My Eighty dollar LX

Stever89

5 Year Member
Dec 14, 2009
Biloxi, MS
Hey guys, new to the forums.

I just acquired this Mustang a month or so ago. The guy who owned it gave it to me. It wasn't running and he didn't have the time/patience to mess with it and he said he was going to give it to a friend. I asked him if I could have it, I'd work on it in my spare time and get it running if possible. I transferred the title and got a tag for it last week.

He'd only owned it himself for a few months. He bought it from a guy who built it up, but I'm not sure what all has been done to it. I can see reinforcement welding under the car, there was a list of things he'd done but it was mostly illegible. I can make out "driveshaft", "Roush" and "Flowmaster" and new T5 but that's about it. It's 4 lug, and I've been reading up on the swithover. It needs a bath and paint, and those cheesy graphics gotta go too, but hey, I've got less than a hundred bucks in it. Then engine bay needs tidying up too.

I've been around Fords for years, but I'm not sure what's been done to this one. It's got an Edelbrock carb, Victor Jr. intake, headers, electronic ignition and electric fuel pump. Comments definitely welcome.

YouTube - 100_0844.mov

Sorry about the crappy video, I'm not too good at that stuff yet.

100_0832.jpg

100_0828.jpg

100_0842.jpg

100_0823.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

fifty bux says its an ex four banger. with some elbow grease it has lots of potential. look forward to seeing more of it, and helping answer any of your questions.

Score!

Nice car, what did you have to do to get it running? It sounds like it's pretty built and might possibly have a 351 in it.

I don't know how much you know about these cars, but I can tell you they aren't carb'd from the factory so it definatly has had some work done to the motor.

Slap some paint on it and call it good!

being a former 4cyl it would be easier to rip the wiring out and go carb versus transferring the EEC and EFI crap over from another car. that was the dead ringer for me.

nice free car. it probably is an ex four banger. friend had an 89 four banger with those style cc plates i believe. who ever did the 5.0 swap did it right, its got the gt seats, and the 140mph cluster it looks like.

is there a way he could tell? i got my vin decoded over on mustanggt.org but that might be just gt's. carfax maybe? is there a wya to tell on the sticker on the door by the tire size or something?

nice free car. it probably is an ex four banger. friend had an 89 four banger with those style cc plates i believe. who ever did the 5.0 swap did it right, its got the gt seats, and the 140mph cluster it looks like.

is there a way he could tell? i got my vin decoded over on mustanggt.org but that might be just gt's. carfax maybe? is there a wya to tell on the sticker on the door by the tire size or something?

According to the VIN and this site, 1989 Mustang Body Styles - MustangAttitude.com Data Explorer
it was originally a 4 popper, with the "A" in the VIN.

It does have the 140 speedo. and GT seats? See, that something I didn't know. Thanks :)

yeah be glad too, the gt seats have adjustable lumbar, side bolsters, ect, the lx seats were just plane jane seats. and seing as how the never made the coupe as a gt, they were added to your car. there very comfy too, mines leaning a little bit (common problem, frames kinda thin) and they are more comfortable than my jeep seats on long drives.

yeah be glad too, the gt seats have adjustable lumbar, side bolsters, ect, the lx seats were just plane jane seats. and seing as how the never made the coupe as a gt, they were added to your car. there very comfy too, mines leaning a little bit (common problem, frames kinda thin) and they are more comfortable than my jeep seats on long drives.

I had a feeling they weren't original because the buttons on the side (I guess they're reclining adjustments) don't work. I can feel a connector under there from the seat not connected to anything and I can't feel anything to hook it to, there may not be a connection.

oh well i stand corrected. the buttons on the side are for the lumbar. the 2 way swtich. they still recline with the big lever on the side, flip foward with the button on the back, and move foward back with the big lever underneath the front.

you might be able to post up a picture of the clip you have hanging and we might be able to tell you how to get it 12v so it will work.

your car didnt come with those seats, thats why theres no plug for it on the car side of the equation.