My 96 Cobra's mini progress thread

The L/T's were on there all along, I'm keeping them on there because I'd prolly lose 30-40RWHP without them...or more.

Okay, I got a call from my transmission shop. There is NOTHING wrong with the T45. They said everything works perfect. Reverse just needs a shift collar because it has burrs in it. They said 4th gear looks great, so does all other gears and all synchros and blockers!! (I knew T45's weren't junk like everybody says)

So why did I have a 4th gear pop-out every once in a while???....Because they said my shifter was screwed up. The rubber boot was all chewed up and it had some graphite shavings in it. They think that something fell in there and was causing a problem. They cleaned it all out and they want the shifter handle and bolts now to recheck/adjust all the stops. Do shifters wear out?????

The good news is I don't have to pay a ton of money for a rebuild kit, but I do have to pay them labor, and the reverse collar, plus I bought the 85 dollar billet keys.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, I did. I never knew the brand til now. It is a B&M Pro, which is one expensive biotch on Mustang Parts & Accessories - 50resto I found it used in a fox body Mustang that came in here, so I got it for free. :D I never even knew the brand of it because I installed it so long ago. They think the stops were set wrong. I never adjusted them, I just threw it in.

I'm sitting here bothered now.......Prolly won't get it all assembled til tomorrow to know if the shifters any good still. So then I'll have to order one and wait for it to get here. I'm not in a big hurry to get the car back, but it did snow a hiar this morning, so I'd like to get it back before we get acculilation and in Michigan, everyday is different.

IF I have to buy a new shifter, I'm going with an MGW. Everybody raves about them.

No accumulation, but it did snow a little. Truck hood as covered, so was the roof of my garage, but nothing on the street or grass.

I hope I don't have to buy a shifter, because they are 179.99. I'm trying to keep the cost on this fix as low as possible. I don't mind paying for labor on the trans because at least I know there is nothing wrong with it. Just sucks I have to pay for them to tell me that. Just don't know why there would be shaving inside the shifter cup. They cleaned it all up, so they'll know tomorrow if it's still good when they adjust it.

I drive a 1997 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat with 110K miles.

(Red with grey leather. Ext Cab 6' box. I bought it wrecked in 2006 from the original owner with 87K. I only had to put a box on it and it was done. No frame damage. I couldn't believe the guy wouldn't fix it. It's been a great truck besides having to replace the exhaust manifolds.)

Another update....He just called again. Reverse has 40 thousandths of play in it and the spec is less than 10 thousandths. That's why I deal with my transmission shop. They call me with all the details and info....not just "Hey it's fixed." Leaving me wondering what was wrong?

UPDATE: The reverse synchro came in wrong on Tuesday and Wednesday. :mad: The correct one came in today. They are also in need of a part that is obsolete from all dealers. I found one and ordered it. I would have gotten the transmission back tomorrow, but the part itself won't come in until Tuesday.

:D:D:D I also bit the bullet and bought a new MGW shifter and dust boot.:D:D:D

I'll get that on Tuesday too, so I'll take both peices over to them Tuesday and hopefully get the trans back on Wednesday/Thursday next week.

MGW shifter FTW!!!

I got a leather dustboot from redline goods. Once i clean up the car this weekend i'll make sure to take PLENTY of pics for u guys!

I can't believe they don't make some parts for the t45's anymore? :nonono:

Yeah dude, snap some good pics of the car once it's all cleaned up, I'd love to see it man!!

I ran over to the trans shop after work. I saw the stock 3rd/4th keys.....OMG...what junk. They are stamped tin foil compared to the billit steel ones I bought. They were literally thin, hollow, peices of crap. He even said the clips that held them in were crap and the aftermarket clips I got were stronger. He also showed me the reverse set up with the original syncrho. Even though I no nothing of rebuilding transmissions, there was a ton of play in there. The new syncrho he bought right from Ford and was in way better shape. He is also selling my that thing at cost (150) instead of (180). He said he just wants labor, no markup on the part. That was really nice of them. I hooked him up with some Stealth parts last month, so he said we're even.

UPS just dropped off my parts from 50resto. A red 7 tooth speedo drive gear with clip, a white 23 tooth speedo gear with clip....57 dollar overnight charge!! :D:nonono: Next day air shipping charge hurt the behind a little, but hey, it saves me 3-4 days...and the snow is flying around here. I need to get the trans back to Alternative as quick as possible so I can get the car home soon as possible.

Snow??? I actually want it to snow, the day AFTER my car goes inside.

:D

Get some work done already! Haha

Yes snow!! I can't believe it. My buddy came over and borrowed my truck yesterday and when he came back for his Grand Prix it was covered!! I can't even clean up my leaves in the back yard. IT rained all week, then snowed yesterday. WTF?

Just dropped the gears off at the trans shop...waiting on MGW shifter...supposed to be here tomorrow...:D

I will. I told one of the mechanics over there I bought that. He said all the 03-04 Cobra guys put those in their cars and he said that is the best shifter. He was just as excited as I was about it. I should get the trans back over there tomorrow sometime along with my aluminum driveshaft, so hopefully they can get it back together some time next week. I'd be happy to pick the car up like Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Got a call today. The car is strapped on the dyno and will have the tuned checked and have a couple pulls made...so the list of new stuff is:

Gone through T45 that got 3rd/4th billet keys and new reverse synchro
New MGW shifter
New FMS clutch kit
New water pump
New antifreeze
Aluminum driveshaft
Checked tune/retune in necessary

Getting the car back on Monday. I'll let you know how everything drove and maybe a video, but I can't get on it yet till the clutch breaks in. It felt good not having to do a damn thing to my car. I just sat back. It's been outta my garage since Nov. 1st. Hack Job is all alone, but I have to admit it's nice having a big open space in there...lol