My 351 build with pics

well not much of an update....more of a knowledge one. contacted lunatii and got the spring pressures then got in touch with summit and the springs are the wrong ones for my cam. so i need new springs they will set me back $70 so not to bad? better to spend the $70 for the propper springs then another almost $250 for cam and lifters! peace

john:p

glad i could help. to bad i had to learn the hard way.

• Sponsors (?)

Well I do telecommunications installing digital TV/internet as a side job on days off. Not too bad. Depending what kinda work you get into. I had to buy all my tools which set me back around a grand. Probably better for your health then welding. You've been doing it a long time!

Well keep the project movin!!! No excuses lol!

:flag::canada:

thats exactly what part i was thinking of going into dish or direct tv. talked to numerous installers and if you bust ass you can do good at it. thats what he said about his tools also about a grand. peace

Yeah John you certainly can make some good cash busting your butt! At least as long as there is work. The job sucks when you have to go into some really crappy houses. It's pretty hard to believe how some people live.

I've also had to crawl through some pretty bad crawl spaces to run wires etc. but hey every job has some downfalls.

i just stuffed my 393 into my fox about a week ago, i DEFINATELY couldnt use the stock valve covers, i have 1.72 scorpion rockers and the valve covers didnt even lay flat on the head, went with some fabricated tall ones.

as far as the balancer goes i found one off a lightning on ebay for next to nothing and it all lined up perfectly, i think it cost me about 30 bucks shipped.

i broke down and bought the 351 bracket that allows you to use the stock 5.0 ac brackets and power steering, it was around 100 bucks or so.

ironicly im also waiting on my injectors, bought some 42's off here but i guess cause of the holidays they are taking forever to get here.

as far as the fuel pump excentric goes, i have to be honest, the first time i ever saw one i thought it was an oil slinger. HAHA but i also agree with what someone else posted earlier i bet he just had the timing off a bit.

i feel your pain on being laid off man, im a jet engine mechanic by trade, worked on f-18s in the marines and then i worked on the osprey when it was in its flight test phase. it sucks man so many people from so many trades are being laid off left and right. man is it hard trying to support a serious mustang habit on unemployment!

good luck to ya

o buy the way lemme save you alot of guess work and quite a few trips to the parts store... if you go with the conversion bracket to use the stock 5.0 ac and powersteering locations as well as running the stock alternator and smog pump i have the belt size you need. took me 3 trips and 7 belts to get it right...

duralast 930K6 from autozone

o buy the way lemme save you alot of guess work and quite a few trips to the parts store... if you go with the conversion bracket to use the stock 5.0 ac and powersteering locations as well as running the stock alternator and smog pump i have the belt size you need. took me 3 trips and 7 belts to get it right...

duralast 930K6 from autozone

:lol: thanks man!i know for as of now i'll be running power steering water pump crank alt. no smog no a/c. where did you get the kit for the acc brackets? and part numbers. peace

i got it from summit, ill get the part number and get back to you, i still got the reciept in the garage, they have one for strictly doing the power steering and then they got one that allows you to do the power steering and ac. the ps and ac one is the one i have, its exactly like the stock one only bigger with different holes in it obviously, it worked awesome, plug and play so to speak. lemme go to the garage and ill get the summit part numbers for you

try this link, it should take you to my summit shopping cart which i added both the brackets

SummitRacing.com - My Shopping Cart

if it doesnt work the part numbers and prices are as follows

FMS-M-8511-B351 - POWER STEERING/AC - $99.88

FMS-M-8511-A351 - POWER STEERING - $61.95

your alternator side bracket will line up with no issues at all but if you want to use the stock 5.0 power steering then thats the bracket that you need to run it on a 351.

you also might need the reducer bushings that allow you to use the stock bolts, im not sure about afr but my world products heads i had to have them, i went to ford and i kid you not they wanted 21 bucks a piece for them and they had to special order them, then i went to my local machine shop and he had a bunch of them layin around so he gave me 2 at 3 bucks a piece. if you need them i got the part number for them as well, just let me know, but the machine shop knew exactly what i was talking about just by me saying reducer bushing for a ford.

another problem i had a issue with was the stock ac bracket that mounts directly to the head, i know this doesnt pertain to anyone thats not running ac but for those that are i had to drill out the lower hole alittle bit, it was about 1/8th of an inch off from lining up perfectly but that could just be my heads. world products states it in this flyer that they throw in with the heads, i didnt believe it till i tried it and sure enough it was off.

i had another issue with the power steering, because the 351 is so much freakin taller then the 302 is my power steering pump filler neck was basicly right up next to the battery box so there was no way i could put the bolt in the head and then slide the pump onto the bolt, i had to put the bolt through the pump and thread it into the head all at the same time i was holding the pump in place. i hope this makes since, if not i can try and explain it further. just a few issues i remember having right off the top of my head

check these out and youll know what i was talkin about for the steering pump, check out the clearance, i unbolted the hose clamp that holds the hose to the side of the frame so i had some good slack in the line and then once i was able to get the pump in place and the bolt threaded i reinstalled the hose clamp.

dsc03617qh5.jpg

By badass79cj5, shot with DSC-P200 at 2008-12-23

dsc03618ki5.jpg

By badass79cj5, shot with DSC-P200 at 2008-12-23

Attachments

• dsc03617qh5.jpg
    dsc03617qh5.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 84
  • dsc03618ki5.jpg
    dsc03618ki5.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 67
its definately close thats for sure, its something ive already got my eye on for when i get her fired up, the metal part of the coupling on the hose is whats close to the plastic part of the battery box but still i might have to reroute it if its a problem. it really sucked putting that pump on, took me awhile to outsmart it, dont really realize how much taller the 351 is when its on the engine stand but once you get her stuffed in the car its quite obvious

looks pretty sweet, when u gonna throw it in the car?

also i forgot to tell you about the exhaust, maybe you already know but if not the drivers side header you are gonna have to put in from underneath the car because the steering shaft is gonna be in the way to get it in from up top.

looks pretty sweet, when u gonna throw it in the car?

also i forgot to tell you about the exhaust, maybe you already know but if not the drivers side header you are gonna have to put in from underneath the car because the steering shaft is gonna be in the way to get it in from up top.

well i have long tubes so i will remove the steering shaft this time. but i might have it out anyways for the flaming river rack? :D peace

holy crap I have that cap and I hate the red.........how hard was that to do?? what paint did you use?

dude simple!all i did was masking tape off the prongs for the wires then i taped off the MSD and cut the letters out leaving the tape on the letters. i used regular ole flat black.I'm not putting the cap that goes over my nice new black FRPP wires tho!peace

there is also i guy putting ls1 heads on a 351. i aint saying it cant be doen but it aint a direct bolt on.

and i dont see how its possible. on a cleveland the water neck is ona block and the coolant doesnt pass through the intake. so there are no provisions for it. so how would you even get coolant to the engine? you couldnt use a windor style intake.

the boss 302 was a 4 bolt main windsor 302 with 351 cleveland heads. The intake is the key here as you must run a windsor style intake to circulate the coolant to the block and heads, also water jackets on the block needs to be modified. it was a popular swap in the 80 people called them clevor motors but with the aftermarket flooded with like a bazillion high quality heads its not cost effective at all. oh and i know this cuz i have a boss 302

not much of a progress,had a little trouble with the dizzy dropping in come to find out that where the oil pump shaft goes inside the dizzy there was a slight burr there. So after i filed it off in like butter.I'm also ordering a SCT 4 bank chip for it next week for the tune. Worked out good cause later down the road i'll plan on some squeeze :D peace

Well a small update again,all i need is a pig tail to adapt from the lightning maf to the fox maf wireing. I will bolt it all together next week and plan on breaking it in the 2nd week in febuary! Called AFR and for the cost of shipping they are shiopping me the correct springs for my cam in exchange for the roller sparings!I did do a slight color combo change with the lower.I might end up cleanning it all off tho?As it looks now all that will be natraul or polished finish is the throttle body(polished) and pullies (semi polished )radiator (polished finish)and the alt bracket(natrual finish)i'll do a quick mock up tomorrow and post pics and you guys say yes or no on the new lower color! stay tuned the good **** is about to happen videos also. peace