Progress Thread My Kenne Bell Twin Screw'd Foxbody thread, (new addition to the family)

• Sponsors (?)

Good news: Got the car out of the garage for the first time in several months to get it cleaned up a bit and snap some pictures for insurance purposes. Here are some.
IMG_0258.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0261.JPG

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

The bad: I have a leak at the "T" for the rear brake lines which means I need to remove my differential to access it. :fuss::fuss: I have yet to get to an exhaust shop nor an alignment. I'll obviously wait till the brakes are solid.

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

So I was super geeked yesterday to finally be insured and ready for a quick test drive even though the rear brake "tee" line seems to have a slow leak. I took it around my neighborhood a couple times and I got to say the ride comfort has increased 10x. That says a lot with regards to how low I have the car and the rear has stock Cobra cut springs and worn shocks. Also going from the stock 4 lug disk/drum brake setup to the Cobra 13"/11.65" with the Hawk HPS pads is an incredible difference. People aren't kidding that it's a night and day difference in stopping power!! So far the results are good. I obviously need to get out and drive it more to really get a more informed opinion but so far so good. Only hang up so far is it seems the rear driver side brake is dragging. It's more of a scraping sound, it's not slowing the car down while coasting so it could also be my dust shield could have gotten bent and is scraping against the rotor. I'll check into that this evening.

Reactions: 4 users
Also to add a couple things about insurance. After talking to Grundy, American Collectors, and Hagerty a couple times each I finally decided to go with Hagerty. I asked them all the same questions and demanded the same coverage and driving conditions and they were all about the same price per year for a 100/300/100 policy but Hagerty was the only one that didn't cringe as much when you mention driving your car every week to work. Grundy said "heck no"! to driving to work, American Collectors said I could maybe once a week but then back tracked and said maybe once a month. I told Hagerty that I want to drive my dang car to work when the weather is nice and they wanted a "how many times a year" number. So I told them about 50 times!! I'd rather go higher with the number so if they're going to have a problem I can find out about it now. I also assured them that my office and desk looks right out to my parking spot and I can see my Mustang from my desk all day long. That seemed to put them at ease. It's not like I'm parking at Walmart for work.

So anyways, I got an agreed value of $15k with 100/300/100 coverage, $0 deductible for a lump sum payment of $539 per year. During Winter time I can decrease coverage to comprehensive for storage time which will protect me from theft and vandalism and they will credit my account or issue a refund to me. Hope this helps somebody else that's looking for insurance.

Reactions: 3 users
@FoxMustangLvr I called hagerty again and I'm all set . Same type of coverage I had on the car but with the agreed value . They haggled me a bit on what is was worth but I got them to come to a number I was happy with . A little pricier then I thought . Again I am apart of Nyc here and I just turned 25 so I'm sure that all played a role . It's nice piece of mind though now . Told them all the same things like the car will be driven to work etc and no issue .

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

Reactions: 3 users
Man that seems high... I mean, I'm really happy for you that you got it done but it's like 3x higher than what I pay for basically the same coverages. For what it's worth, I'm 36 with no tickets or wrecks in like 5+ years and own a home with a few other cars in the north Dallas area. I went with CWG for the insurance.

Man that seems high... I mean, I'm really happy for you that you got it done but it's like 3x higher than what I pay for basically the same coverages. For what it's worth, I'm 36 with no tickets or wrecks in like 5+ years and own a home with a few other cars in the north Dallas area. I went with CWG for the insurance.
You have an agreed value policy for $15k or more? That's cool if you got a better deal for where you live. I'm 40 and never had an at fault accident and no tickets for over 15 years and all companies came at me in the mid $500 range. Breaks down to about $45 per month during the driving season, less when it's being stored. I'm good with that price.

@TOOLOW91 thats good you got what you wanted. It's good piece of mind when our investment is protected in case something bad happens.

Reactions: 1 user
You have an agreed value policy for $15k or more? That's cool if you got a better deal for where you live. I'm 40 and never had an at fault accident and no tickets for over 15 years and all companies came at me in the mid $500 range. Breaks down to about $45 per month during the driving season, less when it's being stored. I'm good with that price.

@TOOLOW91 thats good you got what you wanted. It's good piece of mind when our investment is protected in case something bad happens.
Exactly I can sleep a little better at night now .

**Update**

I got the rear brake lines reworked and a 4 wheel alignment is finished. As for the rear brake noise, the cause was a combination of bent dust shields scraping my rotors and hanging calipers. Reworking the brake lines and fixing the leak at the center "tee" solved that problem. As I drove the car home from getting aligned I heard my tires rubbing on the rear quarter panels on the bumps so I went out and picked up a cheap heat gun from HF for $15 and heated my fender lips and massaged them into compliance with a rubber mallet. It did the trick just perfectly!!

So this morning was my first long drive in the car. The 17 miles of rolling hill back roads through farm lands was awesome!! A very comfortable and smooth drive. Before my suspension was stiff and dang near jarring on larger bumps but now I don't have to cringe when I see a series of bumps coming. The rear shocks that came with the IRS are working but do need to be replaced. I'll keep an eye out for a decent set of Bilsteins (stock replacement) or get some Koni adjustables which can be converted to MM coil overs as funds become available.
For now I have a couple things planned for small upgrades/restoration that will have little down time but other than that it's time to just drive it and enjoy it :burnout: Next Winter will be the install of my HCI engine & PiMP engine management that was in my previous 88' Coupe :D

IMG_0316.JPG

Reactions: 9 users
**Update**

I got the rear brake lines reworked and a 4 wheel alignment is finished. As for the rear brake noise, the cause was a combination of bent dust shields scraping my rotors and hanging calipers. Reworking the brake lines and fixing the leak at the center "tee" solved that problem. As I drove the car home from getting aligned I heard my tires rubbing on the rear quarter panels on the bumps so I went out and picked up a cheap heat gun from HF for $15 and heated my fender lips and massaged them into compliance with a rubber mallet. It did the trick just perfectly!!

So this morning was my first long drive in the car. The 17 miles of rolling hill back roads through farm lands was awesome!! A very comfortable and smooth drive. Before my suspension was stiff and dang near jarring on larger bumps but now I don't have to cringe when I see a series of bumps coming. The rear shocks that came with the IRS are working but do need to be replaced. I'll keep an eye out for a decent set of Bilsteins (stock replacement) or get some Koni adjustables which can be converted to MM coil overs as funds become available.
For now I have a couple things planned for small upgrades/restoration that will have little down time but other than that it's time to just drive it and enjoy it :burnout: Next Winter will be the install of my HCI engine & PiMP engine management that was in my previous 88' Coupe :D

IMG_0316.JPG

That's awesome man!

**Update**

IMG_0316.JPG
Very cool man, it's great you get to finally enjoy it.

Congratulations man! I know you've been looking forward to that, it must be very rewarding! Sometimes the wait between payoffs seems like forever..

Reactions: 1 users
Very cool man, it's great you get to finally enjoy it.

Congratulations man! I know you've been looking forward to that, it must be very rewarding! Sometimes the wait between payoffs seems like forever..

It took me like 8-10 months to do my IRS swap, but a lot of that was waiting on money... let's see the tails and wheel gap and stuff when you get time.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate it! Waiting on money is a big part of this if you are rebuliding and upgrading most parts with FTBR & MM quality pieces like bump steer front and back, coil overs, bushing, diff brace, new wheels, etc.....All in all I'm in to this Winter upgrade of coil overs, Cobra OEM 5 lug swap and IRS for about $6k. :eek: Most parts were purchased brand new but there's no regrets here ;)

As far as gaps between the tires/wheels in relation to the subframe bracket and the front coil overs I've been very curious as well and have been waiting for my alignment before getting the measurements. I'll likely get the measurements tomorrow so I can plan my next set of new 18" wheels.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate it! Waiting on money is a big part of this if you are rebuliding and upgrading most parts with FTBR & MM quality pieces like bump steer front and back, coil overs, bushing, diff brace, new wheels, etc.....All in all I'm in to this Winter upgrade of coil overs, Cobra OEM 5 lug swap and IRS for about $6k. :eek: Most parts were purchased brand new but there's no regrets here ;)

As far as gaps between the tires/wheels in relation to the subframe bracket and the front coil overs I've been very curious as well and have been waiting for my alignment before getting the measurements. I'll likely get the measurements tomorrow so I can plan my next set of new 18" wheels.

cool, I'm sure you and I will be in the same boat with the next set of wheels... I think I'm gonna have to eventually bite the bullet and go custom. I'd really prefer to get the SVE Drift wheels but I'd have to see about getting them cut/welded/modified to the specs I need to make them fit right.

cool, I'm sure you and I will be in the same boat with the next set of wheels... I think I'm gonna have to eventually bite the bullet and go custom. I'd really prefer to get the SVE Drift wheels but I'd have to see about getting them cut/welded/modified to the specs I need to make them fit right.
It's hard to find people that will narrow or widen wheels. Some you need to ship your wheels to which makes the cost go up through the roof and then you need to repaint but probably still cost less than True Forge :shrug:. Hard part also is some people don't like to work with cast aluminum wheels which are all the SVE and less expensive brands.

It's hard to find people that will narrow or widen wheels. Some you need to ship your wheels to which makes the cost go up through the roof and then you need to repaint but probably still cost less than True Forge :shrug:. Hard part also is some people don't like to work with cast aluminum wheels which are all the SVE and less expensive brands.
Weld craft does the narrowing and widening

The offset for our IRS swapped cars is about 40mm. Do you think we could get away with longer hardened studs and hub centric spacers on the front ? I've got a Percy's wheelrite tool. I'll recheck my measurements this weekend.