My 2009 Bullitt Test Drive

larrendeuce

Sep 13, 2003
Southern NJ
I posted this on Mach 1 registry, I want to get opinions from here too. Not putting anything down here, this is just what I found.

I'll start with this its a great car. The leather is really nice, vat dyed not spray dyed like a mach 1's. I like the steering wheel, again nice leather. Build quality is good, panels fit nice. I like the seating position; do this sit in an office chair with armrests, right where you hand comes to is the shifter and e-brake. The pedals are all at the same level so its easier to find out where the seat needs to be. Some complain the headrests bother them that they are too far forward. I have the opposite problem, they are too far back, in the Mach 1 I tilt mine to catch my head when I floor it.

Its slow. I tried to justify getting one, I tried to make excuses while I was driving it. Things like, it will break in and get faster, or maybe some 4.30 gears and a tune. Flat out it doesn't feel any faster then a manual GT. The suspension is soft, the car wallows, not like a Buick but way more then the Mach 1. I'm not sure there is anything special about the suspension honestly. The brakes have good initial bite, I didn't pound on it hard enough to get em to fade but from highway speeds its stops pretty good. The sound system is nothing great. I think a Mach 460 system is way better. The shaker has a little bit more bass up front, but gone are the door tweeter pods, and all the clarity and sound stage with it. Sirius is nice but its easier to use on the separate sirius radios and plug in. As for the specially tuned exhaust, its gotta be quieter then a new GT. All the noise is tuned out for a deeper sound. Its not loud though, hard to tell if its even running from inside. The Mach 1's stock exhaust is way louder.

In conclusion, test drive one to see for yourself but there is nothing special here. If your in the market for a newer mustang get a Bullitt. The way dealers option these cars out, you can actually get a Bullitt cheaper then a GT. The one I was looking at was 32,000 msrp. The GT next to it was 34,000 msrp. Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Mine was way quieter then a GT,put pypes violator mufflers on and it still has the bullitt "sound" but louder without drone.You get a smile going up thru the gears and a nice scream at WOT.I think the car "felt" slower at first,was just really tight or the absence of exhaust noise mad it seem slow.I never really hammered it until 500 miles but after that I would put it on par with my 2000 z/28 manual when it was stock.I think the suspension is awesome,its way DD comfortable without harshness.I take off ramps sometimes way to fast and the car has no lean,just digs in.I was looking at GT/CS's and GT's and they drove nowhere near as good as my bullitt and most MSRP's where the same.Its a limited edition car with the same basic stuff as a shelby GT350 but low key,which is my cup of tea.

I dunno if I'd pay for one even with my x plan. It just doesn't seem worth it. Every s197 I have been in was disappointing. I really wanted to like it and was ready to buy. The handling of the 09 bullitt is no where close to the 01's. I think if they sold these at 26k it would be more appealing. Any one have any seat time in a Shelby GT? I have heard they have a tighter suspension and a more aggresive tune.

I dunno if I'd pay for one even with my x plan. It just doesn't seem worth it. Every s197 I have been in was disappointing. I really wanted to like it and was ready to buy. The handling of the 09 bullitt is no where close to the 01's. I think if they sold these at 26k it would be more appealing. Any one have any seat time in a Shelby GT? I have heard they have a tighter suspension and a more aggresive tune.

That's a really odd comment. I've owned a 2001 GT and a 1985 GT (along with many other Mustangs) and to me there is no comparison between those and the
S197's. My 07 GT is tighter, more solid (less flex), handles better, is quicker and is just plain a better car in every way than any of those others.

I don't think you'll find many who drove and compared who would think the S95's or Foxes are anywhere near as good as the S197.

I'm glad you likeyour old ones, I enjoyed mine, but I would never go back to them.

My moms shelby gt is very impressive for a off the lot stock car. Compared to my car which was stockish, it was nice. The suspension is tight, by no means aggressive, but felt nice. I like the suspension feel, I think there is much more potential in it then a fox chassis design, simply because it has most of what you want to put on a fox chassis from the factory. Many things are justifiable coming from a 2v GT to a s197, however I can understand why your Mach does feel better in some situations. I like the bullet, not mad crazy in love, but I like it. All the parts on it though for me, doesn't justify the price tag. Hence why I bought a low mileage pristine 06 so I don't have to deal with the tire sensors and the immediate value drop off the lot. To each there own, some prefer 4 valve, some prefer 3v. I think all in all both have great potential and it comes down to whether you want a mach 1 edge or s197 retro theme. Owning a 3v, it would be hard to make me switch to a 4v, simply because theres not going to be much of a gain in performance as both perform excellent. One last thing, you need to remember that the mach is just a little bit lighter then the bullitt, so think what could happen with some weight reduction :nice:

That's a really odd comment. I've owned a 2001 GT and a 1985 GT (along with many other Mustangs) and to me there is no comparison between those and the
S197's. My 07 GT is tighter, more solid (less flex), handles better, is quicker and is just plain a better car in every way than any of those others.

I don't think you'll find many who drove and compared who would think the S95's or Foxes are anywhere near as good as the S197.

I'm glad you likeyour old ones, I enjoyed mine, but I would never go back to them.

My first comparison was a 2001 GT to my 91 GT. I thought the 01 felt slower and heavier, no low end torque. I thought the same about an 06 I tested before I picked the Mach 1. However I would agree the s197 is a better chassis, and the interior is nicer, but it seems lacking in every other area. Who knows maybe one with the Ford Racing handling and Supercharger packs would fit the bill.

Also, I don't really like the old ones so much, its why I wanted to get a new one, but it really seems to me the only way to go might be an 03-04 Cobra.

My first comparison was a 2001 GT to my 91 GT. I thought the 01 felt slower and heavier, no low end torque. I thought the same about an 06 I tested before I picked the Mach 1. However I would agree the s197 is a better chassis, and the interior is nicer, but it seems lacking in every other area. Who knows maybe one with the Ford Racing handling and Supercharger packs would fit the bill.

Also, I don't really like the old ones so much, its why I wanted to get a new one, but it really seems to me the only way to go might be an 03-04 Cobra.

If you have the money for an 03/04 Cobra, do not even waste your time on an S197. I don't care what anybody here says, but the 03/04 Cobras out handle, out perform, and out class the new mustang 10 fold. They are still going for 25k on average and they are 4 and 5 year old cars. That's saying something. Also, if you ever decided you wanted a s/c on a newer stang, you couldn't go above 500rwhp or you would blow the engine w/ out building it. With a Cobra, it comes with a built motor from the factory and can handle outrageous amounts of power in stock form (well over 900rwhp).

If you have the money for an 03/04 Cobra, do not even waste your time on an S197. I don't care what anybody here says, but the 03/04 Cobras out handle, out perform, and out class the new mustang 10 fold. They are still going for 25k on average and they are 4 and 5 year old cars. That's saying something. Also, if you ever decided you wanted a s/c on a newer stang, you couldn't go above 500rwhp or you would blow the engine w/ out building it. With a Cobra, it comes with a built motor from the factory and can handle outrageous amounts of power in stock form (well over 900rwhp).

Who said anything about building a car for 500 HP? Having second thoughts about pouring money into your S197 without a plan?:nice:

Who said anything about building a car for 500 HP? Having second thoughts about pouring money into your S197 without a plan?:nice:

If he is looking at a 2003/2004 Cobra, my guess is that he wants to build his car to push past the 500rwhp mark. Hell, a Cobra with a ported eaton and a pulley puts down near 515rwhp and similar tq numbers. Sure, that can be done with a s197 but you are on borrowed time above the 450-475rwhp mark. With a Cobra, 515rwhp is child's play heh

There is no doubt that the s197 is a nice, tight platform........ much quieter and well behaved, so smooth it almost does not seem like a mustang anymore

I just happen to like raw, so I suppose I am in the right car :nice:

Also you have to remember is the 197 being a nice comfortable car, thats more sporty nice then raw strong, has the unique possibility of feeling like a super car, much like a gt500 KR, as described by many of the reviews.

Thing is, you can make a 197 as fast and as raw as you want, it's all about money though.

Nay, the 03/04 cobra is way more raw for the same power as an s197 hands down.

As far as mach 1 vs. s197, if the mach 1 has an IRS, get the Mach IMO. It's a 4v for one, and add a s/c or turbo onto it and just QQ to any s197 that wants tho race you. Srsly.

btw...tis is a drunkz pos so take it for whats it worth! :cheers:

I almost bought a 03/04 before I bought my S197. The only reason I did not is because I had to drive the car every day in Chicago for about a year. I wasn't willing to put a cobra through that. Both because I would have fealt sorry for the car and because 11MPG's all the time would kill my wallet. I understand it could probably get better MPG's than that but my right foot says otherwise. Its all about priorities.... If I had a garage in Chicago that I could have stored a Cobra in and a daily driver I would have picked one up. But I didn't and my car was cheap for a new car if you ask me.

Now that I have the S197 I'm not ever going back though. My car is payed off and almost ready to get a heart transplant that will make it faster than a stock to mildly modded 03/04 cobra with better reliability and no IRS....

If you want a race car get the Cobra, if you want a daily driver with great potential, get a S197.