Progress Thread My 89 Lx Gets The Trickflow Top End Treatment Etc....etc.

• Sponsors (?)

I did it by the book, exhaust starts to open, tighten intake to zero lash, then half turn and tighten down the lock. intake is almost closed adjust exhaust to zero lash, then half turn and lock it down. I believe the lifters are just at different stages of pump, but they have quite a few miles on them so I made the decision to purchase new ones from LMR. Figured it just gave me a second chance to avoid any future problems for a 125 bucks.

Reactions: 1 users
There was never any slop or slack in the pushrods when I finished and I'm sure it would of been fine, but new valve springs on old lifters just didn't seem like the way to go anymore, more than once I was told the old lifters would be fine since it's roller, I didn't wanna find out once I put it all together that I had a lifter collapse.

Reactions: 2 users
There was never any slop or slack in the pushrods when I finished and I'm sure it would of been fine, but new valve springs on old lifters just didn't seem like the way to go anymore, more than once I was told the old lifters would be fine since it's roller, I didn't wanna find out once I put it all together that I had a lifter collapse.
This happened to me... sucks to get the car finished and 20 miles later collapse a lifter, consider it cheap insurance.

Waiting for the new lifters and busy at work so there wasn't a whole lot to talk about. I did manage to clean up the heater tube with a Scotch Brite and paint it with some rustoleum enamel engine paint I had laying around, hopefully it lasts for awhile.

20160812_191304.jpg

Last edited:
They finally showed up and I installed them last night, glad I went with new ones, all of the rockers adj very nicely so time to start moving forward with this deal.

20160811_192807.jpg

Last edited:
I was switching everything over to the new lower intake today in anticipation of installing it, that's when I pulled this out and realized I probably need a new one. I had a slight oil leak for the past year or so and never figured out from what. Maybe pressure from it being clogged, maybe this was the culprit? Tried to get one today but they didn't have it in stock, should be there first thing tomorrow morning, also grabbed some Right Stuff for the ends of the intake instead of the supplied gaskets. Never used it but I've heard good things so figured I'd give it a try over the ultra black.

20160811_192122-1.jpg
20160812_184852.jpg

Last edited:
Kinda like the lifters, except even cheaper, I would also replace that PCV screen. Sure cant hurt to. And I dont see why that right stuff wouldnt work for the ends of the lower intake. I never used the cork changing mine out. Cant wait for you to wrap this up and see how you feel about the car!

Reactions: 3 users
Kinda like the lifters, except even cheaper, I would also replace that PCV screen. Sure cant hurt to. And I dont see why that right stuff wouldnt work for the ends of the lower intake. I never used the cork changing mine out. Cant wait for you to wrap this up and see how you feel about the car!
I'll be replacing it, you should of seen the face on the counter guys when I told them what I needed, Advanced Auto Parts and Auto Zone looked at me like.....It's for what ?? Carquest to their credit asked me if I knew what it looked like and helped me find it. They didn't have it but promised for first thing tomorrow morning.

Should buy a couple of them. Those pcv screens are getting hard to find....I had to get mine from NAPA... Advance told me it didn't exist....Autozone told me they couldn't get it....Napa had one in a dusty box on the shelf. Their grommet doesn't fit right....too loose. Had to use Right Stuff to seal it in ( around outside of grommet )

Didn't have any time today for some real progress but slapped some stuff together. The lower intake bolts looked like crap and I forgot to order new ones, so out came the rattle can again.

20160814_010449.jpg
20160814_010533.jpg
20160814_010607-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I wish I had more time lately for more progress but I don't , I coach Rec football and it started last week which is Mon - Fri from 6:30 to 9:00 pm for the month of August and gets even worse in September. I did get the lower intake on and the injectors and stuff but , I trimmed the intake gasket cause it was sitting over the water jacket, is this right ? Who knows ? I couldn't find a definitive answer so off it came, I must of torqued the intake bolts 5 times already, for some reason everytime I put the torque wrench on them they move a little till 22 pounds. Weird ?? But I've decided I'm friggin done tightening them, so if it blows the gasket or some damn thing lesson learned. At the point where I'm gonna prime the oil pump and start slapping this thing together and see what happens.
20160814_102557-1.jpg

20160814_211616.jpg
20160815_214349.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users