My quest to an 11 second car

I saw some Summit knock offs of the CCW style drag rims. I think those are a better buy than the ProStars. They are a little more money than the Weld knock offs, but they don't have any clearance issues with the brakes.

Kurt
I'm running the stock 95 brake setup, with 16' Pony's right now. I wouldn't think switching to a 15' Prostar would have clearance issues?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm running the stock 95 brake setup, with 16' Pony's right now. I wouldn't think switching to a 15' Prostar would have clearance issues?

I have 15" ProStars. 15"x3.5" in the front and 15"x10" in the back. When I had stock brakes on my car, I had to take grinding wheel to the frames of the front brakes and take them down a little bit. Then I had to run about a 1/8" spacer that I got at Pep Boys. Not even close to fitting without some sort of spacer. It's not the end of the world, but I think the CCW wheels look better anyway, and it's not a whole lot more money. They are a hair heavier though.

Kurt

I have 15" ProStars. 15"x3.5" in the front and 15"x10" in the back. When I had stock brakes on my car, I had to take grinding wheel to the frames of the front brakes and take them down a little bit. Then I had to run about a 1/8" spacer that I got at Pep Boys. Not even close to fitting without some sort of spacer. It's not the end of the world, but I think the CCW wheels look better anyway, and it's not a whole lot more money. They are a hair heavier though.

Kurt
Hm... I may end up going with a set of Saleens possibly, 17' more than likely. That way I could upgrade brakes off of a Cobra maybe. Not sure, but I've got time either way, so it's all good. I can't stand the stopping power - or lack thereof, from my stock brakes.

I'm not a big fan of stock Cobra brakes. They seemed like a lot of unnecessary hassle last time I worked on them. They also don't have real floaters on them. Someone posted a set of Alcon Roush brakes not long ago, and they looked awesome, had real 4 piston calipers, and were priced pretty well. 17" wheels are going to suck for drag racing, though. I use Aerospace brakes, which suposedly stop as well as Cobra brakes, and will work with a 15" wheel. They were a bit of pita to install though. You have to cut the ears off the spindle, and drill mounting holes out of the old dustcover holes.

Kurt

I'm not a big fan of stock Cobra brakes. They seemed like a lot of unnecessary hassle last time I worked on them. They also don't have real floaters on them. Someone posted a set of Alcon Roush brakes not long ago, and they looked awesome, had real 4 piston calipers, and were priced pretty well. 17" wheels are going to suck for drag racing, though. I use Aerospace brakes, which suposedly stop as well as Cobra brakes, and will work with a 15" wheel. They were a bit of pita to install though. You have to cut the ears off the spindle, and drill mounting holes out of the old dustcover holes.

Kurt
My car's my daily. So far it's seen dragstrip duties only once every 2-3 months, and it's only 1/8 mile.

My car's my daily. So far it's seen dragstrip duties only once every 2-3 months, and it's only 1/8 mile.

You're doing better than I am then, my car only makes to the track every 2 or 3 years. :lol: I'm not suggesting anything, just giving you some information on what will work with what.

Kurt

You're doing better than I am then, my car only makes to the track every 2 or 3 years. :lol: I'm not suggesting anything, just giving you some information on what will work with what.

Kurt

:nice: I'll see what I can do. I'll save up the cash, and go from there. I'd love the Welds TBH, since there's only 2 other Mustangs in my area that roll around on them as dailys... Mustangs are enough of a 'me too' car, I'd love to run aroudn on Welds all day. Plus, it'll make people think I'm running a 10 second car. :rlaugh: When I ran around on open headers for a week, I even had a cop ask if I had a built up big cube motor under the hood. I told him it was a 302 and he goes "MAN, the thing sounds fast!". :D

Welds look awesome, im running 17's right now :D 11.75 out of them too lol..

Id honestly go around and see if you can buy a used pair, Saving money now is key! I know when i first got the car it was (it has to be new or its not touching my car) Now i could honestly care less lol.

Guess the guy didnt like me saying id like my refund because he shipped them out this morning.

Its going to rain but if it drys up enough for one run i guess I'll just learn on the fly lol.

Good luck on the wheel search :) I wanted draglites pretty bad but i went with what i could get. and its really easy to trade prostars for draglites :)