My Cobra's replacement

• Sponsors (?)

It looks good, but most owners I sell used parts to say they are money pits.

Ask him if the chrome wheels leak air. They usually corrode where the tires seal to the wheel bead.

#1 reason I sold mine.

It had Lincoln disease...where everything electrical that could go wrong...did.

I was always replacing something on that car. When the air bags started to go...i jumped ship.

Awesome cars...but money pits. My '93 Mark 8 sold for $41,000 back in 1993. I sold it with 83,000 10-years later for $1800 :(

Only thing on that car that never had a hiccup was the 4V engine :) I wish i just yanked it and sent the car to the boneyard.

Ask him if the chrome wheels leak air. They usually corrode where the tires seal to the wheel bead.
Funny cause I was gonna ask if you had a cd changer for it..... and a F/B seat motor :p
But yeah he replaced so much stuff and all I gotta do is the MAF and the fender im cool. It was only 3K for the car :shrug:

Sorry I’m late to the thread Bill. I was away this weekend. Very nice Mark. For $3,200, you got a great deal. I would have wanted that much for my ’93 had we decided on a little trade. As far as the Mustang wheel conversion goes, Mike is correct. You need to go with the SN95 hub swap up front. You could go with the ’99-’03 Cobra hub swap out back, but I just had the ones on my Cougar redrilled at a machine shop. They’re a pain in the ass to remove though. The Marks do have slightly larger brakes than the Mustang up front, but they still utilize a single piston caliper, which in the end leaves a lot on the table. If you wanted to improve them cheaply, you could do a PBR front brake swap from a ’99-up Mustang for the time being until Cobra brakes were a little more in your price range.

I noticed you were thinking of buying a set of tires for it, but 245/50/16s? You do realize you’re going to come up waaaay short on the height, right (about an inch and a quarter)? I’ve got a set of 255/50/17’s on my Cat (which are a hair taller than stock) and the MN12’s run the same size tire as the Marks do. Not only will your speedometer/odometer be all out of whack, but it might look a little silly unless you plan on slamming that car?

Another site/forum you also might want to take a look at is Lincolns of Distinction. They have some decent tech stuff over there you might want to check out.

Keep us posted and damn you for selling my car! :mad:

Actually there are some wheels at Tire Rack I like in 18" that fit and a killer set on MarkViii.org for $800 I really like. And yeah I figure if I just get some Sumitomos in 255/50 for now they will work. I know 245s fit on the wheel and some 255s and since Sumis run narrow it should work :shrug:
As far as brakes I found a Cobra kit that keeps all the Lincoln specs for wheels (except 17"+ ) for $700 shipped new :banana:

Nice new ride Bill....Its a shame you had to sell the Cobra, but thats a worthy replacement right there. I love the Mark VIII's & they are soooo comfy. I never knew that they had the newer style 4V in the 97's though...Like someone else said, once you go 4V, you cant go back...

some new rims & paint on the fender it will look awesome.:nice:

Did you end up keeping those FR500 wheels? They'd look pretty sick on a Mark. The Mustang offset would probably bring them right out to the edge of the fender where a set of wheels should be. :nice:

I thought you hated FR500's??:shrug:

Wrong lug pattern ........ n00b :rolleyes:

:hide:

Not if you convert to the Mustang hubs like Mike and I have ORDERED you to do! :D
I thought you hated FR500's??:shrug:
Only on Mustangs. I think they'd look sick on a Mark VIII (I already know they look great on an Explorer)....especially in all chrome like the ones he had were. I would have keep the ones I had for my Cat if the offset would have been more MN12 friendly. The fenders of the Mark stick out more than those of my Cougar, so it should swallow the wheels up nicely. :nice: