My first actual race with the 418

1slow95

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
ohio
First, let me say I didn't win, but I could have with better driving. :D I raced my friend with a 427W 95 GT from a 40mph roll in second. I could'nt hear his honks over the exhaust so he got about a car length on me right at the start. After that it was dead even through 2nd and 3rd, except I was shifting nice and easy trying not to break another T5 ;). I started to pull on him a little in 4th but we both ran out of gear before I could reel him in. His mods are
427W around 10-10.5:1 compression
AFR 225's
TF stage 3 cam
Super Vic lower intake converted to EFI with a spyder elbow
90MM TB, 90MM MAF, 42#ers
He put down 462RWHP and around 450RWTQ

I have what's in my sig. My car is not tuned, running the stock 95 computer. Im still using the stock ignition, no MSD 6A yet. Also still running the stock FPR. :)

He would jump ahead just a little on each shift. I was shifting faster than I should have with this V-6 tranny, but it was still slow enough to keep from breaking it, and I got to drive the car home tonight instead of trailering it like last time. :)

Tonight was the first time I've really tore into it since I got it running. One of my friends was riding with me and he described it almost perfectly, "Man, this thing RIPS!!" :hail2:

Oh yeah, it was a good night out on the town. We had easily over 3000RWHP present. My car, the 427, 347 S/C making 650RWHP, 500RWHP 03 Cobra, 450-500RWHP S/C 306, 400WHP Civic(yes you read that correctly), an LS1 T/A, an Evo, and a couple other slower cars. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah gas stations love me. :nonono: I get about 12-14mpg so far if Im takin it easy, about 6mpg when Im playing.

Here's a pic of my friends car that I raced
100_0785.jpg

100_0786.jpg

Good stuff man. Good to see your having some fun with it!! I bet you will make similar HP to him and alot more torque, atleast what i made, i wouldnt be suprised to see you make 490 torque. Cant wait till you get it tuned and to the track!

I can tell Im making a lot more torque than he is, especially in the lower rpm's. I tried to get him to start in 3rd(trying to save my transmission), but he wouldn't do it.

Im definitely getting it tuned as soon as I get the money, but I don't think Im gonna run it at the track this year. I don't want to take a chance on breaking this transmission. I should be ready for it next spring tho! :nice:

I had a dyno set up for thursday night, but that didn't work out. Im working on trying to get it on there next tuesday the 13th. No tuning, just a free pull to see what Im putting out right now. :banana:

yellow1995Cobra said:
Good stuff man. Good to see your having some fun with it!! I bet you will make similar HP to him and alot more torque, atleast what i made, i wouldnt be suprised to see you make 490 torque. Cant wait till you get it tuned and to the track!
HOLY SHTT, your guy's combos are identical :hail2:

that is a swee a$$ car......... i love it, jus don't really think that the 351 thing would be for me........

but it is looking clean, and glad to hear you got yours back on the road. Even if it is a v-6 tranny, you can drive it now....... Did you tear the other one down and figure out what was wrong with it....

jason

I havn't tore the old T5 apart yet, but I couldn't turn the input shaft by hand so it's gotta be bad.

The intake is the main difference between our cars. The specs on my cam are similar to the TF stage 3, and everything else is pretty much the same. Ed told me this combo would make a ton of torque, and we all know "HP sells cars, torque wins races" :p

The funny thing is, we both built these engines oblivious to what the other one was doing. I talked to him one time and told him I was doing a 351(non-stroker), but he didn't have any plans for his car at that time. Well, I ended up buying Jesse's 418 and the next time I talked to Jon about 2 or 3 months later I found out he had a 427 on order.

bjl95mustang said:
I wonder witch intake is better the ported vic or the chp spyder?

When I talked to a few engine builders they said spyder hands down.

I told Ed to give me whichever one of those intakes would work best for me and he chose the vic. I know the spyder will make more top end HP, but I think the vic is better for overall power, i.e. a fun street car making gobs of low end torque.

Here is a very blurry pic of his dyno sheet. As you can see, the low end torque is a little soft. Im thinking my car will have a much flatter torque curve.
100_1107.jpg

Low-5.0 said:
I told Ed to give me whichever one of those intakes would work best for me and he chose the vic. I know the spyder will make more top end HP, but I think the vic is better for overall power, i.e. a fun street car making gobs of low end torque.

Here is a very blurry pic of his dyno sheet. As you can see, the low end torque is a little soft. Im thinking my car will have a much flatter torque curve.
100_1107.jpg

At one time I had the victor and the spyder. My car has plenty of low end power and street driving is just fine becuase the 418 has so much low end tq. For me it was a no brainer becuase i got the spyder for $480 with the elbow and rails. I saved about $75 going with the spyded and I got it new from a local guy who was getting out of mustangs.