My 351 build with pics

So you do have to use a spacer for the balancer? Thanks for the heads up on that, I've heard from some people that you do, and that you didn't from other people.

Keep it up!

well by spacer on the balancer i mean after i put the balancer on i will need to make a spacer to put on then the crank pully. I'm usong my under drives from my 5.0 so that could be why? if you look at the first few pics i posted when i started you can see how long/deep the stock 351 crank pully is! if your far enough along i could make you a spacer when i do mine? just give me the amount of spacing you need, i will machine it out of alumn as long as we have the thickness at work you need.i also might make my own fuel rails so if you need them let me know also.peace

john:p

• Sponsors (?)

nice looks like mine, I first started painting my valve covers and the intake black around 2 years ago, but I like the block silver..

but looks damn good should move out nice, what kind of springs do you have set up on those heads? bk set his 351 up with a flat tappet cam and roller springs and wiped out the cam on startup..

I think I saw you putting a roller cam in it, but just make sure you have roller cam!!

nice looks like mine, I first started painting my valve covers and the intake black around 2 years ago, but I like the block silver..

but looks damn good should move out nice, what kind of springs do you have set up on those heads? bk set his 351 up with a flat tappet cam and roller springs and wiped out the cam on startup..

I think I saw you putting a roller cam in it, but just make sure you have roller cam!!

i was gonna go roller but i stayed flat tappet. the springs are stock AFR springs. i'm hoping it will run nice! i still need a throttle body injectors and a MAF thanks peace

i hate to bring bad news but have you test fitted your stock valve covers with the roller rockers installed? they might hit.. and with my stock harmonic dampener it didn't need a spacer, when i did my research for the 351 i found a site explaining the different size harmonic dampeners, and which one works on a 351 into a fox with stoxk fox brackets, which BTW the alternator bracket will work but the power steering wont, FRPP sells that black steel plate on the PS mount, same as stock but extended to fit the 351

i hate to bring bad news but have you test fitted your stock valve covers with the roller rockers installed? they might hit.. and with my stock harmonic dampener it didn't need a spacer, when i did my research for the 351 i found a site explaining the different size harmonic dampeners, and which one works on a 351 into a fox with stoxk fox brackets, which BTW the alternator bracket will work but the power steering wont, FRPP sells that black steel plate on the PS mount, same as stock but extended to fit the 351

I think the stock valve covers will clear,they were on my 302 with FRPP alumn rockers and no problems a buddy has a set of tall ones i could also aways use.i made the spacer to line up with the water pump pully to the crank pully.peace

What years 351w balancers DON'T need a spacer? I'm using an 85 balancer, and wondering if it will need one.

i dont know what years need and dont need them?the only reason i can think of is if you go with fox style acc. and/or you dont have all the 351 acc. then the 351w water pump dont line up? Dont know didnt do that much reasearch on it. peace

well unfortunatly my project has come to a slow down i was laid off on the 21st. so i have done some work got the switches installed. the red is the line locks and the blue is the fan,also mounted and hooked up the electrical on the line locks. relocated the shift light not to sure if i'm gonna like it or not yet tho? also cleaned everything way better but got cold as hell here so the paint is on hold till it warms a bit.also got the alt torn apart and painted then reassembled it came out good i like it. here are some pics.

View attachment 283975

View attachment 283977

View attachment 283979

View attachment 283981

not part of my project but some pics from the river last week :D

View attachment 283983

View attachment 283985

i was gonna go roller but i stayed flat tappet. the springs are stock AFR springs. i'm hoping it will run nice! i still need a throttle body injectors and a MAF thanks peace

well im fixing to give you some very helpfull advice. get the proper springs for it. dude i wipped out a $375 custom cam by not having the proper springs. the only reason every lobe didnt get galled was because it smashed the lifters into mushrooms and i could get them out of the block.

edit: with my crane rockers my stock vlave covers fit. i had to grind the baffle mount down a little bit but they worked. and i had to use a spacer on my frpp balancer.

well im fixing to give you some very helpfull advice. get the proper springs for it. dude i wipped out a $375 custom cam by not having the proper springs. the only reason every lobe didnt get galled was because it smashed the lifters into mushrooms and i could get them out of the block.

edit: with my crane rockers my stock vlave covers fit. i had to grind the baffle mount down a little bit but they worked. and i had to use a spacer on my frpp balancer.

ok thanks! but how do i find out what springs i need? do i contact AFR or lunatti on that? peace

That's ridiculous - laid off on the 21st. Sorry to hear........what do ya do??

I forgot about your thread........Lookin good!!!:nice:

thanks i'm a welder fabracator but i'm about burnt out on it. i've been welding for 19 years and it sucks anymore. been thinking of going into tella comunications? or something else. if it wasent for xmas i'd still be moving foward on the engine i'm only making $300 less a month on unemployment then i was when i was working.but then to i'm not in a big hurry right this minute to get a job cause it's dam cold here (highs have been 30 for the past and next week) plus with the world in a slump. peace

well not much of an update....more of a knowledge one. contacted lunatii and got the spring pressures then got in touch with summit and the springs are the wrong ones for my cam. so i need new springs they will set me back $70 so not to bad? better to spend the $70 for the propper springs then another almost $250 for cam and lifters! peace

thanks i'm a welder fabracator but i'm about burnt out on it. i've been welding for 19 years and it sucks anymore. been thinking of going into tella comunications? or something else. if it wasent for xmas i'd still be moving foward on the engine i'm only making $300 less a month on unemployment then i was when i was working.but then to i'm not in a big hurry right this minute to get a job cause it's dam cold here (highs have been 30 for the past and next week) plus with the world in a slump. peace

Well I do telecommunications installing digital TV/internet as a side job on days off. Not too bad. Depending what kinda work you get into. I had to buy all my tools which set me back around a grand. Probably better for your health then welding. You've been doing it a long time!

Well keep the project movin!!! No excuses lol!

:flag::canada: