron/Mercon fluid. If you are installing a Tremec, they recommend GM Synchromesh fluid which is 10 bucks a quart, OUCH! You can pour the fluid directly into the shifter area of the trans. This will take a couple minutes because the fluid has to flow down through a little tiny hole.

DCP_0125-1.jpg

Now use a small bead of RTV sealant on the shifter mating surface. You don't have to use much, this is just a splash sheild really, no pressure in there.
After you have the sealant on you can install the shifter. Make sure the ball on the bottom engages the shifter hole in the transmission.

DCP_0126-1.jpg

DCP_0127-1.jpg

Now get your lower boot ready. If you're using an aftermarket shifter you may have to really stretch the rubber to fit, I had to go crazy with mine which I didn't like too much. Once it's on there, position it so that it'll cover the hole in the floor.

Take a small drill bit for the size screws you want to use and drill your first hole, put the screw in, then the next doing one at a time. If you have some raised areas of the metal part of the boot you can use a hammer and tap it down flat onto the tunnel. This will keep noise and such out of the interior.

DCP_0128-1.jpg

Now, reinstall your console. Then lay your new shifter boot/bezel into the place while guiding the shifter handle through the hole. Also make sure you plug the power point connector in. Also, don't forget to plug in the harness for the console.

Then you're left with this:

DCP_0129-1.jpg

After this you can put your interior back to gether and reinstall your seat. When that's done, get in and check your clutch pedal. It's hard to describe exactly how much tension you want on it, but you want the clutch to disengage slightly off the floor. Make any adjustments with your firewall adjuster and/or cable. If using an adjustable cable, make most of the adjustment with that then fine tune it with the firewall adjuster.

Once you're comfortable with the feel of your pedal, put the trans in neutral and start the car. Listen and feel for anything out of the ordinary. If you hear a slight ticking noise under the car, usually it's normal. For some reason, these flywheels love to tap the plate a little upon installation. It'll usually go away after a few minutes of run time.

Now, if you're brave and there's no one in front of you, you can check to make sure your trans is shifting ok and the clutch is adjusted correctly. Don't go crazy, just run through the gears slowly and then let off when you're satisfied everything is working ok. Go under and check for leaks and such.

One last thing, you can take out the old trans cooling lines if you want. If you want to let them ride for now that's ok too, just crimp the ends up as good as you can so any left over fluid won't leak out all over the place. In my case, all the fluid had already leaked out, but I went ahead and removed them anyway for a cleaner installation.

Oh, and for the shifter interlock cable from the AODE setup, you'll have to take the column loose and let it down in order to reach it at the top of the column. I just let mine ride, if I ever have to pull the column I'll take it out then.

Now, let the car down and go for a ride and see how she runs. After a good couple days of running to seat the clutch and break it in you can let 'er rip!

Feel free to ask any questions. :nice: :D :SNSign:

i just finished my 5 spd swap thursday i removed my smog pump bs just like you did. i ran into a problem when i put mine in thou. my input shaft on the t5 was bent or something. we couldnt get it back out. we had to reach into the fork hole to unbolt the pressure plate. but after that we put another t5 in.it went in so easy... if you want to put the trans in with the bellhousing on, go get 2 studs and screw them in just alittle in the bottom 2 bellhousing holes and they will line up so easy

Odd. I wanted to go back and edit my first post to include a parts list but it wouldn't let me edit any of my posts in this thread. What's up with that?

edit: I can edit this post but none of the others.

Parts List

Parts List

These are the parts I had to get and the prices I paid for them to the best of my memory:
Amounts in ( )'s are amounts I didn't spend but you may spend depending on your situation.

5.0 T5 Tranny and Bellhousing w/fork 200.00

Block Plate new Ford -I modified mine (60.00)

Flywheel new from Advance 70.00

Clutch...slightly used Zoom 40.00

Shifter - Hurst short throw came with trans

T4MO Computer 126.00 shipped

Clutch pedal assy +
Shifter boot/bezel +
Factory clutch cable +
Shifter handle/factory Knob 40.00

Clutch cable retainer clip PN N80813552
Ford 1.20

If your trans doesn't come with VSS/Gear
you can use your AODE VSS and get gear
from Steeda or Ford (15-20$)

Quadrant / Firewall adjuster Steeda 50.00

Pilot bearing 15.00

Misc. bolts/washers/nuts 10.00

3 quarts ATF Trans fluid 9.00

Rear main seal 15.00

Loctite 3.00

RTV Sealant 4.00

My total on everything listed was $610.20. I'm sure I spent at least $50 more in gas running around finding the deals. It took me about a month to gather all the parts. If you look hard enough you can find the deals out there. Definately alot less than spending 1600.00 for a kit from MPS! But some people don't want to do any legwork and just want a box of goodies delivered to their door, and that's ok too.. it's your money!

And I'm sure I spent a few more for misc stuff that pops up when you do something like this.

Well, the car is back on the road now. The flywheel was in fact the problem. I put in a stock replacement flywheel and all is well again.

Now another problem has arisen, seems I was sold a damaged T5! 2nd and 4th gear grind. I might try my hand at changing the synchros out.